Switch Online subscribers can play Mario Tennis Aces free for limited time, with new "game trials"

Z6ceAhQ.png

Nintendo is rolling out a new idea to help make their Nintendo Switch Online service more appealing. Starting on August 7th, any current subscribers to NSO will be able to play Mario Tennis Aces for free, using Nintendo's newly introduced Game Trials. You'll be able to play as much of the game as you want until August 13th, in which the trial will end, and afterward, Nintendo will hold a 33% off sale for those interested in buying the game, following the week-long demo. Any progress you make in the Game Trial version of the game will be carried over to the full product, should you choose to purchase it. Currently, this deal has only been announced for the EU/UK, while Japan will be offering Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker as their first Game Trial title. There's no word on if this will be coming to North America yet.

Edit: North America will be getting this too.

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's short sighted to require an online subscription to demo a game

Yes it's the full game, not a traditional demo

But ultimately if the whole point is to get people to buy it - a bigger audience is a better idea

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario Bros. 3 is not D-list. Unless you mean "it's so good, it's the dick", to which I agree.
I mean currently. Of course some NES games are true classics, but every recent month has been bottom of the barrel NES games.

Donkey Kong 3? Volleyball? Star Soldier? Ever since Feb. of this year, they've reached the end of the line when it comes to standout old-school Nintendo games. That's not to say that some of the newer offerings aren't good, but...

An extremely short demo window for a new Switch game seems far more appealing than the addition of Volleyball, for the NES. Nintendo needed to do something to make their service more than just dusty NES games and jank online, because they apparently refuse to move on to the SNES despite it being a smart choice.

Reactions: Xzi and x65943

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Certainly a step in the right direction for Ninty's online program, but how succesful it is in terms of luring in new subscribers will hinge on whatever future titles they provide as 'demos' being made available. If it's a succession of first party and triple A third party offerings it should do well.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean currently. Of course some NES games are true classics, but every recent month has been bottom of the barrel NES games.

Donkey Kong 3? Volleyball? Star Soldier? Ever since Feb. of this year, they've reached the end of the line when it comes to standout old-school Nintendo games. That's not to say that some of the newer offerings aren't good, but...

An extremely short demo window for a new Switch game seems far more appealing than the addition of Volleyball, for the NES. Nintendo needed to do something to make their service more than just dusty NES games and jank online, because they apparently refuse to move on to the SNES despite it being a smart choice.
I agree. Except I think the volleyball game is a classic as well.
But yes, they should release old titles up to and including n64, in my opinion.

Reactions: x65943

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think it's short sighted to require an online subscription to demo a game

Yes it's the full game, not a traditional demo

But ultimately if the whole point is to get people to buy it - a bigger audience is a better idea

If they want to make a difference for the online subscribers and appeal to a wider public, they should go for the demo system they had on the Nintendo 3DS, with the no-subscribers having a limited uses for the demo and maybe not the full game.

Regarding the whole topic, I maintain my words that I only use my yearly subscription for Smash, Splatoon and Mario Kart (being Smash the worst experience), otherwise I would not have bought anything, at this point this "service" has the lowest appeal compared to other similar services from the competence.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. Except I think the volleyball game is a classic as well.
But yes, they should release old titles up to and including n64, in my opinion.
I'd rather have an N64 classic, hopefully with some ninty made controllers with better sticks

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn, Japan were getting Captain Toad. Was hoping we'd see the same! A week is definitely long enough to beat the adventure mode, so it's definitely worth trying if you haven't already.

Just a shame this one's already sat on my Switch lol

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's okay, but just okay and probably the best one since GBA, but that one is legendary.
This one has far better tennis than any other game in the series. The gameplay is absolutely on point, but the GBA version's adventure mode was just so fun. I don't understand why they don't go back to something like that, though the adventure mode on offer here is a step in the right direction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips