Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Itsuki235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there is the version of firmware you are currently running which is the version of Horizon, the switch's operating system, this is called "Official firmware" or OFW and then there is some version of patches to the Horizon OS that is called custom firmware or "CFW".

So Atmosphere CFW v0.12.0 supports Horizon/OFW 10.0.1 currently (and all previous OFW versions). It is also possible to do Atmosphere CFW 0.12.0 on OFW 9.2 and everything will also work. Running OFW without CFW is known as running the "stock" firmware, which means that Horizon is running without any custom patches applied.

Changing the versions of patches applied has nothing to do with the Horizon version besides needing to update them occasioanlly a.k.a. updating the CFW.

The deal with fuses is that, if you are not using "recovery mode" to boot the switch, they will be burnt whenever booting into Horizon from a coldboot state and each OFW requires a certain # of fuses burnt. coldboot->power button->OFW = burnt fuses. So without recovery mode, booting into OFW from coldboot will not be possible when using an older version of Horizon (if Horizon has been downgraded) because too many fuses have already been burnt. That is probably what you are hearing on forums a lot. That part is not nonsese.

However, this fuses problem is bypassed 100% by enabling recovery mode which skips the fuses check/burning process completely, so then you can do "cold boot->recovery mode->OFW" or "cold boot->recovery mode->CFW" and no fuses are ever burnt or checked. There is no reason to downgrade, but even if you ever did, all you would have to do is to enter recovery mode and then boot into OFW for everything to work normally.

Reactions: Qrawler2

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@jacobtc :
You are in the same boat than me.
Except mine is clean 4.1, and on 8.2 and want to update sysNAND (for online) and keep current data (actually savegames on sysNAND) by putting it into emuNAND.

Very big steps idea:
First, I suggest you use a homebrew to backup your savegames (checkpoint for example).
Then, like itsuki suggested to me, start by restoring your clean NAND dump. if you didn't burn fuse you'll be able to boot it officially without RCM.
update it officially, (here choose whether you want to burn fuse or not. it's easier to let it burn. not wanting to burn means you'll need RCM to boot sysNAND, and it won't be a real clean OFW)
then follow hacking guide on 10.x to make a new clean NAND dump (matching your new burned fuses) and an emuNAND partition
restore your savegames you did on step1 into emuNAND CFW

If by "data you want to keep" you talked about installed games, you'll have to reinstall them.
if you want to prevent having to reinstall games, just make a emuNAND based on your current 8.0 before downgrading sysNAND.
Then, you'll need to update your emuNAND with ChoixdujourNX if you want 10 on emuNAND too.

So, it's either :
1) backup savegames -> restore old clean -> update to 10 -> make emuNAND from 10 -> restore savegames to emuNAND
or
2) make emuNAND from 8 -> restore old clean sysNAND -> update sysNAND to 10 -> optionally update emuNAND to 10.

When using 1) then installed games you had on sysNAND which are not official (nsp/xci) will need to be moved to SD before restoring sysNAND, then move/rename the "nintendo" folder to "emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo". or just need to be reinstalled later manually on emuNAND.
It's not needed when using 2)

edit: hmmm, aren't "data moving" introduced only in HOS10? I guess you'll have to reinstall these games then :)
OR first update to 10 with choixNX to move games to SD:/nintendo/ and then rename the folder.
sd:/Nintendo/ should contain legal games
sd:/emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo/ will be used by emuNAND

I hope I don't provide bad advice. Feel free to correct me Itsuki !

Last edited by Cyan,

jacobtc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@jacobtc :
You are in the same boat than me.
Except mine is clean 4.1, and on 8.2 and want to update sysNAND (for online) and keep current data (actually savegames on sysNAND) by putting it into emuNAND.

Very big steps idea:
First, I suggest you use a homebrew to backup your savegames (checkpoint for example).
Then, like itsuki suggested to me, start by restoring your clean NAND dump. if you didn't burn fuse you'll be able to boot it officially without RCM.
update it officially, (here choose whether you want to burn fuse or not. it's easier to let it burn. not wanting to burn means you'll need RCM to boot sysNAND, and it won't be a real clean OFW)
then follow hacking guide on 10.x to make a new clean NAND dump (matching your new burned fuses) and an emuNAND partition
restore your savegames you did on step1 into emuNAND CFW

If by "data you want to keep" you talked about installed games, you'll have to reinstall them.
if you want to prevent having to reinstall games, just make a emuNAND based on your current 8.0 before downgrading sysNAND.
Then, you'll need to update your emuNAND with ChoixdujourNX if you want 10 on emuNAND too.

So, it's either :
backup savegames -> restore old clean -> update to 10 -> make emuNAND from 10 -> restore savegames to emuNAND
or
make emuNAND from 8 -> restore old clean sysNAND -> update sysNAND to 10 -> optionally update emuNAND to 10.

Installed games you had on sysNAND which are not official (nsp/xci) will need to be moved to SD before restoring sysNAND, then move/rename the "nintendo" folder to "emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo".
edit: hmmm, aren't "data moving" introduced only in HOS10? I guess you'll have to reinstall these games then :)
OR first update to 10 with choixNX to move games to SD:/nintendo/ and then rename the folder.
sd:/Nintendo/ should contain legal games
sd:/emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo/ will be used by emuNAND

Awesome, thanks! The only thing I'm worried about is to make my Sysnand "dirty". I wan't to be able to play online, so having a clean SysNAND is important, so using RCM, would that make it "dirty"?

Itsuki235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
backup savegames -> restore old clean -> update to 10 -> make emuNAND from 10 -> restore savegames to emuNAND
or
make emuNAND from 8 -> restore old clean sysNAND -> update sysNAND to 10 -> optionally update emuNAND to 10.

Installed games you had on sysNAND which are not official (nsp/xci) will need to be moved to SD before restoring sysNAND, then move/rename the "nintendo" folder to "emuMMC/RAW1/Nintendo".
OR first update to 10 with choixNX, move games to SD.

This is correct. The only point of clarification I would add is that if going the sysNAND 8.0 -> create emuNAND from 8.0 route that the contents of the internal memory (32 GB) should be present on the emuNAND after creating it already so there is no need to move anything to the SD card first. If titles were installed to the SD card, then I would recommend reinstalling them, instead of moving folders around.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

so using RCM, would that make it "dirty"?
Sysnand does not become dirty when using AutoRCM or recovery mode.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ah good point about installed games and no need to move them to SD if creating emuNAND from CFW8.0.

using RCM means it's not booting with the official boot loader.
Using hekate to boot into sysNAND using "stock" still applies some patches, so it's not 100% clean or official.
currently Nintendo is probably not checking that, but it's not hard to change and do it (like checking fuse count).
Currently, it's safe.

it doesn't become dirty by "just using" RCM to boot into CFW. Only if you use "stock" option to boot into sysNAND.

Last edited by Cyan,

jacobtc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Using hekate to boot into sysNAND using "stock" still applies some patches, so it's not 100% clean or official.
currently Nintendo is probably not checking that, but it's not hard to change and do it (like checking fuse count).
Currently, it's safe.

it doesn't become dirty by "just using" RCM to boot into CFW. Only if you use "stock" option to boot into sysNAND.

Sure, but I will probably boot into sysNAND to go online, and use EmuNAND for all the other "banable" stuff...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you need a more detailed steps, or what I explained is enough for you to understand what you need to do?
especially on keeping your current data to emuNAND. I don't need that step, so I added at the end of my previous post for you.

jacobtc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you need a more detailed steps, or what I explained is enough for you to understand what you need to do?
especially on keeping your current data to emuNAND. I don't need that step, so I added at the end of my previous post for you.
No thats plenty, thanks! I don't care about the games, just my saves.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BTW, do you have a tip on removing the second user? I purchased the Switch second hand, but the previous user never deleted his profile, so I now have his user show up, every time I launch a game, is it possible to get rid of this in the process as well?

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The user is already deleted, but games still ask which user is playing?
if not deleted, you should be able to do it in the acount management (top left, no? or in settings)
sorry, I don't really know :P

Geridious4

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My switch died while having atmosphere running on it, I was able to charge it and being able to turn it on normally without custom firmware, however when I send the payload to it, i see atmosphere logo but then the switch turns off, have to do the 3rd party cable trick again to turn it back on, but keeps doing this cycle, what should i do?

jacobtc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The user is already deleted, but games still ask which user is playing?
if not deleted, you should be able to do it in the acount management (top left, no? or in settings)
sorry, I don't really know :P
No, the user isn't deleted. To delete it, I have to go online, which wouldn't be safe, running Atmosphere.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know you needed online to manage account on the console. I thought I added my brother's account offline once already in cfw, no online was needed. I guess yours is tied to an NNID? but then wouldn't you need his login/pass?
doing it on the restored clean NAND online wouldn't be possible?
you'll make emunand after deleting it.

Last edited by Cyan,

jacobtc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't know you needed online to manage account on the console. I thought I added my brother's account offline once already in cfw, no online was needed. I guess yours is tied to an NNID? but then wouldn't you need his login/pass?
doing it on the restored clean NAND online wouldn't be possible?
you'll make emunand after deleting it.
I have no idea if I need his login/pass, but this was two years ago I bought it, so contacting him would be difficult. Is there some Factory Restore I can do after updating my clean nand to 10.0?

Venomfwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys. Please have mercy on me here as I'm not an ignorant jerk, but I cannot figure out my head from my tail now and I'm starting to see double with all of the information that's out there. It's been a long day and a half.

Got a hackable switch yesterday. I'm also using a Mac, which I know works against me. Switch is on newest firmware.

Someone had told me to use SDsetup's guide. I did that, did the "backup steps" for the EMUMMC and through a lot of trial and error, finally got the Kosmos bundle working on the switch. Only problem was, with NSPs, half would install, half wouldn't - and that's after finding the post in here about sig patches which I'm not allowed to link to because I'm new.

I was trying to see if i put the patches on correctly or not (because I couldn't install half of the games), and now I'm constantly just getting the same error - 010041544d53000, and it just reboots back into atmosphere, and gives the error again. It used to boot to Hekate where I could "fix the bit" or whatever on the SD card so it would run properly.

Really, I just need some guidance. Please. I'm willing to totally start over if someone can help me, with steps. How can I get CFW properly running so I can install games?

Is there a "build" I should use from SD setup? Should I be using atmosphere 11.1 or 12.0? How do I properly install those sig patches (do they always "replace" the folder, or do they sit within it)?

I'm just really frustrated because I had everything half-working and now I constantly get a loop of this fatal error.

I appreciate anyone who can help me. Thanks!

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey chaps, could I just get some clarity on migrating emummc to a larger sd card? Am I correct in thinking..

Image current card,
Write to new card
Move emummc partition to the end of the partition table.
Expand the FAT32 partition.
Profit!

BladeRunner64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah good point about installed games and no need to move them to SD if creating emuNAND from CFW8.0.

Currently, it's safe.

So the only safe way to boot into sysNAND 100% safely is doing it normally? i.e. just hitting the power button? I just got my Switch hacked today, and I booted into OFW using Hetake. Should I restore my NAND, then?

Last edited by BladeRunner64,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, 100% official boot method is always cleaner (not necessarily safer, just cleaner).
it doesn't mean that using hekate is bad or will ban you, it just didn't happen or has been reported yet.
I don't want to frighten others by saying it's altered, I'm just stating what I see, using hekate to boot stock is still dependent to atmosphere and sept workaround.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: BladeRunner64

BladeRunner64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, 100% official boot method is always cleaner.
it doesn't mean that using hekate is bad or will ban you, it just didn't happen or has been reported yet.
I don't want to frighten others by saying it's altered, I'm just stating what I see, using hekate to boot stock is still dependent to atmosphere and sept workaround.

What workarounds are you referring to? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

jacobtc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well, 100% official boot method is always cleaner.
So AutoRCM is a no go? I have a payload injector and has always used AutoRCM, but got confused when the Atmosphere logo popped up, when I launched Sysnand from Hekate...
Oh yeah, I got everything setup, and got the other user deleted by making a factory restore after updating stock to 10.1.

Reactions: Cyan

BladeRunner64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So AutoRCM is a no go? I have a payload injector and has always used AutoRCM, but got confused when the Atmosphere logo popped up, when I launched Sysnand from Hekate...
Oh yeah, I got everything setup, and got the other user deleted by making a factory restore after updating stock to 10.1.
It's apparently not 100% safe, no, although there are no reported bans yet. If the Atmosphere logo popped up, you're in emuNAND, not sysNAND. Check your firmware in system settings.

Last edited by BladeRunner64,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?