Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Nerd_Rage_LBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, forgive me for being only my second post. I almost have similar issues to post #43,683. My switch has been modded with picofly and it has been awhile since I have used it (approx 1 year ish).

I tried to update/install but ran into a boot error the first time (AIO Update).
Then searched into HATS (but it has moved?).
Then ended up getting to where I am VIA rentry without RCM (I do have a backup of the SD before rentry) but this time is does boot but feels incomplete... dirty...
I was going from version approx (FW 16 AMS 1.5.5) to FW18.0.0 AMS1.7.0

Could someone help me out with some information and/or up to date sources? I don't care about saving saves and game data, I rather have clean, working install.

All is appreciated, thank you in advance...

Old Hekate was 6.0.7 ?
IMG20240428005202.jpg
IMG20240428005255.jpg
IMG_20240428_005646.jpg

I booted into AMS, instead of showing version... it says "System update is ready"

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there, forgive me for being only my second post. I almost have similar issues to post #43,683. My switch has been modded with picofly and it has been awhile since I have used it (approx 1 year ish).

I tried to update/install but ran into a boot error the first time (AIO Update).
Then searched into HATS (but it has moved?).
Then ended up getting to where I am VIA rentry without RCM (I do have a backup of the SD before rentry) but this time is does boot but feels incomplete... dirty...
I was going from version approx (FW 16 AMS 1.5.5) to FW18.0.0 AMS1.7.0

Could someone help me out with some information and/or up to date sources? I don't care about saving saves and game data, I rather have clean, working install.

All is appreciated, thank you in advance...
If you just go back a couple of posts before yours, you will find @Blythe93 posted a very thorough method of updating the Switch. You should read it. Don't rely on AIO Updater or pre-made SD packs. Do it manually.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you just go back a couple of posts before yours, you will find @Blythe93 posted a very thorough method of updating the Switch. You should read it. Don't rely on AIO Updater or pre-made SD packs. Do it manually.

Meh. I just don't buy that about AIO. I chalk up most peoples problems with it to user error rather than a fault of AIO.

But yeah. If you don't care about saves and game data & want a completely clean fresh start:

Format your Switch
Update Switch to 18.0.1 via normal updating process
Delete wifi connection and put Switch in Airplane mode
Format sd card
Follow rentry guide from the beginning. When you get to Section 2 "CFW Guides", choose Atmosphere with EmuNAND for your model of Switch

Reactions: Nerd_Rage_LBC

Nerd_Rage_LBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ref to post #49,698 ?
Thank you kind fella for pointing to that, 3rd shift side effects :sleep:

Yeah, I turned to doing it manually because after I used the AIO, I had package and fusee errors... then I started to read off of rentry to try to do from scratch but I didn't have certain things in that prior post. Can't wait to see how it goes tomorrow, for now it's bedtime.

YamiJustin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Been having some issues with my CFW Switch maybe someone can help? I stepped away from Switch softmodding and all that for a while so I forget how everything goes.
I updated hekate to the latest version, although it only lets me boot into sysmmc or whatever it's called.
I can play most of my installed games, however some new ones I tried give me a black screen.
In the system settings it says this: Current version 9.2.0/AMS and 1.7.0IS
I have the latest version of atmosphere but I used something called package 3 files because I needed some sigpatches or something
Anyway, where should I go next? Why would some newly installed games launch into a black screen?
And why can I only launch sysmmc from hekate? Is that what I should be doing?
Thanks~

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Been having some issues with my CFW Switch maybe someone can help? I stepped away from Switch softmodding and all that for a while so I forget how everything goes.
I updated hekate to the latest version, although it only lets me boot into sysmmc or whatever it's called.
I can play most of my installed games, however some new ones I tried give me a black screen.
In the system settings it says this: Current version 9.2.0/AMS and 1.7.0IS
I have the latest version of atmosphere but I used something called package 3 files because I needed some sigpatches or something
Anyway, where should I go next? Why would some newly installed games launch into a black screen?
Thanks~

The reason you can't play new games is because you're on FW 9.2.0. The latest is 18.0.1. Newer games require newer firmware.

Sigpatches will no longer work as that function was removed from the latest Atmosphere. You need to install sys-patch to your SD card. https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-patch-sysmod-that-patches-on-boot.633517/

Only being able to boot to sysMMC sounds like a problem with your hekate ini file. Please post the contents of your hekate_ipl.ini file.

I also recommend this: https://rentry.org/UpdateCFWAndFW

YamiJustin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the response. Hm I see, I'll have to learn how to apply these sys-patches. I'll check out that link.
Here is my hekate ini:
[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=0
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
backlight=100

[CFW - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
atmosphere=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp

[CFW - emuMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
kip1patch=nosigchk
emummcforce=1
atmosphere=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_payload.bmp

[Stock - sysMMC]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
emummc_force_disable=1
stock=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp

Also should I follow the bottom link and update the official firmware using that method? I do have daybreak on my switch but no copy of official firmware 18.0.1.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I've made a detailed guide about updating Switch CFW setup here.
Old Hekate was 6.0.7 ?
View attachment 434300View attachment 434301View attachment 434302
I booted into AMS, instead of showing version... it says "System update is ready"
To remove any pending update you might have, you can delete them by going into maintenance mode. Here you can find steps.

If you want to start from scratch, I recommend following either NH Switch guide or Rentry guide. Both of them are easy to follow.
You don't have to update your OFW to the latest if you don't plan on using it for online games that you've purchased. Both guides require users to update their OFW in order to dump their firmware files so that they can update their emuNAND firmware. You can find firmware files on a certain site that we aren't allowed to link to and update your CFW via Daybreak. Don't skip on making a full NAND backup as it's important to have it in case you brick your console.
Post automatically merged:

I stepped away from Switch softmodding and all that for a while so I forget how everything goes.
I've posted a short guide here so do check it out. It covers how to update your setup.

Your hekate_ipl.ini seems fine, so I'm not sure which error you're facing exactly? Does anything appear on screen?

however some new ones I tried give me a black screen.
Sigpatches need to be updated. Check the updating guide here for more info on sigpatches and sys-patch module.

Why would some newly installed games launch into a black screen?
For me going into maintenance mode and clearing system cache usually fixes games that won't launch after update. For more troubleshooting info, check here.

Not sure, do you get any error on screen when you try booting into sysMMC the normal way? Do you use CFW on sysMMC or emuMMC?

Last edited by Blythe93,
Reactions: YamiJustin

YamiJustin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason you can't play new games is because you're on FW 9.2.0. The latest is 18.0.1. Newer games require newer firmware.

Sigpatches will no longer work as that function was removed from the latest Atmosphere. You need to install sys-patch to your SD card. https://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-patch-sysmod-that-patches-on-boot.633517/

Only being able to boot to sysMMC sounds like a problem with your hekate ini file. Please post the contents of your hekate_ipl.ini file.

I also recommend this: https://rentry.org/UpdateCFWAndFW

I've made a detailed guide about updating Switch CFW setup here.

To remove any pending update you might have, you can delete them by going into maintenance mode. Here you can find steps.

If you want to start from scratch, I recommend following either NH Switch guide or Rentry guide. Both of them are easy to follow.
You don't have to update your OFW to the latest if you don't plan on using it for online games that you've purchased. Both guides require users to update their OFW in order to dump their firmware files so that they can update their emuNAND firmware. You can find firmware files on a certain site that we aren't allowed to link to and update your CFW via Daybreak. Don't skip on making a full NAND backup as it's important to have it in case you brick your console.
Post automatically merged:

I've posted a short guide here so do check it out. It covers how to update your setup.

Your hekate_ipl.ini seems fine, so I'm not sure which error you're facing exactly? Does anything appear on screen?

Sigpatches need to be updated. Check the updating guide here for more info on sigpatches and sys-patch module.

For me going into maintenance mode and clearing system cache usually fixes games that won't launch after update. For more troubleshooting info, check here.

Not sure, do you get any error on screen when you try booting into sysMMC the normal way? Do you use CFW on sysMMC or emuMMC?
Thanks! I solved most of my issues by figuring out how to update to the latest firmware version. When I go to launch emuMMC it says "emuMMC is forced but not enabled! failed to launch HOS!"
Does it matter what version I launch it from? I'll be sure to check out those other links.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
When I go to launch emuMMC it says "emuMMC is forced but not enabled! failed to launch HOS!"
Ah, check in Hekate to see if it's really disabled (click on the rightmost emuMMC icon). If it says Disabled, you'll need to select it by going clicking on Change emuMMC and selecting the SD RAW 1, if it exists.

Does it matter what version I launch it from? I'll be sure to check out those other links.
Whenever you push your Hekate payload, it usually checks whether bootloader/update.bin is newer and launches that one instead.

YamiJustin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, check in Hekate to see if it's really disabled (click on the rightmost emuMMC icon). If it says Disabled, you'll need to select it by going clicking on Change emuMMC and selecting the SD RAW 1, if it exists.

Whenever you push your Hekate payload, it usually checks whether bootloader/update.bin is newer and launches that one instead.
Looks like it is disabled. It says "emuMMC is disabled and eMMC will be used for boot". Is the way to enable it to "create emummc?". What are the benefits? Thank you

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Looks like it is disabled. It says "emuMMC is disabled and eMMC will be used for boot". Is the way to enable it to "create emummc?". What are the benefits? Thank you
The main benefit of having an emuMMC is having a somewhat isolated copy of your sysMMC that exists on your SD card that allows you to run your homebrew apps and play your game backups. Of course, going online on emuMMC is still risky unless you're effectively blocking Nintendo servers via 90DNS or DNSMITM method. Another benefit is that you can keep your sysMMC clean and play your legally purchased games online.

Now, the question is did you even use emuMMC in a first place? Or did you run CFW on your sysMMC, therefore making in "dirty" in the process? Do you have a clean NAND bakup, created prior to all the hacking you've done so far on your console?

Now, what I'm about to say is what I've learned so far based on what I've read here and there and on my own experience so it shouldn't be necesarrily correct. There are others that check this thread/forum who could give you a more elaborate answer or one that is correct, so it might be worth to wait for them to say whether I'm right or wrong.

If you've been using CFW on your sysMMC, then your sysMMC is already "dirty" and I doubt that there's 100% sure way to "clean" it other than restoring a previously created clean NAND backup, so I'm not sure if there's even a point in creating an emuMMC for homebrew apps and games only? Restoring a clean NAND backup should help, but if it's an older backup with a lower firmware and you've updated to a higher firmware after that on sysMMC, you will probably run into a fuse mismatch, causing your system not to load unless you update your firmware. Now, one only way I know of is updating via Daybreak after you download firmware files from a certain site that we aren't allowed to link to (quick Google search is all that it takes to find it, though). But whether updating your sysMMC that way will possibly flag your console for banning, I'm not sure.

"Create emuMMC" option will allow you to create either file-based or partition-based emuMMC. File-based emuMMC is easier to backup and restore (especially when moving to a new SD card), while parition-based emuMMC is less prone to data corruption. Here's a guide on making the emuMMC.

Reactions: YamiJustin

FOhtieN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
According to this you can forced it.
Yeah I've found this post too. The thing is some people say it's possible, some say it's not. It doesn't help that I can't find a single video of a switch lite using ReverseNX let alone docked mode on it as opposed to quite a few of them showcasing docked mode in handheld on the other models.

I am planning on buying a switch soon and I want to be sure that the Lite is capable of docked mode because i'd prefer getting the smaller Lite over the other models as I am planning on playing exclusively handheld. If it isn't possible on it then I am just gonna go with a v2.

I had hoped that someone here would have tried it on their own Lite and would be able to confirm.

YamiJustin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main benefit of having an emuMMC is having a somewhat isolated copy of your sysMMC that exists on your SD card that allows you to run your homebrew apps and play your game backups. Of course, going online on emuMMC is still risky unless you're effectively blocking Nintendo servers via 90DNS or DNSMITM method. Another benefit is that you can keep your sysMMC clean and play your legally purchased games online.

Now, the question is did you even use emuMMC in a first place? Or did you run CFW on your sysMMC, therefore making in "dirty" in the process? Do you have a clean NAND bakup, created prior to all the hacking you've done so far on your console?

Now, what I'm about to say is what I've learned so far based on what I've read here and there and on my own experience so it shouldn't be necesarrily correct. There are others that check this thread/forum who could give you a more elaborate answer or one that is correct, so it might be worth to wait for them to say whether I'm right or wrong.

If you've been using CFW on your sysMMC, then your sysMMC is already "dirty" and I doubt that there's 100% sure way to "clean" it other than restoring a previously created clean NAND backup, so I'm not sure if there's even a point in creating an emuMMC for homebrew apps and games only? Restoring a clean NAND backup should help, but if it's an older backup with a lower firmware and you've updated to a higher firmware after that on sysMMC, you will probably run into a fuse mismatch, causing your system not to load unless you update your firmware. Now, one only way I know of is updating via Daybreak after you download firmware files from a certain site that we aren't allowed to link to (quick Google search is all that it takes to find it, though). But whether updating your sysMMC that way will possibly flag your console for banning, I'm not sure.

"Create emuMMC" option will allow you to create either file-based or partition-based emuMMC. File-based emuMMC is easier to backup and restore (especially when moving to a new SD card), while parition-based emuMMC is less prone to data corruption. Here's a guide on making the emuMMC.
I see, that is an interesting method. Well, unfortunately my system no longer has it's original virgin backups. At some point between then and now one of my SSDs got formated and I lost the original backups of my Switch stuff and 3DS NAND. So it's a dirty little handheld for sure. I have no intention of using it for multiplayer stuff unless there is ever a method to go online without a risk of a ban (I doubt it!). So it seems at this point there is little reason for me to partition and make an emuMMC

Reactions: Blythe93

baobao43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tinfoil randomly stopped working for me. I didn't update CFW or OFW or anything. It was working fine then a few days ago it says "Unable to start software. Return to home menu and try again." I didn't update or change anything.

Current version is 17.0.1|AMS 1.6.2IE

Any tips?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tinfoil randomly stopped working for me. I didn't update CFW or OFW or anything. It was working fine then a few days ago it says "Unable to start software. Return to home menu and try again." I didn't update or change anything.

Current version is 17.0.1|AMS 1.6.2IE

Any tips?

Delete it and reinstall it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kjIXjGzImE