AutoRCM with the Nintendo Switch 101

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Draxzelex, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Draxzelex
    OP

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Disclaimer
    The following only applies to users with AutoRCM and without any dongles, modchips, trinkets, or other hardmods. Different types of AutoRCM also does not change any of the following behavior. Lastly, respect that not all users wish to use sleep mode.
    Ever since the conception of AutoRCM, there have been a lot of confusion surrounding its usage. One of them is the way to turn a console fully off when AutoRCM is installed. Up until now, the two ways were using Hekate's Power Off option or performing a manual shutdown in HOS (Horizon) otherwise known as holding the power button for 12 seconds. After some experimentation, the latter does not actually turn a console fully off. Below you will find my methodology about how I came to this conclusion as well as some other pertinent findings.

The only way to know if a console is in RCM or not is by plugging it into a device that can detect the Switch is in RCM or not. This can be accomplished by plugging in the Switch via USB into a Windows computer. Then you can test the various methods of shutting the console down to see if they were successful or not. Remember to plug it in before you turn the console off otherwise it will turn back on, rendering the result as a false positive.
    Example of a successful shutdown
    Example of an unsuccessful shutdown

With this procedure in hand, I performed a manual shutdown in Horizon with AutoRCM installed. This rebooted the console back into RCM in 10-15 seconds, give or take. However, after performing another manual shutdown in RCM, I found that the console did not reboot into RCM. This means that using Hekate's Power Off option as well as a manual shutdown in RCM can turn a Switch with AutoRCM installed fully off. This also meant that you can never fully turn off a Switch with AutoRCM installed from Horizon; it must be done from RCM. To backup my claim and to refute people who believe the Switch is rebooting into RCM because of the USB cable, I performed another test which you can see below.

Second Test with Manual Shutdown
    From here, I decided to test different types of AutoRCM as well as all of the options of shutting down the console. What I discovered was that the type of AutoRCM did not affect the ability of the console to properly shut down. Using one of the aforementioned ways of shutting down the console worked regardless of which type of AutoRCM I used. But I also discovered was that if I selected Power Off from Horizon, sending SX Loader as a payload turned my console off. This only works if you keep a USB connection with the console when you perform the shutdown such as with a dongle. If you select Power Off from Horizon without a USB connection, sending SX OS as a payload will boot the console into SX OS like normal. I put SX OS (boot.dat) on the SD card but I did not have an activated license so I am not sure if the license will change this behavior or not. It should be worth noting ReiNX.bin mimics the same behavior without any files on the SD card. The following are the results of trying to power down the Switch with other methods.

SX OS Power Off & Manual Shutdown
    Lastly, if you are not going to be using the SX Loader approach to turn off your Switch with AutoRCM installed, you will need a fast and effective way of entering RCM to either use Hekate's Power Off option or a manual shutdown. Pressing Power Off from HOS will take some time to reboot the console into RCM. Therefore, its better to use the Restart function as that will almost immediately reboot the console into RCM. From there, use one of the non-SX Loader methods of fully turning the Switch off.

tl;dr To turn off a Switch with AutoRCM installed, use one of the following methods:
    1. Hekate's Power Off option
    2. Manual Shutdown in RCM
    3. Press Power Off from Horizon, wait 10-15 seconds for it to reboot into RCM while its plugged in via USB, then send SX Loader with boot.dat on the micro SD inserted in the console or ReiNX.bin
    EDIT: While most people are aware that AutoRCM reduces the charge rate of the Switch while it is in RCM, the actual difference is not easy to find as they were discovered by the developer of Hekate, CTCaer, in a semi-related thread about AutoRCM. The following is the results of his test, quoted directly from the source for easier referencing:

Last edited by Draxzelex, Sep 8, 2018
  2. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    With a modchip installed the console would just reboot them right.

3. Draxzelex
    OP

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Unless you flashed SX Loader, the console will always reboot with whatever payload you sent. And even with SX Loader, you must use Horizon's or SX OS' Power Off option. A manual shutdown will put you into a perpetual loop with SX Loader.

4. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    I don't understand this. I'm not saying that this information is invalid, but anecdotally this is not what I experience.
    I use Rajikosto's AutoRCM and shut down within Horizon, and it really does fully shut it down.

5. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    We know. However the detailed post is appreciated.

kenchilada and Tomobobo like this.
  6. palantine

palantine GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2014
    Italy
    It may be possible to make a homebrew that properly shuts down. I'll look into it tomorrow.

7. Dfroberts86

Dfroberts86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    I thought mine was also doing the same thing, but after testing some more, I can confirm that mine does a full shutdown from horizon when I hold for 12 seconds. My phone does not detect rcm mode until I press the power button again to turn it on.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

8. loler55

loler55 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2012
    Gambia, The
    same here sx os 12 sec power down then i have to power on for a sec to get into rcm

9. Dfroberts86

Dfroberts86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    I'm using rajnx with autorcm enabled from is loader.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

10. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Thanks for the PSA.
    However I'd suggest restarting and injecting the payload instead of rebooting and waiting for 10-15 seconds.
    Also for anyone in a survival situation (Switch without dongle/cable and on low battery) you should manually shut down (hold power button for 12 seconds, 15 to make sure) from horizon instead if counting on the sleep function.

Last edited by Zumoly, Aug 19, 2018 - Reason: Autocorrect is a pain!
  11. Phenj

Phenj GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    Italy
    Using the Power OFF button in the SX-OS menu (with license) puts me back in RCM.

12. Andalitez

Andalitez GBAtemp Regular

Jul 2, 2018
    France
    Final Space
    I use a Gemma M0, it flashes yellow when its ready to send a payload.I have SX OS loaded on there.
    When it detects my device in RCM, it stops flashing and sends the payload which causes the switch to boot.
    I've shut down my switch from HOS, plugged in my flashing Gemma M0 and it continued to flash until i hit the power button (which made it boot)

So im not sure how its different from your experience,but i've added the hekate.bin on the root of my SD card there too just in case i need to open SX Menu and load Hekate to Shut Down

13. mariogamer

mariogamer GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    Canada
    Heh. Now time to me to complain about not posting a thread about it.It would not be as nice as this one tho so thanks :P

If I remember I got the same result.
    (tho if someone can detail why in both case it doesn't shutdow....)

Power off needs access to the pmc if I remember, which need TrustZone to be accessed. So not the classic homebrew way.

However, custome trustzone (exosphere for example) can be made to handle some specific signal from users (like "true power off" or "reboot into rcm)

So yeah might be more complex than just writing a homwbew that shutdown, but easily doeable. (I saw that you've made a cfw for the 3ds? So yeah for experienced deb it's not a problem)

Last edited by mariogamer, Aug 19, 2018
  14. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    I haven't consistently tested this but when I first installed AutoRCM, I noticed I couldn't shut down my Switch either. You think it's shut down but if you give it about 10 seconds, it would reboot back into RCM eventually. I haven't tried shutting down from a bootloader menu so don't know if that would work. But a normal shut down from Horizon doesn't work.

15. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Thank you! I didn't know it was possible to shutdown with autorcm installed. Using sx dongle to shutdown now. Works as long no usb cable is plugged in into switch and pc (switch goes immediatly into rcm that way).

16. Garrincho

Garrincho GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2015
    Uruguay
    Let us know how that goes, it'd be pretty great!

17. KsAmJ

KsAmJ GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    so long thread short:

• just reboot /power off from horizon
    • holding the vol+ send the sx payload
    • then select options->power off

Works every time like a charm

18. Draxzelex
    OP

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Are you charging the console after doing so? Are you using any dongle? I can easily test this by letting my console drain battery but I've seen it reboot into RCM when I press Power Off from Horizon. In fact, that is how I am able to send SX Loader without touching the Power button or reconnecting the USB cable. The only other explanation would be that the USB connection reboots the console into RCM but this is untrue with Hekate's Power Off option no matter how long I keep it plugged in.
    Try powering it off without your license. That is the only part I cannot reproduce. Also all testing is done without any hardmods so do not use those either. Lastly, it reboots into RCM after around 10-15 seconds so wait at least a minute before you're confident it didn't reboot.
    RajNX is literally just Hekate with Atmosphere's IPS patches. I admit I didn't try it in my initial testing but just like every other CFW/bootloader, the console rebooted into RCM after 10-15 seconds. However now I am testing to see if there is any battery drain meaning it was in RCM the whole time. Its possible your phone wasn't detecting the console in RCM at first possibly due to not waiting at least a minute before touching the power button. I'd also recommend using a Windows computer.

UPDATE: The console drained around 55% in about 9 hours doing what you recommended so either perform a similar test or provide video proof of the console not entering RCM after performing a manual shutdown because I've now proven in 2 different ways it will drain battery regardless of whatever CFW or type of AutoRCM you use.
    I agree with the first part but the second option, the manual shut down from Horizon won't turn off the console. The manual shutdown in RCM is reserved for the dongle/cable-less and its easy to get to without performing a manual shutdown in Horizon. Either use the Restart function or the new EasyPower homebrew which will both cause the console to reboot into RCM almost instantaneously.

Last edited by Draxzelex, Aug 20, 2018
  19. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    I made a homemade LEDE dongle with a guide on GBATemp. If I plug the switch into the dongle while the console is powered on, and within Horizon choose the regular "Shut Down" option, the console is truly shut down and does not automatically reboot into a payload. If I disconnect it, and then plug it back in, the Switch wakes up from the power source and reboots with the payload.

20. Draxzelex
    OP

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Ah okay, that is fine. I don't have a dongle so I can't test that. This thread is for those of us who don't have a hardmod. Thank you for the clarification. I mentioned this point in the Disclaimer btw ;)