JavaRaven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all

i have a switch that is running Hecate and atmosphere. All was well u til about 12 months ago, then any game that installed via tinfoil showed the error “Error Code: 2155-8007” on launch. Already installed games work fine.
I am a bit of a noob re switch hacking, so unsure how to fix.
any suggestions?
Post automatically merged:

I have read that enabling flight mode can resolve, but when I enable flight mode in the switch settings, I get an error message saying “could not start the software“ when trying to launch a game that was installed in the past 12 months.

Last edited by JavaRaven,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
It could be because the games is installed with a temporary ticket that needs to be validated online.
Uninstall one of the games with the error and install it again with the latest version of DBI. That will install it with a permanent ticket

Reactions: Blythe93

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Good morning all

i have a switch that is running Hecate and atmosphere. All was well u til about 12 months ago, then any game that installed via tinfoil showed the error “Error Code: 2155-8007” on launch. Already installed games work fine.
I am a bit of a noob re switch hacking, so unsure how to fix.
any suggestions?

I have read that enabling flight mode can resolve, but when I enable flight mode in the switch settings, I get an error message saying “could not start the software“ when trying to launch a game that was installed in the past 12 months.
Did you update your sigpatches? It seems like it's trying to do the online DRM check but failing to do so.

JavaRaven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you update your sigpatches? It seems like it's trying to do the online DRM check but failing to do so.
No. I haven’t made any changes to the switch since I bought it - it was already modded when I received it.
how can I check what mods have been done so I know what changes to make?
i know it is running atmosphere, tinfoil and hekate, but not the versions.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
i know it is running atmosphere, tinfoil and hekate, but not the versions.
To check which Atmosphere version you're running, go to Settings > System. Under System Update, mine says the following:
Current System version: 18.0.0|AMS 17.0.0|E which means that I'm on firmware 18.0.0, Atmosphere 1.7.0 and on emuNAND CFW (if it says S, it's on sysNAND CFW).
As for the Tinfoil, if you have a forwarder, I believe that when you select it and press +, it should say the version (provided it behaves like a regular game, can't say for sure as I'm not using forwarders nor Tinfoil).
As for Hekate, I believe that you need to reboot to RCM and push the hekate_ctcaer_x.x.x.bin payload (x.x.x stands for the version, but if bootloader/update.bin is newer, that one will be launched instead).

how can I check what mods have been done so I know what changes to make?
Well, the only way to check that is to check your SD card's contents. You can either use Hekate's USB Tools, Atmosphere's USB Transfer (haze.nro) or simply by connecting your microSD card to the computer. if you're running hidden partition emuNAND, you might get a prompt saying that the drive needs to be formatted first in order to use it. DO NOT FORMAT the drive, skip/cancel it. That's your hidden partition emuANND (emulated sysNAND). The other drive that successfully connects will be where you homebrew apps are placed.

Since you're using Atmosphere, you'll probably need to update provided you haven't updated a thing in a year or so.
Since you're probably new to the Switch hacking scene, I'd suggest that you go through these two guides: NH Switch guide and Rentry.org Switch guide. Getting familiar with the terms used will make updating your Switch much easier task for you.

If you have a custom theme installed, make sure to uninstall it (via NXThemesInstaller) before you proceed to update.
You can backup your saves with JKSV and restore them after the update should you need it.

Whenever you're about to update your firmware and before you do so, make sure that both Hekate and Atmosphere support the latest firmware or the firmware you're currently updating to. If they do, check if the sigpatches are updated to support the latest firmware and Atmosphere version. Sigpatches also work retroactively, meaning that if you're on a lower versions of firmware and Atmosphere, it should still work properly.

While sigpatches should be enough for game backups to work, you can install sys-patch module as well. Optionally, you can install Tesla + nx-ovlloader as that will allow you to see whether sys-patch is working properly, after you press L + D-pad Down + R (Stick) combo, select sys-patch, followed by Log. If it says:
  1. Patched = the pattern it's searching for is already patched by sigpatches, so there's no need to patch it again;
  2. Patched = the pattern is patched by sys-patch (i.e. sigpatches are not present or haven't been applied on boot);
  3. Unpatched = the pattern wasn't found by sys-patch on the current system so there's no need to patch them (only present if you turn off the Version skip in the Options).
Having both sigpatches and sys-patch at the same time should cause no conflict at all, but it's recommended to stick to one that works for you in order to reduce the clutter on your SD card since they are doing the same thing.

Atmosphere 1.7.0 no longer supports ips kip patches (check the release notes here) which are usually used for piracy reasons. Therefore you can:
1) Load Atmosphere's package3 via Hekate's FSS0 - You'll need to reboot to Hekate, go to Launch and select emuNAND CFW or sysNAND CFW (depending on which one you use). If you've downloaded the sigpatches from here. your bootloader/hekate_ipl.bin will already have everything you need to have configured.
2) Use sys-patch instead of sigpatches.
3) Use modified Atmosphere's fusee.bin payload with ips kip patches support.

To install the games, I generally suggest using DBI. Here's a good video tutorial by sthetix.

If everything seems okay, update Hekate and Atmosphere first, followed by sigpatches.

Once you do that, update firmware via Daybreak as well. Daybreak comes bundled with Atmosphere. You can find firmware files on that certain site we aren't allowed to link to (that's what I usually do) or you can dump the latest firmware after you update your OFW. I personally like to keep my OFW firmware version the lowest possible just in case a future exploit is found and supports the firmware I have (unlikely to happen, but one can never know). Once you download the files, just extract them to the folder (e.g. firmware) on the root of your SD card, just to make it easier to be found once in Daybreak.

If you used either Haku33, TegraExplorer, EmmcHaccGen or ChoiDujour in the past, you might run into a save issue after updating to 17.0.0 or newer. To fix it, make sure to boot at least once into sysNAND CFW with Atmosphere 1.6.1 or newer.

If you've ever used Incognito_RCM or similar in the past in order to blank your prodinfo, Atmosphere will crash as soon as your console connects to the Internet and tries to connect to the Nintendo servers due to your console not having valid prod keys.

You won't run into this issue if you are always in airplane mode or if you're using 90DNS or DNS MITM. Blanking your prodinfo via Exosphere is possible, but it's usefulness is questionable. DBI, for example, can guess your serial number through "creative coding". You can see whether it's true or not by going into its system info option.

There's also this patch which fixes the prodinfo blanking issue.
If you plan on connecting your console to the Internet, 90DNS or DNS MITM at the very least must be set up prior to connecting to the Internet.

That's probably all you need to know as a beginner. Good luck figuring out the rest.

Last edited by Blythe93,

JavaRaven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It could be because the games is installed with a temporary ticket that needs to be validated online.
Uninstall one of the games with the error and install it again with the latest version of DBI. That will install it with a permanent ticket
Hi petspeed. I downloaded Mario wonder this morning and still had same error. The error has happened with every game I have downloaded since the launch of totk.

To check which Atmosphere version you're running, go to Settings > System. Under System Update, mine says the following:
Current System version: 18.0.0|AMS 17.0.0|E which means that I'm on firmware 18.0.0, Atmosphere 1.7.0 and on emuNAND CFW (if it says S, it's on sysNAND CFW).
As for the Tinfoil, if you have a forwarder, I believe that when you select it and press +, it should say the version (provided it behaves like a regular game, can't say for sure as I'm not using forwarders nor Tinfoil).
As for Hekate, I believe that you need to reboot to RCM and push the hekate_ctcaer_x.x.x.bin payload (x.x.x stands for the version, but if bootloader/update.bin is newer, that one will be launched instead).

Well, the only way to check that is to check your SD card's contents. You can either use Hekate's USB Tools, Atmosphere's USB Transfer (haze.nro) or simply by connecting your microSD card to the computer. if you're running hidden partition emuNAND, you might get a prompt saying that the drive needs to be formatted first in order to use it. DO NOT FORMAT the drive, skip/cancel it. That's your hidden partition emuANND (emulated sysNAND). The other drive that successfully connects will be where you homebrew apps are placed.

Since you're using Atmosphere, you'll probably need to update provided you haven't updated a thing in a year or so.
Since you're probably new to the Switch hacking scene, I'd suggest that you go through these two guides: NH Switch guide and Rentry.org Switch guide. Getting familiar with the terms used will make updating your Switch much easier task for you.

If you have a custom theme installed, make sure to uninstall it (via NXThemesInstaller) before you proceed to update.
You can backup your saves with JKSV and restore them after the update should you need it.

Whenever you're about to update your firmware and before you do so, make sure that both Hekate and Atmosphere support the latest firmware or the firmware you're currently updating to.If they do, check if the sigpatches are updated to support the latest firmware and Atmosphere version. Sigpatches also work retroactively, meaning that if you're on a lower versions of firmware and Atmosphere, it should still work properly.

While sigpatches should be enough for game backups to work, you can install sys-patch module as well. Optionally, you can install Tesla + nx-ovlloader as that will allow you to see whether sys-patch is working properly, after you press L + D-pad Down + R (Stick) combo, select sys-patch, followed by Log. It should say Patched (if it's green, it's good; if it's orange, it means that it's already patched with sigpatches). Having both sigpatches and sys-patch at the same time should cause no conflict at all.

Atmosphere 1.7.0 no longer supports ips kip patches (check the release notes here) which are usually used for piracy reasons. Therefore you can:
1) Load Atmosphere's package3 via Hekate's FSS0 - You'll need to reboot to Hekate, go to Launch and select emuNAND CFW or sysNAND CFW (depending on which one you use). If you've downloaded the sigpatches from here. your bootloader/hekate_ipl.bin will already have everything you need to have configured.
2) Use sys-patch instead of sigpatches.
3) Use modified Atmosphere's fusee.bin payload with ips kip patches support.

To install the games, I generally suggest using DBI. Here's a good video tutorial by sthetix.

If everything seems okay, update Hekate and Atmosphere first, followed by sigpatches.

Once you do that, update firmware via Daybreak as well. Daybreak comes bundled with Atmosphere. You can find firmware files on that certain site we aren't allowed to link to (that's what I usually do) or you can dump the latest firmware after you update your OFW. I personally like to keep my OFW firmware version the lowest possible just in case a future exploit is found and supports the firmware I have (unlikely to happen, but one can never know). Once you download the files, just extract them to the folder (e.g. firmware) on the root of your SD card, just to make it easier to be found once in Daybreak.

If you used either Haku33, TegraExplorer, EmmcHaccGen or ChoiDujour in the past, you might run into a save issue after updating to 17.0.0 or newer. To fix it, make sure to boot at least once into sysNAND CFW with Atmosphere 1.6.1 or newer.

If you've ever used Incognito_RCM or similar in the past in order to blank your prodinfo, Atmosphere will crash as soon as your console connects to the Internet and tries to connect to the Nintendo servers due to your console not having valid prod keys.
You won't run into this issue if you are always in airplane mode or if you're using DNS MITM. You can still blank your prodinfo via Exopshere, but it's unknown whether the prodinfo is cached elswhere before the blanking kicks in. Still, it doesn't hurt to have it enabled. There's also this patch which fixes the prodinfo blanking issue.
If you plan on connecting your console to the Internet, DNS MITM at the very least must be set up prior to connecting to the Internet.

That's probably all you need to know as a beginner. Good luck figuring out the rest.
Thanks blythe. I’ll go through thi in detail this evening and reply.is there anything I should back up or copy before making changes?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
is there anything I should back up or copy before making changes?
Depends on whether you have emuNAND or sysNAND setup.
Other than prodinfo_sysnand.bin / prodinfo_emunand.bin files (which are created as a result of blanking prodinfo with Incognito_RCM) and your save files, I don't think there's anything else of value?

You can make a copy of everything other than a folder where your games are stored, as you can always reinstall them later (provided you still have the files i.e. NSPs or XCIs).

JavaRaven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have enabled flight mode and the game still won’t start, though I get am different error message saying “could not start the software“.
Does this rule out sigpatches?
Was there a sigpatches update needed approx May 2023 because that was when I first noticed the issue?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have enabled flight mode and the game still won’t start, though I get am different error message saying “could not start the software“.
Did you try going into the maintenance mode in order to clear the system cache? If not, do the following:

If you're using OFW and/or sysNAND CFW:
  1. Make sure that your Internet connection is disabled if you're connected right now and remove any saved connections as well (unless you have DNS MITM in place).
  2. Turn off your console (when in home menu, hold the power button for a few seconds and select power off).
  3. Hold volume + and volume - at the same time and, while holding them, press the power button. After a while your Switch will enter into the maintenance mode. At this point any pending updates and cache is cleared on your sysNAND, you don't need to press and/or select anything.
  4. Press the power button once again. It'll shut down the console.
  5. Reboot to your sysNAND CFW the way you usually do and make sure to activate flight mode. (Connecting to the Internet is safe only if you have 90DNS or DNS MITM in place.
if you're using emuNAND CFW, it's a bit different:
  1. Make sure that your Internet connection is disabled if you're connected right now and remove any saved connections as well (unless you have DNS MITM in place).
  2. Turn off your console (when in home menu, hold the power button for a few seconds and select power off).
  3. Right before you send your fusse.bin payload, hold volume + and volume - at the same time. Keep holding until you get into maintenance mode (you'll see Atmosphere bootlogo first, Switch logo after that one). After a while your Switch should enter into the maintenance mode. At this point any pending updates and cache is cleared on your emuNAND, you don't need to press and/or select anything.
  5. Reboot to your emuNAND CFW the way you usually do and make sure to activate flight mode. (Connecting to the Internet is safe only if you have 90DNS or DNS MITM in place.
If that doesn't help, check this thread for more troubleshooting info.

JavaRaven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And you installed it with the latest version of DBI?
https://github.com/rashevskyv/dbi/releases/tag/658
I’m not sure what this means? I installed via tinfoil and selected include all doc and include latest update.
The shop used was libera.

Did you try going into the maintenance mode in order to clear the system cache? If not, do the following:

If you're using OFW and/or sysNAND CFW:
  3. Hold volume + and volume - at the same time and, while holding them, press the power button. After a while your Switch will enter into the maintenance mode. At this point any pending updates and cache is cleared on your sysNAND, you don't need to press and/or select anything.
  5. Reboot to your sysNAND CFW the way you usually do and make sure to activate flight mode. (Connecting to the Internet is safe only if you have 90DNS or DNS MITM in place.
if you're using emuNAND CFW, it's a bit different:
  3. Right before you send your fusse.bin payload, hold volume + and volume - at the same time. Keep holding until you get into maintenance mode (you'll see Atmosphere bootlogo first, Switch logo after that one). After a while your Switch should enter into the maintenance mode. At this point any pending updates and cache is cleared on your emuNAND, you don't need to press and/or select anything.
  5. Reboot to your emuNAND CFW the way you usually do and make sure to activate flight mode. (Connecting to the Internet is safe only if you have 90DNS or DNS MITM in place.
If that doesn't help, check this thread for more troubleshooting info.
Is there a way to check if I’m using emunand or OFW and/or sysNAND CFW?

It looks like the next thing to do is update sigpatches.
This was linked above:-
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/

but there arent any simple instructions on how to update sigpatches, have I missed the instructions?

Last edited by JavaRaven,

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Is there a way to check if I’m using emunand or OFW and/or sysNAND CFW?
I've already hinted at it here, but here it is again:
If it says E, it's emuNAND that you're using. Otherwise, if it says S, it's sysNAND.
but there arent any simple instructions on how to update sigpatches, have I missed the instructions?
Simply download, extract the archive from the first post and put the files on to the root of your SD card, overwriting the existing ones.

Reactions: JavaRaven

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I’m not sure what this means? I installed via tinfoil and selected include all doc and include latest update.
The shop used was libera.
Get the game from somewhere else (not a shop) as either NSP or XCI and install it with DBI (an installer app for Switch). DBI will fix the ticket which Tinfoil doesn't

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/twitch-streamer-places-24000-hit-on-youtuber-after-stellar...