Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Jollyboat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
If the console has any Internet settings and you don't block the connection with Nintendo's servers, system updates are always automatically downloaded; this is a feature that cannot be disabled.

With regards to updating, there is usually no issue but on firmware 11.0, there is an update for the cartridge slot. This update is irreversible and prevents cartridges from being using on any firmware below 11.0. Not updating your cartridge slot can be relevant for a future exploit that requires a lower firmware and an un-updated cartridge slot. If you care about this, there is a way to prevent the update via nogc. What nogc does is "break" your cartridge slot because if the cartridge slot is not working then it cannot be updated. However it is also fine if you don't care but remember that you cannot undo the cartridge slot update. So in essence you have 2 options: either update the cartridge slot and never be able to use carts on firmware versions below 11.0 or irreversibly update the cartridge slot in order to use cartridges on firmware versions on 11.0 and higher.

Thank you Draxzelex for such a detailed and quick explanation, much appreciated!

Dethil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I recently got unpatched switch and I was going to hack it after I get a new 256gb microsd memorycard. I'm thinking of keeping the stock sysmmc clean for using it to play some cartridge games online if I ever get some and Emummc for homebrew and stuff. So, heres what I would like to know, should i just add 1 boot option to hekate_ipl file as in emummc cfw atmosphere with sigpatches, since I can boot the stock sysnand by turning the switch off and on? I dont plan on using autorcm. Heres the hekate_ipl.ini file settings im thinking of using:

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
backlight=100

[CFW - emuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1
atmosphere=1
icon=bootloader/res/emu_boot.bmp

Is this fine?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got unpatched switch and I was going to hack it after I get a new 256gb microsd memorycard. I'm thinking of keeping the stock sysmmc clean for using it to play some cartridge games online if I ever get some and Emummc for homebrew and stuff. So, heres what I would like to know, should i just add 1 boot option to hekate_ipl file as in emummc cfw atmosphere with sigpatches, since I can boot the stock sysnand by turning the switch off and on? I dont plan on using autorcm. Heres the hekate_ipl.ini file settings im thinking of using:

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
backlight=100

[CFW - emuMMC]
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1
atmosphere=1
icon=bootloader/res/emu_boot.bmp

Is this fine?
If you don't mind irreversibly burning your fuses thus preventing you from being able to utilize any future exploits such as a theoretical untethered coldboot, you don't have to.

Reactions: Dethil

Dethil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you don't mind irreversibly burning your fuses thus preventing you from being able to utilize any future exploits such as a theoretical untethered coldboot, you don't have to.

My switch is currently at newest firmware, had to do update since there were some user accounts which couldnt be removed unless I updated it. Doesn't the switch burn a fuse anyway if I update the firmware normal way even if I have launched the stock sysmmc from Hekate?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is currently at newest firmware, had to do update since there were some user accounts which couldnt be removed unless I updated it. Doesn't the switch burn a fuse anyway if I update the firmware normal way even if I have launched the stock sysmmc from Hekate?
Yes, you can check your burned fuse count inside hekate boot menu even. 11.0.1 = 15 burned fuses if always updated normal

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No because Hekate skips the fuse check.

Dethil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ah I misread that. Because of that, I just launch CFW offline to install system updates to preserve my fuses.
What firmware version do you use? I plan to use cfw only on emummc which stays offline, I can use daybreak to update that if needed, right? And updating ofw normally even if it burns fuses?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What firmware version do you use? I plan to use cfw only on emummc which stays offline, I can use daybreak to update that if needed, right? And updating ofw normally even if it burns fuses?
My sysMMC is on the latest firmware which I use to go online with. And you can update emuMMC with Daybreak or even ChoiDujourNX.

Fuses are burnt when you load a firmware higher than the fuse count with the stock bootloader. This is why booting with Hekate doesn't burn the fuses; because Hekate skips the fuse check. This is also why using AutoRCM is a necessity for avoiding burning fuses as it prevents the stock bootloader from being launched.

Reactions: Dethil and BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have a original NAND, Boot0/1 backup from before you ran any CFW, and don't plan on going online at all, it doesn't matter what firmware you use, but newest the better as for newer games coming out that may require higher firmwares, but if you are using a SX Mod chip, Do Not go above 11.0.

Dethil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
As long as you have a original NAND, Boot0/1 backup from before you ran any CFW, and don't plan on going online at all, it doesn't matter what firmware you use, but newest the better as for newer games coming out that may require higher firmwares, but if you are using a SX Mod chip, Do Not go above 11.0.
I haven't ran any cfw yet, only used fusee test payload from rcm to see if it works. Not gonna get sx modchip or sx os. I was eventually going to buy the rcmloader payloader thingy, but I guess the autorcm is the way to go, to preserve fuses? Doesnt autorcm drain battery more?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't ran any cfw yet, only used fusee test payload from rcm to see if it works. Not gonna get sx modchip or sx os. I was eventually going to buy the rcmloader payloader thingy, but I guess the autorcm is the way to go, to preserve fuses? Doesnt autorcm drain battery more?
AutoRCM does not drain the battery any more than normal stock or CFW usage. Anything you heard regarding that is based off of misinformation and is nowhere near the truth.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you do anything else, if you haven't yet, you should format a fat32 sd card and get your NAND, Boot 0/1 backup first! It will be about 30GB of info. and will take a few, but so important! Use hekate to get.

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Dethil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
AutoRCM does not drain the battery any more than normal stock or CFW usage. Anything you heard regarding that is based off of misinformation and is nowhere near the truth.
So I should add this hekate_ipl.ini to run stock sysmmc without atmosphere or any cfw:

[Stock - sysMMC]
emummc_force_disable=1
stock=1
icon=bootloader/res/stock_boot.bmp

Before you do anything else, if you haven't yet, you should format a fat32 sd card and get your NAND, Boot 0/1 backup first! It will be about 30GB of info. and will take a few, but so important!
Yeah, will do that first once I get new microsd card. Currently I don't have a spare one.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I should add this hekate_ipl.ini to run stock sysmmc without atmosphere or any cfw:

[Stock - sysMMC]
emummc_force_disable=1
stock=1
icon=bootloader/res/stock_boot.bmp

Yeah, will do that first once I get new microsd card. Currently I don't have a spare one.
DON'T RUN ANY CFW UNTIL YOU DO A NAND, BOOT0/1 BACKUP, OR ELSE BACKUP IS USELESS!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY