Hacking SX Brickcode is Worse Than Expected, Can Trigger From Use

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How would one know if it is legit. This is the thread about the possibility of sx triggering the brick code so I just mention it.
Sorry that you are not smart enough to know it is not a question asking for a conclusive answer...

Did I trigger you in some way or why are you getting offensive now?
I just mentioned that you said you thought you might need to mention it, IF it was legit. Following that logic you shouldn't have posted it unless you definitely know that it is legit... Which you obviously don't (and that's not a problem at all, please don't get me wrong again).
I'm pretty sure you didn't intend to mean exactly that, but I just wanted to point you to that contradiction in your post.

Talk about being smart...

Btw, me asking you if you wanted others to look into this was rather because I wouldn't see any other necessity for linking to that thread. I'm not responsible for how you interpret that, but that was just out of curiosity.

Last edited by Axido,
Reactions: Essasetic

Netboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People just worrying over nothing. It's only one person out of how many people encountered this, and he's speaking for the masses where non of us tampered with the SX code. I'm not bricked yet, and until I do get bricked from "normal use" then I will look into it, but so far it's been doing well. I haven't been banned yet. I have been just using OFW to go online, and offline for TX. I didn't mess with LayeredFS.

Also, it was already explained you can get out of the brick issue easily so technically it's just a temporary brick, and not something where you would need to a full replacement.

I'm pretty sure TX are not that dumb to put it out there as a risk for their own reputation. After all, it's their 16 year old business, why would they just now think of risking their business like that? I'm pretty sure they have tested this before they released it. Just because one person says something doesn't mean TX doesn't know what they are doing. You can't seriously just rely on one person. It's like God came, and said the world would end tomorrow, and everyone freaks out. But he is not God, he's just a really talented developer who is equal or better than other developers. Everyone has a different way of thinking, and that is why TX is out there, and nobody else has tried to counter that, but instead just trying to find ways to attack TX because they came out first to the masses and not them. You can call it what you want, but there is a lot of butt hurt devs on TX because they got it out there fast, and made it simple for everyone to use. You think the public would want something complicated to just make it work on their Switch? nope! This is the reason why the open source community cannot get it out there fast enough because nobody wants to work together, and people are busy with their normal lives with their side jobs. TX on the other hand, they are focused on business because they don't need to focus on anything else. That's why they can put out a product that "works". Sure they may have borrowed or stolen code, but they wrote their own programming on top of that so it can work for the masses. It's the idea that innovates just like any company that innovates or copies etc.. Xerox ---> Apple ----> Microsoft ----> iOS ------> Android. You see where I am getting at? Look at the Rappers, and Hip Hop genres that just samples audio from other music, but hey it works, the crowd loves it. Even Michael Jackson took music from other artists, and made it his own, and called it his. He became the King of Pop and a legend to other talented musicians out there?

Let's just focus on the positive. Until this brick code finds a way to jizz all over your Switch and says Fuck you then we got a problem. As of now, people should be more worried about getting banned from Nintendo. Brick code is the least of your worries.

Reactions: blueoval24

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, it was already explained you can get out of the brick issue easily so technically it's just a temporary brick, and not something where you would need to a full replacement.
The brick code can do more than what hexkyz experienced and fixed.

rahaat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
People just worrying over nothing. It's only one person out of how many people encountered this, and he's speaking for the masses where non of us tampered with the SX code. I'm not bricked yet, and until I do get bricked from "normal use" then I will look into it, but so far it's been doing well. I haven't been banned yet. I have been just using OFW to go online, and offline for TX. I didn't mess with LayeredFS.

I'm pretty sure TX are not that dumb to put it out there as a risk for their own reputation. After all, it's their 16 year old business, why would they just now think of risking their business like that? I'm pretty sure they have tested this before they released it. Just because one person says something doesn't mean TX doesn't know what they are doing. You can't seriously just rely on one person. It's like God came, and said the world would end tomorrow, and everyone freaks out. But he is not God, he's just a really talented developer who is equal or better than other developers. Everyone has a different way of thinking, and that is why TX is out there, and nobody else has tried to counter that, but instead just trying to find ways to attack TX because they came out first to the masses and not them. You can call it what you want, but there is a lot of butt hurt devs on TX because they got it out there fast, and made it simple for everyone to use. You think the public would want something complicated to just make it work on their Switch? nope! This is the reason why the open source community cannot get it out there fast enough because nobody wants to work together, and people are busy with their normal lives with their side jobs. TX on the other hand, they are focused on business because they don't need to focus on anything else. That's why they can put out a product that "works". Sure they may have borrowed or stolen code, but they wrote their own programming on top of that so it can work for the masses. It's the idea that innovates just like any company that innovates or copies etc.. Xerox ---> Apple ----> Microsoft ----> iOS ------> Android. You see where I am getting at? Look at the Rappers, and Hip Hop genres that just samples audio from other music, but hey it works, the crowd loves it. Even Michael Jackson took music from other artists, and made it his own, and called it his. He became the King of Pop and a legend to other talented musicians out there?

Let's just focus on the positive. Until this brick code finds a way to jizz all over your Switch and says Fuck you then we got a problem. As of now, people should be more worried about getting banned from Nintendo. Brick code is the least of your worries.
k

Netboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The brick code can do more than what hexkyz experienced and fixed.

Then let's wait and see. We chose to wait or not to wait, but until there is another viable option, TX is here to stay. Brick code hasn't done any other damage to anyone else but Hex's Switch because he decided to tamper with it. I've been using it "normal use" just as how the instructions were given on the SX site. That is the only instructions anyone needs to use, and if those instructions manages to brick your Switch, then it would have made the rounds by now. This is more of the what if situation a normal user accidently did this and that, but so far there is no other evidence to prove otherwise that TX is dangerous. Only reason why Hex is up in arms is because he tampered with their SX code and got welcomed with a FU in his face. Nobody told him to tamper with it but himself. Shit if I got bricked by tampering I would be surprised too, and I would be tweeting about it. Common logical sense for a person to get threatened. Funny thing is, this is more of a concern than Nintendo banning your entire system. I think that's the number one priority is not getting banned with LayeredFS or SX Pro not some brick code that no normal user would even wonder how to activate.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on, you can't just throw that out and not elaborate.. what else can it do?
It's in the first post. In addition to the type of brick hexkyz triggered and fixed, SX OS tries to corrupt boot partitions, it's deployed on multiple stages across the boot chain, and it can be triggered accidentally without trying to crack the software.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's in the first post. In addition to the type of brick hexkyz triggered and fixed, SX OS tries to corrupt boot partitions, it's deployed on multiple stages across the boot chain, and it can be triggered accidentally without trying to crack the software.
That last part needs to be clarified, extensively.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guess we'll just have to wait and see if/when there are any real world examples of accidental triggering.

Btw I heard if you do the Konami combo while using SX OS it makes the baby Jesus cry :(

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Like the POC that he tells us to use a file with hekate and trigger it with "normal" use :P he doesnt know how to trigger it normally, if it were the case, he would said, you dont believe do this on sx os and you will get bricked
Guess we'll just have to wait and see if/when there are any real world examples of accidental triggering.

Btw I heard if you do the Konami combo while using SX OS it makes the baby Jesus cry :(
makes the open source baby jesus cry :P

Last edited by kamesenin888,

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's one of the things the write-up will accomplish.
His constant bashing against TX has already proven to me how biased that write-up can be too.

Until one more SX user switch gets bricked from "normal" use I'll be very skeptical of anything he writes about this subject.That's just my take though.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
His constant bashing against TX has already proven to me how biased that write-up can be too.

Until one more SX user switch gets bricked from "normal" use I'll be very skeptical of anything he writes about this subject.That's just my take though.
That's roughly how I feel. I mean, he knows what he's talking about.. But who knows how far his bias goes in this specific situation. I'd like to see what could accidentally trigger the brick.

Reactions: lukhart

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Lacius

Netboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

He doesn't' explain anything else. This is him already tampering with the code, and looking at the what if scenarios which is not normal use. He even told people to run the bin file which no normal user would do. Like how does this affect normal users? ZERO. This thread should be renamed to "How many ways I can brick my Switch while not on normal use".

ultramario1998

no woof tipsic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He doesn't' explain anything else. This is him already tampering with the code, and looking at the what if scenarios which is not normal use. He even told people to run the bin file which no normal user would do. Like how does this affect normal users? ZERO. This thread should be renamed to "How many ways I can brick my Switch while not on normal use".
Again, he's said a writeup is coming. Hold your butt.

Reactions: Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm