SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. blubber

blubber Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    Albania
    Hey, so the first thing I should do is making a Backup of my nand, right? Im currently on 5.1, lets say i make a backup right now and I update to 6.1. Will I still be able to use my Backup if something happens? Or does it matter which FW i had before and now?

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You will be able to restore your backup regardless of whatever firmware you're on, but depending on the fuse count, you may or may not need RCM to boot. For example, if you update to 6.1 and burn fuses when doing so, you will be unable to boot your backup without going into RCM first and using a bootloader that bypasses the fuse check. But if you don't burn fuses when updating, such as with ChoiDujoruNX, then you won't need to enter RCM to load your backup after restoring it.

3. blubber

blubber Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    Albania
    So I just need one Backup and thats it. No need to make another one after I updated the firmware, right? Is it still possible to boot the original FW after i restored Nand or will i have some problems?
    Thanks for the quick help, mate

Last edited by blubber, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:07 PM
  4. zerohealinzz

zerohealinzz GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2018
    Netherlands
    i have an Samsung UE43NU7020 i tried messing with the settings but i got on luck lol.

Thanks for the reply though :)

5. Competitively

Competitively Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2017
    United States
    Is decrypting pre-purchased apps possible? If not, is it ever possible?

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Only if a reviewer dumps the titlekey from their digital copy.

7. Schuartz

Schuartz Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2018
    Brazil
    How do I create subtitles ?

8. phazer

phazer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2006
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Today evening I installed the latest (nightly) build of ReiNX on my Switch (running 6.1) using a 128GB SD Card with exFAT format. Everything works so far as expected. Thanks for the great community support here.

Question: What it the best or recommended method at the moment to create backups of my personal cartridges and how to launch them afterwards? Maybe homebrew tools like 'WAIN Card Dumper NX' or 'gcdumptool' ?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Well you pretty much answered your own question. Those are the only tools to dump retail cartridges with. WAIN got updated to v2.0 while gcdumptool hasn't been updated in a while so maybe go for that one.

10. zerohealinzz

zerohealinzz GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2018
    Netherlands
    What happens if i install the same DLC twice? (nsp). will it take twice the size? or will it overwrite?

11. wakkun

wakkun Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2016
    India
    I recently bought a Switch with firmware 4.0.0 on it from a friend, I want to run homebrew on it and maybe get a cfw for it, where should I start?

12. cyndor

cyndor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/

13. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    Hey so I realized I still have the Nintendo online application on my switch. I was wondering how do I get that to launch without Internet connection and get a bunch of hacked NES roms in the application

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    It'll just overwrite whatever content is installed.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/nes-online-modification-tool.519556/

zerohealinzz likes this.
  15. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    Hello there. I'm actually on 4.1 firmware. Trying to launch Wolfenstein II and Donkey Kong country tropical freeze installed as .nsp, a message saying "a system update is required in order to use this software" appears. Those games should run on 4.0 right? Why it doesn't allow me to launch them?
    Another question: while installing with tinfoil, I choose no to the question asking for upper firmware support, should I select yes instead?
    Thanks

16. LightPam

LightPam Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2018
    Italy
    I am on clean 6.1
    Can i use this guide and all the files in it?
    -backup-restore-your-nand-get-your-biskeys-tseckeys-keys-txt-guide-
    (can't post link)

17. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
  18. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Try selecting yes instead when installing them.
    Firmware doesn't matter; only the serial number does which you can check here.
    https://github.com/XorTroll/ModuleMania/tree/master/xor.play
    Although I myself never used this so I have no idea how to use it.

And for themes, it overrides one of the available ones because we're modding the currently available ones, not injecting our own.

19. mirkots

mirkots Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    United States
    Apologies if I'm overlooking this in guides, but I've been reading for many hours from one site to another and don't feel certain yet I won't mess up things. I've got a Switch on 4.1.0 (older serial) and planned to install Atmosphere. I plan on getting legit games, but love backup loading and homebrew for the ease, portability, and the eventual day games will no longer be in stores and a missed gem's only way to be played is by backup or being extorted on ebay. My online use is very minimal if at all, but I do not wish to end up banned to keep options open. So please correct me if I'm wrong on anything here.

I was picking Atmosphere over ReiNX as it seemed a little easier to install to me (though ReiNX looks cute) and SXOS seems nice and I don't mind paying but I don't see that many advantages over maybe the UI. XCI I still wouldn't trust online and I've found few things in that format but I admit I've not looked that hard yet either, and the emunand doesn't seem complete enough to protect for online either. I know some report it as safe and others don't so I would rather not risk it and that seems its major advantage minus some nicer design choices. And seems I could swap to a different CFW later if needed.

If I ever need online my understanding is that even if I've used NSP files if I stay offline always on CFW I'm fine as long as I completely restore the original NAND and revert everything back to stock before using a physical game copy online or use online in general.

Again apologies for asking things that are likely basic, but so much discussion I've found on these devolves into fanboying a chosen CFW and anecdotal claims that their favorite CFW is bulletproof from being banned.

tl;dr 4.1.0 + Atmosphere good enough for now until a more fully developed homebrew/hack produces a truly safe emunand? And staying offline unless I do a complete NAND restore should protect from bans within reason as there is always a small chance?

20. Madru

Madru Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    Brazil
    I got a nintendo switch with a patched serial, is it worth it to wait, any exploits being developed?, or I just update my switch?