Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Valkri599

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Something funky. I would check the card for issues regardless. Even well known vendors can have occasional issues. Run h2testw on it and see what it says.
Thanks, I'll run it through here and see what happens. It seems to crash when installing larger games so I'm really not sure whats up, but only some of them. Smash was fine, smaller games were fine, BOTW and SMT5 crashed it but both were installed fine before.

Like I said I got backups of my stuff though and wasn't actually deep into anything so luckly its not loosing progress other than frustration with something happening every few months with the switch.

edit-

Ran the tool with no errors found, and on the next boot the sd card displayed correctly in settings with how much storage etc. but still crashed on install attempt. Next boot the error with the SD card returned. :wtf:

Wonder could it have been... I don't know changed to exfat somehow and thats what causing the larger file installs to crash it. But that doesn't make sense either. I'm just super confused. Its half working @.@ messing with this thing AGAIN seems to be how I spend every day off.

Last edited by Valkri599,
Reactions: binkinator

Nynrah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice sleuth work! Glad you’re up and running. Unless you hit a game that won’t allow you to play due to FW version you are generally good. In the event that you want to update your firmware be sure to look for Darthsternie Firmware cause it’s the best brand out there and it lets you skip the part about dumping firmware from your Sysnand (PITA!) With firmware in hand and unzipped in /firmware directory just head on over to https://rentry.org/UpgradeDowngrade and finish the update. You will want to update your Sigpatches as well.

Sigpatches (GBATemp) — get your Sigpatches here!
Hehe, I was just lucky that other people both over here and reddit encountered similar issues in the past. But all is well that ends well. Since I've already updated the sigpatches, all I've got to do is install DBI Installer (without exFAT I can't transfer big XCI and NSP files straight to the card anymore, although that was an inconvenient method of installing stuff anyway) and update the firmware 15.0.1 that I just got via Darthsternie.

Thanks for the support through the process. It was a bit of a journey to get into it. It sure was a different experience from doing things with my 3DS or PSTV as I modded those myself. With my Switch - that I didn't mod myself - everything felt scary and unfamiliar at first, if that makes sense.

Update: Just updated the firmware with Daybreak. Got a black screen after rebooting (did got to see the Atmosphere symbol, though). Now to figure out how to tackle this final hurdle. At least, I think it's the final hurdle.

Update 2: Fixed it! I removed the entire atmosphere and put back a fresh atmosphere directory back there. Exactly how it comes from the Atmosphere 1.4.0 zip. Must have had a bad system module in there or something like that.

Update 3: Success! The firmware and CFW are now up to date and I've successfully installed and launched games that I couldn't play before. :)

Last edited by Nynrah,
  • Love
Reactions: binkinator

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Interesting. Maybe stick with the tried and true method using Hekate to partition your new SD card. Hekate can also backup (and later restore) your hidden partition so it might be a bit more straightforward than hacking our way through MiniToolPW.
Post automatically merged:

Oh wow!

View attachment 345224

That clearly shows that there's nothing wrong with your hardware. That's clear as day!

I take back everything I said about you.

So I'm using hekate to boot my switch but I have fusee.bin inside my hekate_ipl.ini file.

Code:
[config]
autoboot=1
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=1
backlight=55
noticker=0
autohosoff=2
autonogc=1
updater2p=1
bootprotect=1

[Atmosphere CFW]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin
emummcforce=1
kip1patch=nosigchk
kip1=atmosphere/kip_patches/*
logopath=/graphics/splash/atmosphere.bmp
icon=/graphics/icons/current/atmosphere.bmp

This ini file will:

autoboot=1 (automatically boot the first entry)
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=1 (only wait one second until it automatically reboots)
backlight=55 (tone down the bright display)
noticker=0 (allow the cool time ticker bar)
autohosoff=2 (when shutdown it will stay down…no bouncing around and 1/2 booting)
autonogc=1 (turn off the game card)
updater2p=1 (check if there is a higher version of Hekate to use instead of what was injected)
bootprotect=1 (protect my boot files from malicious homebrew and me being retarded)

[Atmosphere CFW] (first stanza)
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin (boot using fusee.bin instead of Hekate)
emummcforce=1 (force the use of emunand)
kip1patch=nosigchk (Sigpatches)
kip1=atmosphere/kip_patches/* (Sigpatches, damn it!)
logopath=/graphics/splash/atmosphere.bmp (splash logo)
icon=/graphics/icons/current/atmosphere.bmp (icon for use in Hekate)

Basically what this means is you can use any damn version of Hekate in your RCM loader but it will use the latest Hekate installed on your SDCard.

So downgrade to Hekate 5.8.0 on your RCM loader, integrate so,e of the changes above to suite your needs but particularly use the bold lines above. That should fix what ails you…
Thanks for the detailed information, much appreciated.

I remember trying lower version of Hekate but tbh, if I just boot into Atmosphere, are there any downsides?

Fergamesy2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi everyone. I've instaled Android 10 on my switch, and I want to play Mario kart tour, but everytime I tried to install it, it crashes. It runs normally like 30 seconds, and I'm able even to practice while installing, but then it crashes. If I'm patient enough to restart the app over and over untill it fully installs, then I can see the cups, if I'm fast enough, I can even enter a race, but it works like 5 seconds, and then crashes and the app closes. I want to know if there is a way for it to be playable, because I use magisk to try to make it run hiding the settings in zygisk, because without that, the app doesn't even install, because is nowhere to be found in the play store, it says that my device is not compatible, (obviously, it's my nintendo switch), so I download the APK from different sources and none of them have worked. Hope you can help me.

Last edited by Fergamesy2k,

spiroid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It should still spit out whatever files are in there and place them under the 16 digit folder ID. You would have to sift through it file by file but yiu could get lucky. If they are unknown the. It’s highly unlikely anything else is going to do much different. Said differently, I’m unaware of anything else that will do this. Copying over the :USER partition won;t make the files addressable either. I’d venture a guess that they are corrupt directories. :-(

Are you formatting with FAT32 or exfat? FAT32 is preferred. Use rufus to format large drives sizes that Windows doesn’t allow.

Nice sleuth work! Glad you’re up and running. Unless you hit a game that won’t allow you to play due to FW version you are generally good. In the event that you want to update your firmware be sure to look for Darthsternie Firmware cause it’s the best brand out there and it lets you skip the part about dumping firmware from your Sysnand (PITA!) With firmware in hand and unzipped in /firmware directory just head on over to https://rentry.org/UpgradeDowngrade and finish the update. You will want to update your Sigpatches as well.

Sigpatches (GBATemp) — get your Sigpatches here!

Hekate is the best tool for partitioning.
The rest is just copying files from their respective GitHub pages. It’s worth the time to read the docs while you download the files anyway. Lots of good info!

Yep, that's the way I took in my previous install.
Already downloaded and prepared :
- hekate
- atmosphere
- sigpatches
- 15.0 firmware

Coming next
- dbi
- jksv (to restore old backups)
- tesla overlays

NXNandManager and EmuTool are the weapons of choice for manipulating emunands.

I recommend you make an emunand and leave the Sysnand as is.

Here’s a great place to start walking through what to do.

https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

I wanted to go back to a clean state on sysnand, as I received a couple of games and wanted to play while connected online.
Are you suggesting it's also possible from an emunand ? (that would be great ! )

thanks for your help

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that's the way I took in my previous install.
Already downloaded and prepared :
- hekate
- atmosphere
- sigpatches
- 15.0 firmware

Coming next
- dbi
- jksv (to restore old backups)
- tesla overlays
Good deal! That’s a great path.
(If you want to go full retard, click my signature block. It links to a blog with a bunch of toys.)
I wanted to go back to a clean state on sysnand, as I received a couple of games and wanted to play while connected online.
Are you suggesting it's also possible from an emunand ? (that would be great ! )

thanks for your help

Once soiled, it’s very hard to go back w/o catching a ban. Your permanent logs will show tracks of any potential misdeeds such as installing backups (your own or anyone else’s for that matter.) The logs will be sent to Ninty the moment you connect online. Unfortunately in this state your only recourse is to stay offline which means you’re technically still banned but it’s self imposed. One thing that some folks claim to have used is Haku33 but that’s a decision you will have to make based on your own research.

Thanks for the detailed information, much appreciated.

I remember trying lower version of Hekate but tbh, if I just boot into Atmosphere, are there any downsides?
Not really. I guess having to update your RCM Loader whenever a new release comes out is a downside. Chainloading through Hekate allows you to leave it alone and Hekate has the built in mechanism to update to the latest installed Hekate version on your SDCard.

Last edited by binkinator,

spiroid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good deal! That’s a great path.
(If you want to go full retard, click my signature block. It links to a blog with a bunch of toys.)

Wow, found the page and indeed a very impressive list. I only scratched the surface :)

Once soiled, it’s very hard to go back w/o catching a ban. Your permanent logs will show tracks of any potential misdeeds such as installing backups (your own or anyone else’s for that matter.) The logs will be sent to Ninty the moment you connect online. Unfortunately in this state your only recourse is to stay offline which means you’re technically still banned but it’s self imposed. One thing that some folks claim to have used is Haku33 but that’s a decision you will have to make based on your own research.

gasp :sad:, I supposed it would be the case, just sad to not have made enough research back in the days before upgrading.
To make sure I fully understand the situation could you please confirm that:

-> downgrading the sysnand firmware version by restoring the clean 4.0.0 version won't work as fuses were burnt (12-0) HOS 9.1.0 from what I can get from hekate.
-> doing so would brick my sysnand correct ?
-> even if it's not the case, and I should find a way to got to a 9.1.0 version again (is there any way to do that by the way?), by going online, a connection to nintendo servers would detect that my latest activity log was with a 4.0.0 firmware version and it would likely get me banned right ?

I'll have a look at Haku33, but don't have much hope to play online with that switch one day.
Anyway many thanks for the detailed information, learning a lot ! ❤️

Not really. I guess having to update your RCM Loader whenever a new release comes out is a downside. Chainloading through Hekate allows you to leave it alone and Hekate has the built in mechanism to update to the latest installed Hekate version on your SDCard.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, found the page and indeed a very impressive list. I only scratched the surface :)

gasp :sad:, I supposed it would be the case, just sad to not have made enough research back in the days before upgrading.
To make sure I fully understand the situation could you please confirm that:

-> downgrading the sysnand firmware version by restoring the clean 4.0.0 version won't work as fuses were burnt (12-0) HOS 9.1.0 from what I can get from hekate.

Before we do anything…make a fresh set Sysnand backups.

Hekate is the proper way to read fuses. I’ve not done this myself, but…

You can downgrade to 4.0.0 and use Hekate to boot OFW in order to get around the fuse checking algorithm.

I believe it willrequire an older version of Atmosphere to boot up.

Once up on 4.0.0 you would run daybreak.nro and upgrade your Sysnand from 4.0.0 to latest 15.0.1.

At that point you would be clean. Atmosphere/daybreak by themselves are not bannable offenses.

-> doing so would brick my sysnand correct ?
I don’t believe it will brick you.
-> even if it's not the case, and I should find a way to got to a 9.1.0 version again (is there any way to do that by the way?), by going online, a connection to nintendo servers would detect that my latest activity log was with a 4.0.0 firmware version and it would likely get me banned right ?
We would upgrade immensely to 15.0.1 and there wouldn’t be a trace of anything untoward.
I'll have a look at Haku33, but don't have much hope to play online with that switch one day.
Anyway many thanks for the detailed information, learning a lot ! ❤️
I’m thinking of anything that might thwart the idea.

Anyone else see any holes?

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

ageminmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the guide I always recommend to new users not only because it was the first Nintendo Switch hacking guide but its also been regularly updated as the scene progressed. Although if you don't already own a Switch and plan on buying a new one, I should warn you that all new consoles require a modchip in order to be hacked. Only older and/or used models can be hacked without a modchip that also requires soldering.
Hi, I am a new user that just bought brand new unpatched unit which will arrive soon in the next several days.
I also bought an RCM dongle shipping in the next couple of weeks
I have read the beginner guide posted above.
I am planning to use my switch for pirated games and save game editing. Offline, not planning to ever go online

I have the following questions:
1) Since its a new unit, am I forced to update my firmware? If thats the case, I dont see a guide how to do this but I have read the best way is thru Daybreak? Any guides for this?
2) Any guides for installing sigpatches?
3) Whats the best app for editing games? PKHEX or Edizon?
4) Since I'll be editing game saves, if I ever decide to go online then I'l be likely banned. Is using Incognito sufficient to prevent this?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am a new user that just bought brand new unpatched unit which will arrive soon in the next several days.
I also bought an RCM dongle shipping in the next couple of weeks
I have read the beginner guide posted above.
I am planning to use my switch for pirated games and save game editing. Offline, not planning to ever go online

I have the following questions:
1) Since its a new unit, am I forced to update my firmware? If thats the case, I dont see a guide how to do this but I have read the best way is thru Daybreak? Any guides for this?
2) Any guides for installing sigpatches?
3) Whats the best app for editing games? PKHEX or Edizon?
4) Since I'll be editing game saves, if I ever decide to go online then I'l be likely banned. Is using Incognito sufficient to prevent this?
  1. The exploit used by dongle relies on the hardware of the console, not the software. Therefore, the firmware you are running is irrelevant and has no effect on the ability to hack the device. However certain content such as games, updates, or DLC require certain firmware versions to run so these situations are where you will be forced to update. Using Daybreak to update the firmware is recommended as well as straightforward to use meaning there isn't much need for a guide. The real tricky part is downloading the firmware files of the firmware you wish to update to as Daybreak doesn't download those on its own. The firmware files are considered copyrighted material so they are treated as piracy but rest assured that they are readily available on the Internet
  2. There are no such thing as 'sigpatches'. Its just a buzz word used for noobs. In reality, there are FS, ES, & Loader patches. The ES patches are needed to install retail and unconverted .NSP files while the FS and Loader patches are required to install homebrew .NSP files as well as .XCI converts. Installation is as simple as putting them on your SD card. You can find the latest patches in this thread
  3. EdiZon is designed for games that do not have a dedicated cheat or save editor. For majority of needs, PKHex is the way to go for Pokemon games however PKHex cannot do everything. For example, it cannot enable you to walk through walls or break story sequences in which a cheat code via EdiZon would be more appropriate
  4. Going online with any usage of CFW or homebrew can get you banned. And while you can use Incognito, I would highly recommend you stay very far away from it. It maliciously deletes the unique portion of your Switch and without a backup, you will end up really banned. You don't need a special tool to prevent yourself from going online. The console cannot magically go online if it doesn't have Wi-Fi settings

ageminmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. The exploit used by dongle relies on the hardware of the console, not the software. Therefore, the firmware you are running is irrelevant and has no effect on the ability to hack the device. However certain content such as games, updates, or DLC require certain firmware versions to run so these situations are where you will be forced to update. Using Daybreak to update the firmware is recommended as well as straightforward to use meaning there isn't much need for a guide. The real tricky part is downloading the firmware files of the firmware you wish to update to as Daybreak doesn't download those on its own. The firmware files are considered copyrighted material so they are treated as piracy but rest assured that they are readily available on the Internet
  2. There are no such thing as 'sigpatches'. Its just a buzz word used for noobs. In reality, there are FS, ES, & Loader patches. The ES patches are needed to install retail and unconverted .NSP files while the FS and Loader patches are required to install homebrew .NSP files as well as .XCI converts. Installation is as simple as putting them on your SD card. You can find the latest patches in this thread
  3. EdiZon is designed for games that do not have a dedicated cheat or save editor. For majority of needs, PKHex is the way to go for Pokemon games however PKHex cannot do everything. For example, it cannot enable you to walk through walls or break story sequences in which a cheat code via EdiZon would be more appropriate
  4. Going online with any usage of CFW or homebrew can get you banned. And while you can use Incognito, I would highly recommend you stay very far away from it. It maliciously deletes the unique portion of your Switch and without a backup, you will end up really banned. You don't need a special tool to prevent yourself from going online. The console cannot magically go online if it doesn't have Wi-Fi settings
Thank you very much sir! That was a very quick response.
Glad I asked the question, because I have read several beginner guides these past 2 days and all of them say different recommendations likely because they are not updated.

Reactions: Draxzelex

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello,

I can update my console with Daybreak in Applet mode ?
nop always use title replacement mode.

in applet mode you can use dbi or atmolxl titel installer to install a small nsp
then use that installed app to replace and run HBL

sigpatches is the abbreviation of signature patches, which is a generic term for ES, FS, loader and etc.

Reactions: Artaifix

Artaifix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
nop always use title replacement mode.

in applet mode you can use dbi or atmolxl titel installer to install a small nsp
then use that installed app to replace and run HBL

sigpatches is the abbreviation of signature patches, which is a generic term for ES, FS, loader and etc.
So if I understand correctly

01 I install a small game using DBI
02 I launch this game by pressing R to deactivate Applet mode
03 I launch Daybreak on my EMUNAND to update it

My SYSNAND will not be affected?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So if I understand correctly

01 I install a small game using DBI
02 I launch this game by pressing R to deactivate Applet mode
03 I launch Daybreak on my EMUNAND to update it

My SYSNAND will not be affected?
that's correct,

Even if you can run daybreak on applet mode the limited memory could lead to errors. so that are the steps.

if you run daybreak on EmuNAND your EmuNAND will be updated, if you run it on SysNAND, SysNAND will be updated,

on EmuNAND the SYSNAND is not visible.

Reactions: Artaifix

BEEPEPPSNEEP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! So, I'm tyring to do stuff with a animal crossing downlaod, however i have no idea what NSW-Venom is, I'm stuck with a bunch of files in three separate folders that cannot be loaded into ryujinx and I'm not sure what to do, any help would be amazing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario.