SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Always leave the "emunand enabled" on. The option is there for a very specific situation where you want to use custom firmware on sysnand. You don't want to do that because you are trying to avoid a ban. Boot original fw to play legit games online. Boot custom fw (with emunand on) to play backups and use homebrew. Never go online with your emunand.

Edit: to clarify, the emunand on/off has no effect when doing "boot original fw".

Last edited by CanIHazWarez, May 21, 2019
  2. Sno206

Sno206 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

I have not been on here for a few months so my mind is a bit foggy. But i have just updated my switch running firmware version 7.0.0 to 8.0.1.

With that I decided to update the KOSMO's version and overwrite the same files from the new SD pack over the ones on the SD card. Everything boots up perfectly however when trying to run any of my game back ups I am getting an error reading: "could not start the software, Please try again from the HOME Menu"

Cheers for any help!

Edit: My bad, my version of the Kosmos bundle defaulted to install without sig patches. All fixed now.

Last edited by Sno206, May 21, 2019
  3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    now that it's been about a year, is there a definitive, quality jig that doesn't do too much damage to the pins? apologies if this gets asked a lot, i haven't been on gbatemp in quite a while.

with the recent emunand teases, i'm finally interested in messing with my switch.

4. CassioAug

CassioAug Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Brazil
    It might sound silly, but I want to ask just in case, to avoid further issues.

I am currently doing the Emunand proccess in SX OS. Right now it is telling me: "Dumping raw nand..."

Will I need to create a Nand Backup after this, or the proccess of creating a EmuNand is alredeay creating my backup?
    If it is, after it finishes, all I need to do is to copy the files from the SD and save them in my computer?

Last edited by CassioAug, May 21, 2019
  5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    • Yes
    • It must be done from your computer. Only SX OS supports installing .NSP files from (not to) an HDD or thumb drive
    If it doesn't recognize any of the installed games, it won't even read the SD card. Installed games are placed in the Nintendo folder which is console-specific. If it detects the Nintendo folder doesn't match your console, the console will nag you to delete the contents from the SD card.

Not really. Most people either modify their Joy-Con or enable AutoRCM. Unfortunately the best jig is only available via SX Pro which costs $40 since you have to buy the license and dongle alongside the jig.

EmuNAND is a copy of your SysNAND so it has to first dump your NAND in order to make an EmuNAND partition. If you have not made a NAND backup yet, do so immediately. I recommend using Hekate as unlike SX OS, it can verify your NAND dump.

6. CassioAug

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Brazil
    So, If Emunand dump my Nand, can I do just one process in order to obtain both? (backup and emunand)
    Actually, I did a Nand backup from Hekate already (although I didn't verified it, as I wasn't aware it was possible). I wonder if it is necessary to do a new one since I moved to SX OS.

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    No, EmuNAND doesn't dump your NAND to your SD card; it makes a copy of it which it then repartitions into EmuNAND. You cannot use that file to unbrick SysNAND because it is a file meant for EmuNAND.

8. CassioAug

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Brazil
    Thank you!!

9. asdatoan

asdatoan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2018
    Australia
    Just bought a switch and it came with 8.0.1 (unpatched), should i revert it to 7.0.0 or is it safe to use 8.0.1 (not sure if any of the fuses or anything are burnt or not)

10. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    If it didn’t come with autoRCM, your fuses are 100% burnt up to 9. Also CFW works on 8.0.1. No need to downgrade to 7.0.0.

11. Zdobuzdo

Zdobuzdo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2018
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    PlaYer says:
    "If Nintendo releases a new update, we need to wait until the new update is supported by CFW. When it's supported, you simply update SysNAND with official system update and EmuNAND with the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX."
    I am little confused, can i simply update my xs os switch with Choi, do i need update sysnand with official update?

12. er3eroMKII

er3eroMKII Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2018
    Brazil
    1 - I did a NAND backup using hekate, but I injected the payload through Sx os. I'm having problems dumping my keys using hekate through Sx os,read somewhere that I needed to inject the payload directly. So I was wondering, could this compatibility issue concerning hekate injected through SX OS have messed up my nand backup in anyway?
    2 - I'm considering installing autoRCM with SX OS, but I read somewhere about the problems of turning off the switch with autoRCM on. How does it work with sx os?
    2.1 - in that case, the only difference of autoRCM on is that I'll never be able to boot into ofw and I won't need a jig?

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    1. No, booting Hekate through SX OS will not affect your NAND dump
    2. With SX OS, you have to reboot into the SX OS menu to turn off a console with AutoRCM because if you turn the Switch off normally while running SX OS, it will reboot into RCM. Free CFW avoid this altogether because they now properly turn off a console whenever you shut down the console which is one of the many disadvantages of SX OS
    3. Yes

14. gavinfriday69

gavinfriday69 Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    Belgium
    What is the correct procedure with auto rcm for the SX OS?
    Turn it off via the option inside the SX OS menu?
    Turn it off through the power button.. and completely shut off instead of sleep mode?

I read about draining batteries because of sleep mode? So you need to turn it off completely?

If it gets drained .. what should be done?

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/autorcm-with-the-nintendo-switch-101.515402/

16. gavinfriday69

gavinfriday69 Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    Belgium
    I have SX OS with EMUNAND on 7.0.1.
    this CFW has the option to transfer files through FTP. When I try to enable this it says an internet connection is required.
    But I for the moment, I deleted all my wifi settings to avoid triggering an update (auto update is turned off) or anything else.
    So activating my wifi settings doesn't feel too safe to do. But maybe i'm too cautious
    What is the correct way to avoid launching anything unwanted?

17. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You can go on wifi as long stealth mode is on.

18. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    United Kingdom
    3 small questions:

-Do I need to make a backup of my nand and keys every time I update the firmware with choidujournx? Or is this not necessary?

-Currently I'm using Goldleaf and always put my files on the SD card itself to install games. But I like to switch over to fat (instead of exfat). So I need to learn how to install over USB. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what the best/easiest/most successful client for windows 7/10 to use? Also do I need to prepare anything else switch wise?

-Is it safe to install NSP's to the internal memory of the switch? I have never done this before. I don't go online anyway so being banned is not an issue to consider.

19. gavinfriday69

gavinfriday69 Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    Belgium
    but won't turning on wifi trigger an update OFW signal?

20. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You are on emunand so it doesn't matter, you can always update via choidujourNX if you are worry about update prompt, if stealth mode was mode maybe the system would update via ota.