Switch Online subscribers can play Mario Tennis Aces free for limited time, with new "game trials"

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 1, 2019.

Front-page
    Z6ceAhQ.

Nintendo is rolling out a new idea to help make their Nintendo Switch Online service more appealing. Starting on August 7th, any current subscribers to NSO will be able to play Mario Tennis Aces for free, using Nintendo's newly introduced Game Trials. You'll be able to play as much of the game as you want until August 13th, in which the trial will end, and afterward, Nintendo will hold a 33% off sale for those interested in buying the game, following the week-long demo. Any progress you make in the Game Trial version of the game will be carried over to the full product, should you choose to purchase it. Currently, this deal has only been announced for the EU/UK, while Japan will be offering Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker as their first Game Trial title. There's no word on if this will be coming to North America yet.

Edit: North America will be getting this too.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (76 replies)
  1. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    About time. Nintendo is finally taking lessons on how to make an online subscription actually good. Even if they are babysteps.

Last edited by leafeon34, Aug 1, 2019
    RaikuGMR, Karones, rob4 and 6 others like this.
  2. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Sadly this game is not even half as good as the GBA one

3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It's no PS+/XBL Gold/Humble Bundle...but, it's certainly better than a handful of D-list NES games.

4. SkittleDash

SkittleDash GBANep

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Nice! I haven't connected to their servers in a long time though. Don't even know if I'm banned or not. lol

Ericthegreat and IncredulousP like this.
  5. aarti

aarti Killua Zoldyck

Jul 24, 2017
    Germany
    Guess who's on vacations on this week.

6. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    I think it's short sighted to require an online subscription to demo a game

Yes it's the full game, not a traditional demo

But ultimately if the whole point is to get people to buy it - a bigger audience is a better idea

7. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    a Fuking van
    Super Mario Bros. 3 is not D-list. Unless you mean "it's so good, it's the dick", to which I agree.

x65943 likes this.
  8. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I mean currently. Of course some NES games are true classics, but every recent month has been bottom of the barrel NES games.

Donkey Kong 3? Volleyball? Star Soldier? Ever since Feb. of this year, they've reached the end of the line when it comes to standout old-school Nintendo games. That's not to say that some of the newer offerings aren't good, but...

An extremely short demo window for a new Switch game seems far more appealing than the addition of Volleyball, for the NES. Nintendo needed to do something to make their service more than just dusty NES games and jank online, because they apparently refuse to move on to the SNES despite it being a smart choice.

Xzi and x65943 like this.
  9. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Certainly a step in the right direction for Ninty's online program, but how succesful it is in terms of luring in new subscribers will hinge on whatever future titles they provide as 'demos' being made available. If it's a succession of first party and triple A third party offerings it should do well.

10. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    a Fuking van
    I agree. Except I think the volleyball game is a classic as well.
    But yes, they should release old titles up to and including n64, in my opinion.

x65943 likes this.
  11. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Personally, I'd play Star Soldier over 98% of the NES titles they've released so far.

IncredulousP likes this.
  12. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    If they want to make a difference for the online subscribers and appeal to a wider public, they should go for the demo system they had on the Nintendo 3DS, with the no-subscribers having a limited uses for the demo and maybe not the full game.

Regarding the whole topic, I maintain my words that I only use my yearly subscription for Smash, Splatoon and Mario Kart (being Smash the worst experience), otherwise I would not have bought anything, at this point this "service" has the lowest appeal compared to other similar services from the competence.

x65943 likes this.
  13. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    I'd rather have an N64 classic, hopefully with some ninty made controllers with better sticks

NoNAND and IncredulousP like this.
  14. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    How is this new when they already did this on the 3ds ? Wondering what Nintendo is smoking calling this new when they have been doing trials for quite some years now

IncredulousP likes this.
  15. Scarlet

Scarlet In Memoriam of Mag Staff Mouse

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Damn, Japan were getting Captain Toad. Was hoping we'd see the same! A week is definitely long enough to beat the adventure mode, so it's definitely worth trying if you haven't already.

Just a shame this one's already sat on my Switch lol

loler55 and IncredulousP like this.
  16. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    It's okay, but just okay and probably the best one since GBA, but that one is legendary.

17. Scarlet

Scarlet In Memoriam of Mag Staff Mouse

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    This one has far better tennis than any other game in the series. The gameplay is absolutely on point, but the GBA version's adventure mode was just so fun. I don't understand why they don't go back to something like that, though the adventure mode on offer here is a step in the right direction.

18. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo ToMClassic

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    That's nice I guess, but I'd much rather they give out better games to keep. NES games are cute and all, but it's time to start pulling in games from the substantially better SNES library, Nintendo, which is what you should've done in the first place.

CaptainSodaPop and NoNAND like this.
  19. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    To make it [Nintendo Online] more appealing, just f*cking rework your netcode.

wiewiec likes this.