SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. DrDoctor

DrDoctor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2017
    United Kingdom
    What's the recommended way to do a NAND/boot0/boot1 backup of a brand new/factory reset Switch?
    a) Go through the first setup process until the Home menu is accessible.
    b) Do the Fusée Gelée right from the start without going through that first setup.

2. Ali3n90

Ali3n90 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2019
    United States
    Do nsps carry software updates? How is it possible that a switch gets updated without internet connection and 90DSN set up?

Last edited by Ali3n90, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Ninse

Ninse Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2018
    France
    Hello,

some other noob questions I have :)

1/If I avoid burning fuse using choixdujournx, will I be banned when going online using RCM > OFW launch method? (Basically another way of asking the question is : can Nintendo detect a discrepancy between the number of burned fuses and the OS version?)
    2/Using SXOS, can I neatly make folders for my homebrews or do I need to have them all in root folder?
    3/Can I update OFW to 8.0 using choixdujournx and keep emuNAND at 7.x ?

4. Viking_Redbeard

Viking_Redbeard Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2018
    United States
    Denver, CO
    [QUOTE="Draxzelex, post: 8602031, member: 42

Firmware? Also what updates for Smash did you install? And did you install all or some of the DLC? Lastly, CFW?[/QUOTE]
    Atmos 0.8.7, OS 7.0.1, the 3.0 update and some dlc packs that unlock Joker, knuckles, tails, persona stuff. I'm thinking I should uninstall and try to find a better source for the DLC.

Last edited by Viking_Redbeard, Apr 20, 2019
  5. ssssss13

ssssss13 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Regarding choidujuour, even if I have fat32 is better to update on exfat, right? I mean no problem and I get exfat in case I need it, right?

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Installing the driver is fine, less file corruption when you are on FAT32, you can use exFAT just in case since you installed the driver.

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Whoops forgot to mention this important bit. The way we prevent the cartridge slot from being updated is by breaking it meaning to allow you to use cartridges on firmwares below 4.0, you cannot use cartridges on firmwares above 4.0. So you have to pick which side of the spectrum you want your cartridges to work.

Yes and yes.

Yes

Just google splitting .XCI files or USB install with .NSP files. There are about as many workarounds as there are different files that need workarounds.

No but when you restore your boot0/boot1, AutoRCM will be enabled so don't confuse the black screen for a brick.

That should work, yes.

Dumping the NAND after enabling AutoRCM simply means when you restore your boot0/boot1, AutoRCM will be re-enabled. If you still don't understand, if you ever have to restore your NAND, the screen will stay black after you restore it not because its bricked but because your dumped boot0/boot1 have AutoRCM installed. This isn't a bad thing, just something to keep in mind. Also the GPT repair option is useless if you have a complete NAND dump.

I'm not really sure how to answer that. Theoretically, you can dump the NAND before you ever start the console. But that means when you restore that NAND dump, the console will become brand new. So its really up to you whether you want to dump the NAND before or after the first time you initialize the Switch.

No but installing certain .NSP files updates a list on the console that tells it there is a higher system firmware out there.

1. Theoretically yes but no one has been banned thus far for doing that myself included
    2. All homebrew applications go in the /switch folder. All CFW do this
    3. Yes but I don't see any reason to update to 8.0 outside of online play

Its also possible your base game is corrupt as there was a 'Suncat' version going around when the game was leaked that wasn't a clean dump.

DocKalbo, Paragon0 and Ninse like this.
  8. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
    It's worth upgrading to 8.0, is it mandatory to play?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Absolutely nothing requires firmware 8.0. Heck, you can still play online and access the eShop with firmware 7.X as long as you're not banned.

Ghost92 likes this.
  10. tv8tony

tv8tony Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2010
    United States
    so i updated kosmos via utility and now in both tinfoil and gold leaf if i press the home button the whole switch crashes but only wen i have usb plugged in
    firmware 7.0.1 (ams 0.8.8) kosmos error code 2000-0000(0x0)

i have tried reinstalling update and going to bleeding edge channel any ideas whats going on or how to fix it ?

11. Zarxrax

Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2005
    United States
    Is it possible these days to hack my switch to run homebrew and try out some offline games, without risking getting banned online?

12. Ninse

Ninse Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2018
    France
    OK, after searching I see that there is a way to prevent the cartridge firmware from being upgraded (and its fuse burnt) using hekate.
    Is there something equivalent with sxos?

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Not that I'm aware of. SX OS is not the best CFW around. Free CFW can basically do what SX OS accomplishes and more such as actual customization of the CFW and some quality of life features.

14. Ali3n90

Ali3n90 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2019
    United States

15. Ninse

Ninse Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2018
    France
    You're fast as lightning my dude, kudos to you, you're very helpful :)

Well, I chose SXOS because it's simple to use.
    So that gives me some other questions :
    1/What are the most complete/"tweakable" CFW around?
    2/Is there a simple way to dual install a CFW? Basically having 2 emuNANDs, one based on sxos, the second on another CFW?

16. Marter714

Marter714 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Alright I'm super green when it comes to Switch hacking so please forgive me if my questions are dumb.

I'm currently on the newest firmware 8.0.0
    Is there anyway of getting cfw on it? Downgrade?
    What emulators are currently playable on the Switch? I'm hoping for a 3DS and PS Vita emulator though I'm pretty sure those aren't likely lol
    Anyway to play online with a hacked Switch? I barely play online but every now and then my friends and I play Smash Bros or MK8.
    Okay I think that's all my questions.
    Thanks in advance :lol:

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Dunno why you responded to my post in the quote but its impossible to install a system update from a .NSP file. Your console was connected to the Internet at some point and had a pending system update.

IMO all CFW are simple to use. You can struggle with SX OS about as much other CFW and I've seen it firsthand as I offer troubleshooting for all CFW but I digress.

Atmosphere hasn't reached a 1.0 build yet meaning its not necessarily complete while ReiNX is technically complete and about as customizeable as ReiNX. There really is no best CFW overall at the moment as they all have their own quirks and uses. Just use them all and see which one you personally prefer. Also CFW is never really installed so you can just have multiple CFW on one SD card. Of course you can only boot one at a time.

The latest release of Atmosphere which is version 0.8.8 supports firmware 8.0 but certain applications don't work on that firmware such as the overclocking sysmodule and Incognito. A 3DS emulator is highly unlikely at least for the next few years. And while nobody has ever asked for a Vita emulator, that is probably actually impossible. Also you can play online with a hacked Switch so long as you're not banned which is up to Nintendo. If you don't want to get banned, either don't hack or buy a second console. There is Switch-LAN play and Xlink-Kai which allows you to play games that support LAN over a network without CFW but games that don't support LAN require a sysmodule known as idn_mitm which can only be run with CFW.

Marter714 and Ninse like this.
  18. Marter714

Marter714 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    So I should probably just wait till 8.0 gets full cfw support mainly Incognito so I can play online.

Last edited by Marter714, Apr 21, 2019
  19. rosko25

rosko25 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2019
    United States
    Hello I am having a problem with my switch whenever i try and go to my sx os menu to install a game i keep getting ERROR Code: 2168-0002. I taken all the games off i have on my microsd card and i an able to boot to the menu but whenever i place a backup game on ther it always gives me an error. I have tried 3 different micro cards to see if it was the cards. I got 1 card from walmart and 2 from amazon so they seem to be legit cards. I tried downloading both nsp and xci from multiple websites and still getting error. Can some one help me to find out why I keep greeting this error? Thank you for any help you can provide me?

20. Kubez

Kubez GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    If you just want emulators and nothing else, try lakka. It doesn’t have sound support or Bluetooth right now, but sound is coming soon.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted