SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ConraDargo

ConraDargo Flashback Fanatic

Dec 29, 2003
    Sweden
    Speaking of owning two units but only hacking one of them: should I sign out of eShop and completely disconnect my Nintendo account from the Switch that I'm currently using and now intend to hack, or does it not matter because if I somehow, someday, do get banned then it will only affect my actual Switch, and not the Nintendo account?

2. mediavieja

mediavieja GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Venezuela
    Tyvm, ill try it today :-)

3. therealhoothoot

therealhoothoot Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2018
    Ireland
    As I'm aware, saves are internally on the storage. Is it okay for me to just delete all my digital games (and physical entries) from my Switch before making a NAND/EMMC backup? If I ever go back to OFW I can just redownload/reinsert these games and the saves should still be there accordingly. Or is it better to just back it up as a whole right now?

And once I've made that backup and put it away somewhere safe, will those files remain when I run CFW? I want to have more internal storage space for NSPs so should I just delete my legit digital games from the system (on CFW, post-backup) or just do it before making a backup?

4. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    I’m using CFW and have had the system in airplane mode since the first day of using it.

Now that YouTube is out, is it possible to go online to use YouTube while also blocking all contact with Nintendo to avoid a ban?

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Unlinking the NANDs is basically keeping track of 2 different Nintendo folders, one for EmuNAND and one for SysNAND. This is because the Nintendo folder houses all installed content (but not saves) which includes games, updates, and DLC.
    You actually have more to lose by unlinking the account than keeping it linked. For one, certain games require a linked account or they refuse to launch such as the NES app or Pianista. Secondly, you cannot link an account after being banned so if you don't have one linked but your console gets banned, it is now impossible for you to use such applications on the banned console. Lastly, bans primarily affect consoles not accounts; so long as the console isn't hacked, it should not be affected by any consoles who are hacked/banned and associated with it.
    Either or. The choice is entirely up to you. Just know that any installed content will make the NAND backup larger if you compress it afterwards using something like Winrar or 7zip.

CFW and OFW use the same system storage so anything in OFW will persist in CFW; the only way to separate these is by using EmuNAND but its only been implemented in SX OS and is not the EmuNAND solution implemented in the past. If you want to make more room for CFW/homebrew, you would have to remove/backup anything you have in advance.
    According to a person who uses 90DNS, they cannot use the app which means using it involves connecting to Nintendo's servers so its still not safe nor will it ever be safe to use anything online with CFW.

Spadezilla and ConraDargo like this.
  6. therealhoothoot

therealhoothoot Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2018
    Ireland
    Thanks, I'll just go ahead and delete them beforehand as I won't be playing the same games afterwards.

Is it possible to do all the initial preparation on a Windows 7 PC or do I need to have Windows 10? (drivers, compatibility)
    I have an old Win7 laptop but might do a dual-boot if Win10 is necessary for TegraRMCGui and others. I'm on Mac but I'm not very confident of getting the best result on it.

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Windows 7, 8, and 10 are supported. Don't know about older versions on the other hand.

8. therealhoothoot

therealhoothoot Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2018
    Ireland
    That's great to hear, one more question so I don't bother you anymore. When doing the initial payload to boot Hekate and make my NAND/EMMC backup, do I do that solely with PC - (USB-C to USB cable) -> Switch or can I use my SX Pro payload dongle? I know it's used for SX OS after CFW, but I was wondering if the payload on the dongle will work for pre-SX OS purposes

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Either or. You can send Hekate directly or chainload it from the SX OS menu after putting it on your SD card.

10. Makoto0729

Makoto0729 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    I'm running ReiNX and used ZeroTwoXCI to install my personal cart dumps from WAIN to my Switch. They look fine on the menu but when I click them I get error code 2002-0001 and they won't boot. I know ReiNX doesn't support running XCIs directly but I was under the impression it would run them if installed like NSPs. Is that not the case? And if not, is there a way to get them to run?

Edit: It's actually not booting any games whatsoever. Not my XCIs, not my carts (in the slot) and not anything pirated. Nothing.

Last edited by Makoto0729, Nov 8, 2018 - Reason: Additional info
  11. BoomtownBilly

BoomtownBilly GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2008
    So I would like to play backups on my switch I am hella confused what I need to do! What do I need custom firmware? Is it still sxos? Is there a nice step by step guide like there was for the 3ds hack? Many ultimate thanks dudes I’m so oldddddddddddddddd now.

12. anothertemper

anothertemper Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    This is a pretty darn good place to start: https://guide.sdsetup.com/

13. radxink

radxink Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2017
    United States
    So. Curious. 1. I thought of this just as my switch battery was gonna go dead, (so i couldnt check) but does the switch support proxies? And if so, couldn’t we use a proxy to block all known nintendo sites? I assume this has been tried? And can you do local lan play without it connecting to nintendo?

Would a not connected to the internet 2nd wifi router work for local lan play?

Thx!!

Last edited by radxink, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:39 AM
  14. OggieBoogie

OggieBoogie Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2018
    Israel
    im using xci games. can i update them or will it create a problem?
    should i try and update in stock os and not sx?(to try and avoid ban)

15. therealhoothoot

therealhoothoot Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2018
    Ireland
    Will I be burning fuses if I update my OFW from 6.0.1 to 6.1.0? I need to access the eShop to make some last-minute purchases on Minecraft so I can get rid of my remaining balance, but it needs an update to get in. eShop in-game purchases cannot be done from desktop unfortunately.

Any advice?

16. cyndor

cyndor Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

https://gbatemp.net/threads/90dns-dns-server-for-blocking-all-nintendo-servers.516234/

You can use .nsp to update them or risk updating them by going online.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/does-6-1-burn-fuses.522089/

Last edited by cyndor, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM
  17. therealhoothoot

therealhoothoot Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2018
    Ireland
    I read that, conclusion is that it generally doesn't burn fuses if the count of fuses has already been reached. Otherwise it will burn the fuses until that number. Now I'm not sure how I can determine whether it has already done so or not?

6.1.0 on SX OS 2.2.1 Beta is working properly nowadays? I kept hearing from some people that there were some issues so as not to update so soon.

Just want to know if updating this minor version is going to bite me in the ass later.

18. OggieBoogie

OggieBoogie Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2018
    Israel
  19. zerohealinzz

zerohealinzz GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2018
    Netherlands
    I might be paranoid lol but is it normal the buttons dont scale very well in the sx os menu? on a 43 inch tv?) https://imgur.com/a/9e446O2

And on default settings (16:9) my switch goes outside the border of my screen, should i edit the tv settings or is it better to use the switch scaling feature in the settings?

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Have no idea how updating a .XCI file would delete save data. Also, I don't see how you need a tutorial on updating games. Either download the update from your computer, probably in the same place where you got the .XCI, and install it using a title installer such as Rommenu, DevMenu, or Tinfoil or you just update the game online.
    This is most likely not a Switch thing but something related to your TV which can vary depending on whatever brand you got and settings.