SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. gavinfriday69

gavinfriday69 Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    Belgium
    I think I'm just confused with OFW.
    1) First you need to boot up normally in OFW to set the WIFI codes. I was worried because being in OFW and getting wifi connection would make the switch check for updates (but not downloading them because I have disabled the auto update)
    2) Afterwards you need to restart the system with the jig and the dongle to get into the EMUNAND.. and safer baxcause of the standard stealth mode

It's just the first step that I'm not sure about... sorry if it might seem like a dumb question

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You can configure the wifi setting on Emunand, you don't have to boot into OFW.

3. CassioAug

CassioAug Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Brazil
    I have a few questions about ban. First, I want to say what happened with my system:

I bougth a new Switch and the seller pre-installed for me Atmosphere along with some games and homebrews and the backup of the clean Nand in fw 4.X.X. The first time I tried to boot, I failed to load RCM and it loaded in OFW. As I wasn't aware, I tried to boot a game with no success. It was, however, in Airplane mode, so nothing happened, but I assume this burnt fuses anyway it was updated to 7.0.1 at this point.

Then I did this:
    - Booted Atmosphere CFW
    - Activated AutoRCM from Hekate
    - Added and removed some NSP
    - Cleaned my SD and recreated it my way
    - Opened a few homebrews
    - Changed from Atmosphere to SX OS

So, let's say I set up an Emunand now and try to go online in OFW.

1) At this point, can I consider myself already banned if I go online without 9DNS or Stealth Mode?
    2) Is it possible to restore my 4.X.X Nand even though I already burnt fuses?
    3) If I get banned, will I still be able to connect to the internet and connect through everything that's not in Nintendo servers?
    4) Is it as safe to go online with Stealth mode as it is with 9DNS?

I don't care too much about using Switch to play online to be honest, but I want to understand my situation and what I can and cannot do.

Last edited by CassioAug, May 22, 2019
  4. Pola92

Pola92 Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United States
    Hello, is there a way of moving my nsp installed games on my sd back to a nsp file on my pc?
    Thanks

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    1. Since ChoiDujourNX doesn't burn fuses, its not necessary but if you want a NAND backup that matches your firmware, you can dump it if you want to
    2. There are a couple of options. These include Aluminum Foil, Fluffy, and NS-USBloader. They all work with Tinfoil as well which is better than Goldleaf when it comes to installing .NSP files in my opinion
    3. About as safe as installing to a non-fake SD card
    1. Already banned is an overstatement since there is always a chance you just do not get banned. A more accurate description is you will flag yourself if you go online without 90DNS or Stealth Mode
    2. Yes but you will need to use a bootloader (e.g. payload that boots CFW) that bypasses the fuse check. Enabling AutoRCM after the restore will ensure you always perform this step as well as avoid the soft brick when you try turning the console on without manually booting into RCM
    3. A ban only applies to Nintendo's servers. It would be ludicrous if a ban affected the wireless capabilities of the console, not to mention potential legal trouble due to tampering with a device a customer owns and bought
    4. Roughly yes but there isn't much you can do with 90DNS/Stealth Mode. FTP can be replaced with the homebrew application nxmtp which is a USB transfer protocol tool. The Homebrew appstore isn't necessary as you can manually download and place the homebrew applications on your SD card yourself. Switch LAN Play and Xlink Kai can be used without 90DNS/Stealth Mode
    Your console doesn't store them as .NSP files because a .NSP file is just a container; what is actually installed are .NCA files. Because of this, you will need a specialized tool to convert and dump them into .NSP format. Examples include Goldleaf and SD to NSP Dumper.

6. Joxy

Joxy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2016
    Sweden
    How Can i use smash mods on fat32?
    I must have fat32 for sx OS emunand. :/

7. Pola92

Pola92 Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    United States
    Thanks a lot I wasn't sure i Goldleaf could do that, one more thing is it possible to move some of my .NCA installed files from my sd to the internal storage?

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You can use splitnsp.py to split the data.arc into <4 GB chunks which will work with FAT32.

Nope

9. Scipio_

Scipio_ Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United States
  10. CassioAug

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Brazil
    Thanks! You have been helping me a lot. I always search before asking, sometimes I can't find an answer, sometimes I find tons of conflicting reports.

I will just use Stealth Mode then, since I don't mind about playing online nor getting banned by Nintendo and neither even set up an NNID.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I particularly used this one: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/making_essential_backups/
    Actually, I used this guide to install Atmosphere for the 1st time, and all went well.

I also recommend you to check your backup integrity after you finish it using an SFV file. You can find more about this here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/quick-n...-your-backups-and-make-them-fail-safe.523678/

And don't forget to compress your backup after it. You can save TONS of space (like, from 29.1gb to maybe even less than 400mb).

Last edited by CassioAug, May 22, 2019
    Draxzelex and Scipio_ like this.
  11. ShiftControl

ShiftControl Newbie

Newcomer
    May 22, 2019
    Portugal
    I've recently bought a used Switch that came with SX Pro and OS. The previous owner was not very tech savvy, and never messed around with anything but playing backups in the console (but never went online).

I've read that pretty much everything you play and do in the console is logged and sent to the Nintendo Servers whevener you go online, and since the previous owner never set up a Emunand or backed up the NAND, I don't think I can go online without getting the console banned.

My question is: If I want to buy a legit game and play online, is there a way to remove said logs (like a factory reset) and set up the emunand?

12. Scipio_

Scipio_ Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United States
    Now that a proper emunand is out are people mostly using NSPs or XCIs and which is better?

13. Ninn

Ninn GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2006
    So i was gonna make a Nand backup of a New switch and inject a payload, but forgot to change to hekate, and injected the fusee-primary one instead. Am i screwed now? Will this leave any traces?

Last edited by Ninn, May 23, 2019
  14. CassioAug

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Brazil
    At this point I don't believe it's possible because the original owner never did a backup of the clean Nand. So, even if you do a factory reset, when you go online Nintendo can still that modifications were made.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Take a look at this thread:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/poll-which-dump-do-you-prefer-xci-or-nsp-why.510762/

Even though I do not play online and don't care about being banned, I feel like XCI is easier to handle as you can simply move it to your SD card or external HDD and play it. But you need SX OS to do it.

If you're going to install XCI using other CFWs, then I believe it's the same thing as installing NSP.

Last edited by CassioAug, May 23, 2019
    Scipio_ likes this.
  15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Its hard to tell but you should still make a NAND backup so you have something to recover from a brick.

16. Aaron Hervey

Aaron Hervey Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2016
    United States
    Hey, so I’m not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I’m having problems with SXOS. I successfully got into RCM, and have created an emunand backup and activated my license. The problem is, whenever I select boot custom fw or original fw the screen just goes black. I’m not sure what I did wrong and need help

[edit: fixed]

Last edited by Aaron Hervey, May 23, 2019
  17. CassioAug

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Brazil
    I had the same problem. Are you using 7.X or 8.X fw?
    If yes, download SX OS 2.7.1 Beta (2.5 seems to not support these fw).

If it still doesnt work, try to boot using TegraRCMGui instead of the dongle (in case you have the Pro kit) using SX Loader 1.0.

Please, tell me if it works for you.

18. Aaron Hervey

Aaron Hervey Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2016
    United States
    Thank you, this worked!

Last edited by Aaron Hervey, May 23, 2019
    CassioAug likes this.
  19. gummyren

gummyren Newbie

Newcomer
    May 23, 2019
    United States
    I am about to try to update my Switch and SXOS after months of not using it.

SXOS V 2.0.1
    Switch Firmware: 6.1.0

I wasn't the one who did the installed SX OS and I only thing I know about it is how to play games via XCI. That said, I've been reading about EMUNAND, and technically I can keep my Switch on the original 6.1.0 firmware but create an EMUNAND that has the new firmware and play with that?

Are there steps on how to activate this emunand and then use ChoiDujourNX to update it?

Also is it possible to update to a lower firmware than 8? I heard that XCI's are having problem with FW 8.

20. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    You can create EmuNAND in the SX OS menu. Turn your console off, insert jig and press Vol UP + the power button to enter the SX OS Menu. From there go to Options -> EmuNAND. Create it as files on the micro sd card or as hidden partition (safer). If you have autoRCM installed then you only need to insert a dongle to get to the SX OS Menu. After you have created EmuNAND, your EmuNAND will be a 1:1 copy of your SysNAND (which you used until now). In the next step you download ChoiDujourNX and the firmware files for the firmware you want to upgrade. Put them on your micro sd and boot in EmuNAND. In EmuNAND you start ChoiDujourNX and update. Also you can update to any firmware you want. XCI works fine on 8.0.1 but some people have issues with old NSP files.

gummyren likes this.