gavinfriday69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello all,

I’ve got an SX pro.
When I got the dongle, I updated my OFW switch to 7.0.1.. and I have installed EMUNAND with firmware 7.0.1.
Now I’ve used the switch to play a game through the emunand, offline.
My son would like to play FORNITE and that is a free download but an online game
So I know that going online with an NSP or XCI is a super risk for a ban.. like 200% chance
But is going online with a free game through OFW safe? When I only used emunand for the other games.
If I would download the game…most likely it will ask for a firmware update and then it will install the latest game update as well.
It would make my NAND backup useless because there might be fuses getting burnt (now or in the future) when the game needs the latest firmware
I would like to see what your advice would be. What is the risk here about getting banned?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got SX up and running today. SX 2.7.1 on OS 8.0.1

I notice that when installing some .NSPs, when I try to install it in the fully fledged SX Installer App, I get an error popping up right away that the install failed.

However, when I try to install the same game on the Installer tab of the SX OS splash screen, it installs fine.

What am I doing wrong?

I am also wondering what the best way to exit out of retroarch is to prevent SD corruption ( I am formatted as FAT32). Retro stopped supporting .nsp so the only way I can find to exit retro is to use the 'quit retro' function from within the app. I found old posts saying don't exit like that, leads to corruption, but idk what else to do.
Maybe SX Installer is buggy :P

And normally I would think using the homebrew application's built-in exit function would be sufficient as I don't use Retroarch. I also know a lot of homebrew applications can be exited by pressing the + button.

Hello all,

I’ve got an SX pro.
When I got the dongle, I updated my OFW switch to 7.0.1.. and I have installed EMUNAND with firmware 7.0.1.
Now I’ve used the switch to play a game through the emunand, offline.
My son would like to play FORNITE and that is a free download but an online game
So I know that going online with an NSP or XCI is a super risk for a ban.. like 200% chance
But is going online with a free game through OFW safe? When I only used emunand for the other games.
If I would download the game…most likely it will ask for a firmware update and then it will install the latest game update as well.
It would make my NAND backup useless because there might be fuses getting burnt (now or in the future) when the game needs the latest firmware
I would like to see what your advice would be. What is the risk here about getting banned?
By OFW, I'm going to assume you meant SysNAND because booting OFW in EmuNAND isn't safe especially if you have already used CFW/homebrew within in. As long as SysNAND is clean and hasn't booted any CFW or homebrew, your son should be fine to play Fortnite there.

And since you mentioned burning fuses, I'm also going to assume your SysNAND firmware is not on the latest version which is 8.0.1 Burning fuses doesn't make older NAND backups useless, it just requires an additional step to use them after you restore it. All of the bootloaders (aka the payloads that boot into CFW) bypass the fuse check so technically you can boot any firmware as long as you use a bootloader that bypasses the fuse check. Now this isn't useful for downgrading for future exploits such as untethered coldboot because you would be using 2 exploits to load one (sending a payload is an exploit in of itself) but it is useful if you don't have a NAND backup that matches your current fuse count. If you do happen to burn fuses and want to restore your old NAND backup, simply enable AutoRCM after the restore which will force you to use a bootloader payload to turn on the Switch which will automatically bypass the fuse check.

Now there are ways of updating without burning fuses. The most notorious is the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX but using that in SysNAND may taint it. Another option is to insert a jig and manually boot into RCM once the system update is finished installing. This guide covers that in greater detail. Lastly, you can do what I do which is to install system firmware updates downloaded online while running AutoRCM and CFW offline. What I mean is to have your console connect online and download the latest firmware update but do not install it. Then remove all Wi-Fi settings and reboot into a CFW that prevents AutoRCM from being removed during system updates such as the latest versions of Atmosphere or ReiNX (to my knowledge, SX OS does not preserve AutoRCM after system updates). Then install the update while running CFW which will not only update the system firmware but preserve AutoRCM and conversely the fuses. I haven't been banned for doing this yet even though it involves running CFW. Or you can just ignore all of this and update while burning fuses. It is your decision.

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Four questions:

1) Is there a problem in doing a Nand Backup while RCM is enabled?

2) Last night I cleaned (100%) my SD card, and put in there a new payload. I loaded it, did a Nand Backup. After I booted, all my games (including the ones that were installed in the internal memory) were gone: the icons were showing, but I could not load them and in the storage management option it was basically saying my internal memory was clean. Why?
I mean... I understand that the games installed in the SD were gone (obviously, since I cleaned it), but why the internal memory was also wiped?

Edit: (2 more questions)

3) I read a lot that to install through USB, I would need a USB-C cable. Is it okay if I do it with a USB-C to USB-A cable? My computer only have USB-A ports.

4) Installing through USB needs to be done through a FAT partition? Or I can just install it directly from my PC HD (NTFS)?

Last edited by CassioAug,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two questions:

1) Is there a problem in doing a Nand Backup while RCM is enabled?

2) Last night I cleaned (100%) my SD card, and put in there a new payload. I loaded it, did a Nand Backup. After I booted, all my games (including the ones that were installed in the internal memory) were gone: the icons were showing, but I could not load them and in the storage management option it was basically saying my internal memory was clean. Why?
I mean... I understand that the games installed in the SD were gone (obviously, since I cleaned it), but why the internal memory was also wiped?
  1. Nope
  2. You must have updated something else that you didn't mention. By new payload, what payload did you update? What CFW were you using? Did you restore a NAND backup that was made before those games were installed? How did you even dump the NAND in the first place? Think of anything else that you did no matter how irrelevant you believe it is.

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
  1. Nope
  2. You must have updated something else that you didn't mention. By new payload, what payload did you update? What CFW were you using? Did you restore a NAND backup that was made before those games were installed? How did you even dump the NAND in the first place? Think of anything else that you did no matter how irrelevant you believe it is.

I updated Atmosphere, and inserted new payload files. I did it because I got my Switch already hacked, and was unsure if I could trust the seller files. So I pretty much cleaned the SD and replaced all SD files according to the guide.

I did not restore any Nand (not as far as I know). Just backed up the current Nand and keys.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated Atmosphere, and inserted new payload files. I did it because I got my Switch already hacked, and was unsure if I could trust the seller files. So I pretty much cleaned the SD and replaced all SD files according to the guide.

I did not restore any Nand (not as far as I know). Just backed up the current Nand and keys.
Although unlikely, its possible you're missing the piracy patches which enable backup launching/installing. If you have those or if those still don't work after you put them on your SD card, you can try restoring the NAND backup you made if it was made before those games were installed. Your last resort will be to install the games as nothing you have done should have caused those games to be removed.

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Although unlikely, its possible you're missing the piracy patches which enable backup launching/installing. If you have those or if those still don't work after you put them on your SD card, you can try restoring the NAND backup you made if it was made before those games were installed. Your last resort will be to install the games as nothing you have done should have caused those games to be removed.

I actually considered this could be the issue. But the reason I believe it wasnt the lack of sigpatches, is that when I went to the memory management option in settings, it was pretty much clean. As if my games were not occupying anything in the memory (they were set as 0.0kb).

I mean... if I place games / data not recognized by the Switch, will it consider as if there was no data (and show it as free space) or will it consider as used memory just not telling which kinda of data it was? (since I'm new to it, I did not check through Gold Leaf)

Losing the games wasnt a big deal to me, to be fair. I just think it was very strange for this to happen. Wonder what might have occurred.

Also, if you don't mind, I updated my previous post with 2 more questions regarding installation through USB.

er3eroMKII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I currently use sx os and want to update my emuNAND to 7.0.1. I have choiNx and the firmware on my SD card. Considering that I want to update the emuNAND do I need to select autoRCM because of the fuses?
If so, how do I turn of?

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I currently use sx os and want to update my emuNAND to 7.0.1. I have choiNx and the firmware on my SD card. Considering that I want to update the emuNAND do I need to select autoRCM because of the fuses?
If so, how do I turn of?

In SX OS, after you boot it, go to Options > Install / Uninstall AutoRCM.

If I'm not mistaken, AutoRCM per se doesnt prevent you from burning fuses, the CFW already does it by itself. I believe the reason it's recommended to use AutoRCM is to prevent you from booting to OFW, which will, in fact, burn them. Anyway, I would recommend activating AutoRCM and keep using it... it seems to be considered really safe nowadays.

ShamblesFaux

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Setted my SX OS emunand up.
Now if i want to play online do i click "boot original fw" and to play xci's and nsp's and such "boot custom fw" or do i always switch emunand enabled on and off and click "boot custom firmware"?

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setted my SX OS emunand up.
Now if i want to play online do i click "boot original fw" and to play xci's and nsp's and such "boot custom fw" or do i always switch emunand enabled on and off and click "boot custom firmware"?
Always leave the "emunand enabled" on. The option is there for a very specific situation where you want to use custom firmware on sysnand. You don't want to do that because you are trying to avoid a ban. Boot original fw to play legit games online. Boot custom fw (with emunand on) to play backups and use homebrew. Never go online with your emunand.

Edit: to clarify, the emunand on/off has no effect when doing "boot original fw".

Last edited by CanIHazWarez,

Sno206

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have not been on here for a few months so my mind is a bit foggy. But i have just updated my switch running firmware version 7.0.0 to 8.0.1.

With that I decided to update the KOSMO's version and overwrite the same files from the new SD pack over the ones on the SD card. Everything boots up perfectly however when trying to run any of my game back ups I am getting an error reading: "could not start the software, Please try again from the HOME Menu"

Cheers for any help!

Edit: My bad, my version of the Kosmos bundle defaulted to install without sig patches. All fixed now.

Last edited by Sno206,

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now that it's been about a year, is there a definitive, quality jig that doesn't do too much damage to the pins? apologies if this gets asked a lot, i haven't been on gbatemp in quite a while.

with the recent emunand teases, i'm finally interested in messing with my switch.

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It might sound silly, but I want to ask just in case, to avoid further issues.

I am currently doing the Emunand proccess in SX OS. Right now it is telling me: "Dumping raw nand..."

Will I need to create a Nand Backup after this, or the proccess of creating a EmuNand is alredeay creating my backup?
If it is, after it finishes, all I need to do is to copy the files from the SD and save them in my computer?

Last edited by CassioAug,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: (2 more questions)

3) I read a lot that to install through USB, I would need a USB-C cable. Is it okay if I do it with a USB-C to USB-A cable? My computer only have USB-A ports.

4) Installing through USB needs to be done through a FAT partition? Or I can just install it directly from my PC HD (NTFS)?
  • Yes
  • It must be done from your computer. Only SX OS supports installing .NSP files from (not to) an HDD or thumb drive
I mean... if I place games / data not recognized by the Switch, will it consider as if there was no data (and show it as free space) or will it consider as used memory just not telling which kinda of data it was? (since I'm new to it, I did not check through Gold Leaf)
If it doesn't recognize any of the installed games, it won't even read the SD card. Installed games are placed in the Nintendo folder which is console-specific. If it detects the Nintendo folder doesn't match your console, the console will nag you to delete the contents from the SD card.

now that it's been about a year, is there a definitive, quality jig that doesn't do too much damage to the pins? apologies if this gets asked a lot, i haven't been on gbatemp in quite a while.

with the recent emunand teases, i'm finally interested in messing with my switch.
Not really. Most people either modify their Joy-Con or enable AutoRCM. Unfortunately the best jig is only available via SX Pro which costs $40 since you have to buy the license and dongle alongside the jig.

It might sound silly, but I want to ask just in case, to avoid further issues.

I am currently doing the Emunand proccess in SX OS. Right now it is telling me: "Dumping raw nand..."

Will I need to create a Nand Backup after this, or the proccess of creating a EmuNand is alredeay creating my backup?
If it is, after it finishes, all I need to do is to copy the files from the SD and save them in my computer?
EmuNAND is a copy of your SysNAND so it has to first dump your NAND in order to make an EmuNAND partition. If you have not made a NAND backup yet, do so immediately. I recommend using Hekate as unlike SX OS, it can verify your NAND dump.

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
EmuNAND is a copy of your SysNAND so it has to first dump your NAND in order to make an EmuNAND partition. If you have not made a NAND backup yet, do so immediately. I recommend using Hekate as unlike SX OS, it can verify your NAND dump.

So, If Emunand dump my Nand, can I do just one process in order to obtain both? (backup and emunand)
Actually, I did a Nand backup from Hekate already (although I didn't verified it, as I wasn't aware it was possible). I wonder if it is necessary to do a new one since I moved to SX OS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s