Hacking Sys-trans'd NAND injected into GW2.0b1 EmuNAND

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I thought it would be also an EmuNAND as its emulating 6.3 in a 4.x Enviroment aswell as redirecting, reminds me of when sneek came out and we could do similar on wii

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought it would be also an EmuNAND as its emulating 6.3 in a 4.x Enviroment aswell as redirecting, reminds me of when sneek came out and we could do similar on wii
Actually, it is a NAND copy...nothing emulated there.
And same goes for Wii, wrong terminology is used for that NAND too, that is also redirection.

Good example of emulating would be dolphin..

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To emulate means "to act like something". Fits the bill here. In the context of computer programs etc of course emulation also has a narrower definition, but that doesn't invalidate the broader one.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You should have a NAND.BIN file around 950MB in size. You didn't dump your NAND file fully, because your SD card is full. The Gateway menu also would have said "ERROR SD Full" when you were dumping it...

You don't understand. I want to make a backup of Gateway's EmuNAND data, which has been updated to 6.3 already. I already have a backup of my 4.1 NAND.BIN file.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You could use a linux live cd to do it fairly easily.

Find the relevant partition:
fdisk -l

Image:
dd if=/dev/*DISK PARTITION*/ of=nand.bin

Don't worry, I know how I'm going to do it already. Also, since it's unpartitioned, I doubt this would work.

deoFusion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't worry, I know how I'm going to do it already. Also, since it's unpartitioned, I doubt this would work.
dd can copy anything from any device, whether or not there is a partition. In any case, if your sd card was unpartitioned, it wouldn't support emuNAND and so your story doesn't make sense.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dd can copy anything from any device, whether or not there is a partition. In any case, if your sd card was unpartitioned, it wouldn't support emuNAND and so your story doesn't make sense.

Do you even think about what you're writing? :/ The part of the SD card that holds the EmuNAND's data is not partitioned. It's just written to the card in raw form.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Should be easy to find out where the emunand image is stored. The format function seems to place it simply at the beginning of the 3ds sdcard. We know it must be after the mbr however since that houses the partition table which references the fat32 partition.

Nobunaga

Empty
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just to let you know ^_^
I made a back up of my Monster Hunter which was on my 4.5.10 Nand and then I transferred it while I was on 6.X.X emunand I lost all of my apps and I had to Redownload them again but I could download Monster Hunter from the eshop :)

deoFusion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you even think about what you're writing? :/ The part of the SD card that holds the EmuNAND's data is not partitioned. It's just written to the card in raw form.
I don't have a gateway. I'm just using the same terminology as the gateway team:

Booting into Gateway mode will now automatically check for the emuNAND partition and emulate the system NAND using this partition. We have also included an option to boot into Classic mode that enables genuine retail gamecards and the emuNAND functionality, allowing it to run like a regular 3DS on latest firmware.
http://gateway-3ds.com/

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I was under the impression it made a 1gig partition for the EmuNAND, if its just writing raw to the start, why does it pad it out to 1gb ??

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The emuNand partition is just raw unallocated data, there is no formal "partition". The reason why is because how the the real nand is. The first 2097151 sectors is the emuNand after that it's a fat32 partition for the rest of the sd card. There is no partition name for the data, you try to dd the entire device and it will. Perhaps there is an option for dd to copy up to a certain sector...or after you dd the entire device then perhaps you could separate the 1GB section out of the rest of the file...

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was under the impression it made a 1gig partition for the EmuNAND, if its just writing raw to the start, why does it pad it out to 1gb ??
Because by default that space is part of the SDcard's fat partition. It has to use part of that partitions space and it can't reasonably resize and move it like say gparted (unix app) can. So it just kills all data on your sdcard, preps an mbr with partition table where the only partition starts 1GB into the sdcard and ends at the last block. Then it copies your nand into the unpartitioned space and formats the fat32 partition.

Should be trivial to dd the emunand directly from/to the device. Just dump the first megabyte, find the exact offset where the emunand starts by comparing the nand header to your backup nand's header (look for Nintendo magic bytes), then use the dd seek= parameter to specify offset and count= parameter to specify the number of blocks to copy (check the nand backup file size to determine how many to copy)

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few points....stop with the damned RedNand crap....look until someone releases RedNand it is in my mind vaporware.....sure the term may more properly describe what is actually happening, but so what.....If I gave you the Mona Lisa and said you must call it 'girl that looks like a dude' would it not be demeaning the work of a great artist? Gateway put the damned thing out and has coined it 'EmuNand' it's their official term and it is how we should be reffering to the prodcut/process to avoid confusion. When RedNand gets released (which I think will be never) and we are talking about it then that term can be used.

To the OP....thanks for your info on this...I was really dissapointed that EmuNand didn't support system transfer as I have 6.3 XL with a lot of good paid content on and and my transferred ambasador games and really want to get them on the Gateway XL. I am going to do the nand hardware mod as soon as I get in the little 4pin micro connectors I ordered to be able to install a nice detatchable solution on the modified XL. I will try your trick as well.

Last thought and that is in theory somone should be able to make a Hybrid Gateway Nand to install to the hardware Nand. This would be alot like the 4.x FW that modified PS3 uses (which still has a 3.55 core). Also, I heard this elsewhere but again in theory that modified Nand could be injected into the image of a game cart put on the Gateway and then installed like a normal update. Once these 'modified' firmwares get stable I think that would be really cool to have a 4.5/6.x hybrid on my system Nand so I could boot right to 'Gateway' mode on a cold boot.

n1ghty

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Last thought and that is in theory somone should be able to make a Hybrid Gateway Nand to install to the hardware Nand. This would be alot like the 4.x FW that modified PS3 uses (which still has a 3.55 core). Also, I heard this elsewhere but again in theory that modified Nand could be injected into the image of a game cart put on the Gateway and then installed like a normal update. Once these 'modified' firmwares get stable I think that would be really cool to have a 4.5/6.x hybrid on my system Nand so I could boot right to 'Gateway' mode on a cold boot.

We can't run unsigned content without starting an exploit first. Installing the GW stuff into NAND may be possible, but you would still need an exploit to gain root access and start the damn thing.
Until someone finds a hole in the signature checks (don't expect this to happen soon.. or ever...) we are stuck with those exploits and a CFW is just a dream which may never come true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc