Switch will only boot from rcm on computer and will not otherwise turn on normally - is this fixable?

j4k0b7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I have an older Nintendo Switch that has been laying around for some time. This is because I essentially gave up on it due to it not being able to turn on at all long ago. It was a complete black screen and would not even register charging. Well, back then I was using SX OS. Fast forward to now, I randomly decide that I want to fix it if possible. After a bit of googling, I thought that switching over to Atmosphere might solve the issue. And it did but only partially. The device will only power on when booting from rcm mode on my computer. So for now, without a computer, this Switch is useless. Is there any way to fix this? It should be noted that this Switch was likely banned when an old friend who was unfamiliar with usage rules was using it. Which the ban for online is not so bad if the darn thing was still usable for physical games and emulators. But again, I cannot play any physical games or even power it on away from my laptop. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know of a fix? Thank you!

j4k0b7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you have enabled autorcm? So it automatically enter RCM and needs a payload. You can check with Hekate
I actually tried to both with in enable and not enabled. Either way, it will not power on without rcm and computer. I have now disabled autorcm again. Any further suggestions?

j4k0b7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it on AutoRCM?
It is not enabled, as shared. Still will not power on unless connected.
Post automatically merged:

Check firmware and fuse count.
So I don't really understand fuse count as I kinda did this on a basic, many tutorials and with friends help level. I did, however, go into HW & Fuses Info to this:
"Burnt Fuses (0DM 7/6): 16 - 0 (H0S: 13.2.1 -14.1.2)" - does anyone know what this means? if it is causing the problem, etc?

System version is 14.1.2AMS 1.6.2E - if that means anything. could this be an issue?

Last edited by j4k0b7,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
In Hekate when you start emummc do you have an option called Stock instead? If you do try that and see if it boots. If it does go to sitting and let us know what fw version you have

j4k0b7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Hekate when you start emummc do you have an option called Stock instead? If you do try that and see if it boots. If it does go to sitting and let us know what fw version you have
emuMMC Manage just has the Info & Tools, nothing called Stock. Just Create, Migrate, or Change emuMMC. Also, under Console Info, there is Storage & Battery then eMMC, which brings up some info, such as Vendor ID, Model, Prod Rev, S/N, etc. but do not see fw version. Those are really the only two places that I see emuMMC stuff. How should I proceed? Are these the wrong places? Sorry that I am quite unskilled at this but really appreciate the help from everyone. However, when I boot hekate, there are three options, one of them named something with Stock in it. So I booted Switch that way. System on Switch in Stock boot is 14.1.2. What would be next steps?

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
So when you boot stock it doesn't say anything about AMS in the version like when you boot emummc?
Then the fw version and fuse count matches and sysmmc can boot so it works. Strange why you can't boot directly then. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about that can help you as I don't really know what to do

j4k0b7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when you boot stock it doesn't say anything about AMS in the version like when you boot emummc?
Then the fw version and fuse count matches and sysmmc can boot so it works. Strange why you can't boot directly then. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about that can help you as I don't really know what to do
No, it doesn't/didn't. And now strangely enough, after leaving it for a moment and coming back it doesn't say the system version at all. It just says "System update is ready." under system. Thank you for trying to help.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extract the newest hekate.zip from its github site, to your SD, overwriting everything. Do the same for Atmosphere. Then allow the system update to run. But while you're on the hekate page, also read the main page, and give yourself the option to launch stock, by making the correct hekate_ipl.ini entry (this is what people have been asking you to do). If there is a cartridge in your system, remove it, and also check hekate_ipl.ini for lines that look like "autonogc=1". If you see that, change the 1 to a 0.

Keep in mind that updating will prevent you from booting into sxos, but that is useless nowadays anyway.

EDIT: I'll just spoon-feed you the .ini entry:

Code:
[Stock - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
emummc_force_disable=1
stock=1

If this stock option still gets you a blank screen, with no game cart inserted, then you might need to boot into sysmmc CFW, and install the firmware update using daybreak (you'll need to download the firmware files and unzip them to a folder on your SD).

Code:
[CFW - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1

And the very last option, if nothing else works, will cause you to loose all data. Power on while holding vol + and -, and restore factory settings.

Last edited by urherenow,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So I don't really understand fuse count as I kinda did this on a basic, many tutorials and with friends help level. I did, however, go into HW & Fuses Info to this:
"Burnt Fuses (0DM 7/6): 16 - 0 (H0S: 13.2.1 -14.1.2)" - does anyone know what this means? if it is causing the problem, etc?

System version is 14.1.2AMS 1.6.2E - if that means anything. could this be an issue?

What is sysnand/stock firmware?

j4k0b7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extract the newest hekate.zip from its github site, to your SD, overwriting everything. Do the same for Atmosphere. Then allow the system update to run. But while you're on the hekate page, also read the main page, and give yourself the option to launch stock, by making the correct hekate_ipl.ini entry (this is what people have been asking you to do). If there is a cartridge in your system, remove it, and also check hekate_ipl.ini for lines that look like "autonogc=1". If you see that, change the 1 to a 0.

Keep in mind that updating will prevent you from booting into sxos, but that is useless nowadays anyway.

EDIT: I'll just spoon-feed you the .ini entry:

Code:
[Stock - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
emummc_force_disable=1
stock=1

If this stock option still gets you a blank screen, with no game cart inserted, then you might need to boot into sysmmc CFW, and install the firmware update using daybreak (you'll need to download the firmware files and unzip them to a folder on your SD).

Code:
[CFW - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1

And the very last option, if nothing else works, will cause you to loose all data. Power on while holding vol + and -, and restore factory settings.
Thank you so much! Your advice worked. I extracted a new hekate + atmosphere, updated the system, added that first code to the .ini (bootloader) file, and changed the "autonogc=1" to a 0 in the other hekate_ipl (payloads) file [there were two hekate_ipl.ini files]. I did not need to use the step involving daybreak, thankfully. Again, really appreciate all your help!

Reactions: emcintosh

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With nogc enabled, the game cart reader doesn't get updated. In that case, booting OFW with a cart inserted, after updating FW to something that should have updated the cart reader as well (but didn't since it was disabled), will give you a black screen. This is just 1 of the things that can cause a black screen. Since the issue is solved, I don't want to rack my brain over which step was done to actually fix the issue.

I'm just glad OP didn't have to resort to try resetting to factory defaults.

Reactions: j4k0b7 and petspeed

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you so much! Your advice worked. I extracted a new hekate + atmosphere, updated the system, added that first code to the .ini (bootloader) file, and changed the "autonogc=1" to a 0 in the other hekate_ipl (payloads) file [there were two hekate_ipl.ini files]. I did not need to use the step involving daybreak, thankfully. Again, really appreciate all your help!
The other hekate_ipl is a copy, it does not get used. Only hekate_ipl.ini is used.
You generally don't want to touch autonogc, because attempting to use an older Switch firmware version with a newer game cart slot firmware version will crash the system. Which can happen if you update your sysNAND without updating your emuNAND at the same time, or vice versa.

Either way, you will need to update both at the same time to have game carts working, but if you update your sysNAND with autonogc=0, your emuNAND will not work until you set autonogc=1 again or take the game cart out, and same if you update your emuNAND with autonogc=0, your sysNAND will not work until you set autonogc=1 again or take the game cart out. Which is just added hassle for no benefit.
With nogc enabled, the game cart reader doesn't get updated. In that case, booting OFW with a cart inserted, after updating FW to something that should have updated the cart reader as well (but didn't since it was disabled), will give you a black screen. This is just 1 of the things that can cause a black screen. Since the issue is solved, I don't want to rack my brain over which step was done to actually fix the issue.

I'm just glad OP didn't have to resort to try resetting to factory defaults.
I believe that the moment you use a game cart with autonogc=0 the game cart slot firmware gets updated anyway so this scenario should never happen, but perhaps you mean the opposite (updating firmware/game cart slot on one NAND, and then booting an older FW on the other NAND), which certainly can happen.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: j4k0b7 and petspeed

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Thank you both for explaining
So if he had tried to boot ofw without a game cart inserted it should have booted fine.
Good that the issue is solved

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that the moment you use a game cart with autonogc=0 the game cart slot firmware gets updated anyway so this scenario should never happen
Nowhere did OP mention the use of emuemmc, yet my suggestion helped. Is there a section of switchbrew that talks about this? In fact, people with this issue, whether they use emuemmc or not, usually state that they can boot just fine as long as there is no cart inserted. Their solution is always to make nogc/autonogc=0. Then again, we also have no idea which version of atmosphere was on there before I told OP to grab the latest, and atmosphere 1.4.0 fixed a bug that would cause this issue with exfat-compatible firmware installed and nogc active…

just tried to Google nogc and didn’t find anything definitive about it.

Reactions: BigOnYa

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nowhere did OP mention the use of emuemmc, yet my suggestion helped. Is there a section of switchbrew that talks about this? In fact, people with this issue, whether they use emuemmc or not, usually state that they can boot just fine as long as there is no cart inserted. Their solution is always to make nogc/autonogc=0. Then again, we also have no idea which version of atmosphere was on there before I told OP to grab the latest, and atmosphere 1.4.0 fixed a bug that would cause this issue with exfat-compatible firmware installed and nogc active…

just tried to Google nogc and didn’t find anything definitive about it.
They did, actually:

Note: 1.6.2E

Reactions: urherenow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto