Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

JumpGamer09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating officially will burn fuses and prevent you from downgrading to lower firmwares without using a bootloader in RCM to bypass the fuse check (and even if you do, the console cannot go into Sleep Mode). So you won't be able to utilize exploits on lower firmwares and any CFW that don't support 6.2 (hence why I mentioned that Atmosphere is the only CFW that supports 6.2 currently since there is no ETA on when other CFW will get support)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not all homebrew appears to be supported on firmware 6.2 despite the exploit giving us access to all firmwares. Some examples of currently unsupported homebrew on 6.2 include kezplez-nx (for dumping keys) and gcdumptool/WAIN cart dumper (for dumping cartridges). And as more and more firmwares come out, more and more stuff will break (which can be fixed but fixes take time).

Most likely your console initially had exFAT support for the firmware it was running, but when you updated, you didn't choose exFAT so exFAT support wasn't applied to the firmware you were installing. Also did you use ChoiDujour or ChoiDujourNX? Don't tell me it doesn't make a difference as these are two completely different applications used on two completely separate systems.

I'm going to try converting a my exFAT sd card into a FAT32 to see if that will do anything.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to update from Atmosphere 0.7.5 to 0.8.1, on FW 6.1.0. Hekate is 4.5. I get as far as the switch logo before getting a crash with error code 2003-0008 and the title of 0100000000001000 (the home menu). Thought it might've been my theme, so I removed it. Still crashed. Is there some extra step I'm missing in this? Restoring Atmosphere to 0.7.5 works fine, so it's not a major issue. I just would like to keep Atmosphere up to date.
Maybe try a clean SD card installation?
It was ChoiDujourNX. Anything I can do from the RCM menu? It seems the only way for me to boot up my Switch is through RCM mode.
I was going to suggest using ChoiDujour which is what ChoiDujourNX is based off of but switching to FAT32 will work as well.
hmmmmm, okay, and i know the detail about how updates burn fuses that prevents too much in the way of downgrading..........lets see.....i don't mind carrying cartridges around, so that's not too major of a loss, though can always hope that they'll find a way to get that working again.......how much of a loss is not being able to dump keys? i'm assuming that pertains to specific hardware keys and the like?
You can dump console-specific keys still thanks to Hekate and biskeydump but the public keys cannot be dumped on 6.2 for the time being. However since they are public keys, they work on all consoles and are most likely being illegally shared somewhere on the Internet.

JumpGamer09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe try a clean SD card installation?
I was going to suggest using ChoiDujour which is what ChoiDujourNX is based off of but switching to FAT32 will work as well.

Using a 64GB SD card as a test, I converted it into an FAT32 and transferred the contents of my last SD Card into it. Everything seems to be working again. It's actually better to use a FAT32 card over an exFAT to avoid corruption right?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a 64GB SD card as a test, I converted it into an FAT32 and transferred the contents of my last SD Card into it. Everything seems to be working again. It's actually better to use a FAT32 card over an exFAT to avoid corruption right?
Pretty much but if you're careful, you can avoid corruption.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a Switch with Hekate on 4.x. Assuming I'm just interested retaining homebrew opportunity (and not actively use Homebrew).

It's okay for me to update to the latest 6.x to download and buy Smash from the switch store--and still retain the ability to downgrade for Homebrew (assuming I always boot through Hekate with AutoRCM)?

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a Switch with Hekate on 4.x. Assuming I'm just interested retaining homebrew opportunity (and not actively use Homebrew).

It's okay for me to update to the latest 6.x to download and buy Smash from the switch store--and still retain the ability to downgrade for Homebrew (assuming I always boot through Hekate with AutoRCM)?

if you don't care about sleep more then it is possible to downgrade from 6.2, however by updating officially you loose the ability to run warmboot hax (dejavu) as well due to fuses burning

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
if you don't care about sleep more then it is possible to downgrade from 6.2, however by updating officially you loose the ability to run warmboot hax (dejavu) as well due to fuses burning

Isn't the point of using Hekate and AutoRCM to avoid burning fuses?

Is there a way to me to "unofficially update"?

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah using choidujourNX + Autorcm. However if you update using the nintendo bootloader and boot ofw then it will burn the fuses. Does that make sense?

ChoidujourNX

I see. I misunderstood that using AutoRCM would always avoid the Nintendo Bootloader, meaning that Hekate+AutoRCM would be sufficient. I suppose this is not the case.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I see. I misunderstood that using AutoRCM would always avoid the Nintendo Bootloader, meaning that Hekate+AutoRCM would be sufficient. I suppose this is not the case.

Right sorry, I misread, my bad, it would suffice, but you need to enter into RCM before the nintendo bootloader runs after the update installs or it will burn fuses. As long as your fuse count stays as it is, you can downgrade easily

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Right sorry, I misread, my bad, it would suffice, but you need to enter into RCM before the nintendo bootloader runs after the update installs or it will burn fuses. As long as your fuse count stays as it is, you can downgrade easily

I have AutoRCM enabled, so as I understand, it should always default to Hekate, correct?

I am aware I am forfeiting sleep mode for now, and am willing to accept that.

In that case, is there any reason I can't do the update OTA through official Nintendo servers? When it restarts, Hekate should take place of the OFW bootloader, yes?

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have AutoRCM enabled, so as I understand, it should always default to Hekate, correct?

I am aware I am forfeiting sleep mode for now, and am willing to accept that.

In that case, is there any reason I can't do the update OTA through official Nintendo servers? When it restarts, Hekate should take place of the OFW bootloader, yes?

Correct

Sleep mode is forfeited when the fuses burn and you downgrade, if you upgrade and don't burn fuses sleepmode should still work.

Yes, however if you install the update officially it overrides boot0 (autoRCM) so you are required to have a jig inserted into the joycon rail to boot back into rcm with the button combination and re-enable Autorcm.

does that make sense?

• A reliable jig (you need a jig that you're sure works unless you wanna burn your fuses. So a paperclip won't do)
    • An internet connection.
    • A stable hand that doesn't let go of the Volume Up button.
    • ReiNX Toolkit to enable AutoRCM (If you are going this route AutoRCM is a necessity)
    • A usb type-c cable and a way to push a payload to your Switch
    1. If you have AutoRCM enabled, disable it for now. You can do so from the ReiNX Toolkit.

2. Shut off your Switch, and make sure you can successfully boot into RCM every time with your jig. Practice, you only get one shot at this.

3. Boot your Switch with ReiNX as you have done in the past. KEEP THE JIG INSIDE THE JOYCON RAIL.

4. Go into System Settings -> System -> System Update. Begin the process.

5. While your switch is updating, hold down Volume Up the whole time. Make sure the jig is still inside the rail.

6. When it's done updating, it will reboot into RCM (because you're holding down volume up and the jig is in).

7. Push the ReiNX.bin payload as you were instructed before in the guide.

8. Once you're in ReiNX, navigate to the ReiNX Toolkit and enable AutoRCM. This is now mandatory.
    • The reason this is mandatory is that your Switch will burn fuses if it ever touches Original Firmware (booting without RCM), which you can easily do if you forget to have your jig in your Switch or accidentally turn it on normally. When you are running ReiNX you will never burn fuses but will remain on the latest firmware. Remember, AutoRCM is reversible, burning fuses is not.
    9. You're all set! You should now be on the latest version and haven't burnt any fuses.

The above is taken from the reinx guide but should explain the process

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

of course you can substitute the pushed reinx.bin with hekate

LordD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i want to take the plunge and hack my switch for RetroArch and Quake engines but i cant seem to find a clear answer. How do i use my bought eShop and cartridges? Will they still be able to get software updates or what? I have couple 100 bucks invested in games but despite hours of searching i just cant seem to find clear info on what happens to them.
i know super noob just want to be very sure before i make that jump

starbury86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys,

I have a new switch with firmware 4.0.1. I did a nand backup,created an emunand within sxos and updated the emunand to firnware 6.1 using choidujournx. The sysnand is still on 4.0.1 and I have 2 sd cards to keep it as clean as possible.

I'm playing my xci and nsp files only on emunand being offline and used the sysnand with the other sd card to play my original copy of Mario Odyssey and Zelda.

Can I update my sysnand after booting it from sxos (to avoid burning fuses) to 6.2 for playing fortnite, accessing the eshop and updating mario/Zelda or will there be a problem with my 6.1 emunand? I read something about problems with sleep mode and also the new security with the 6.2 update so I did not update my sysnand until now.

Thank you very much for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1