Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I screwed up a little bit. I had on old emummc install that I couldn't get working quite right even after updating atmosphere, hekate, sigpatches etc. So I made a fresh install and offline updated it from 2.30 to 15.0.1. And THEN I realized that I had updated FSS0 SYS instead of emummc (I'm almost sure that the hekate.ini I downloaded from the NH Switch Guide was the culprit - when I went to download it again for a reinstall, it was back to its usual - see attached image for a comparison of the two files downloaded less than half an hour apart).

I've since redone the install and everything is working perfectly. But now I want to understand what I did. I don't get what FSS0 SYS is compared to stock SYS. Since I've apparently updated my Switch nand, now I just want to make sure, that It is clean to go online so I can buy and use online games on the stock nand (which has never been dirtied before) and keep emummc for everything else. Thanks.View attachment 354831
The only difference between these two configs is the one on the right has an additional config for Emunand (emuMMC). You would not have increased your risk any higher.

The only difference between Stock SYS and FSS0 SYS is the kip1 line.

https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate#boot-entry-keyvalue-combinations

kip1={FILE path}Replaces/Adds kernel initial process. Multiple can be set.
kip1={FOLDER path}/*Loads every .kip/.kip1 inside a folder. Compatible with single kip1 keys.

Unless you’ve added nefarious kips to your kernel you will be fine.

dehydrated_lemur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question. I am trying to figure out how to "reset" my chip. I know on some revisions there are 2 pads on it and you simply bridge them. My chip doesn't appear to have those pads. Atleast not in the same location. Is there another way to reset it? I'm using the V5 chip in a V2 switch. When I boot without an SD card I get the drumpy boot.dat? logo if that helps at all.

Picture attached of back of chip.
b4a5c82356e5c5378f85c0d2a0049bad.jpg

Temaps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
What are the best emulators for the switch ? I've come across multiple "fights" where people would say that retroarch is the best and other people would say it is better to instead take the best emulator and not rely on retroarch so as to be able to choose the one with the most compatibility.
I also read (few days ago) a website saying something (sorry this is vague in my brain) about the fact that retroarch should not be started from... main menu or homebrew launcher (don't remember) or it would crash (found quite the same information in https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-switch.492920/ section Disclamers point 3).
I have not investigated yet what is "tile redirection" and if it is still necessary as this seems to be linked to a full memory access that is now performed by simply holding R button on the switch while launching retroarch ?

What I have found so far :
As I'd like to play my ds games (a bit afraid about compatibility of games that requires touchscreen...) it seems that Retroarch will be the good choice as it would even include "cores" to play other retro games such as N64 etc... ?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question. I am trying to figure out how to "reset" my chip. I know on some revisions there are 2 pads on it and you simply bridge them. My chip doesn't appear to have those pads. Atleast not in the same location. Is there another way to reset it? I'm using the V5 chip in a V2 switch. When I boot without an SD card I get the drumpy boot.dat? logo if that helps at all.

Picture attached of back of chip.

I’ve not encountered this yet.

You can reset it by booting hwflyNX-toolbox.bin located here:

https://github.com/hwfly-nx/hwfly-toolbox

Here are some wild “out there” suggestions:

1) put a jig in the right joycon?
2) leave it powered on until the battery drains.

If you’ve bricked it, check out sthetix here:

https://www.sthetix.info/flashing-updating-unbricking-the-chip/

dehydrated_lemur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks I didn't brick it but I'm reading I might need to reset it after taking the new update? Not sure.

Also so that means if my battery ever dies on me the chip will reset?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
What are the best emulators for the switch ? I've come across multiple "fights" where people would say that retroarch is the best and other people would say it is better to instead take the best emulator and not rely on retroarch so as to be able to choose the one with the most compatibility.
I also read (few days ago) a website saying something (sorry this is vague in my brain) about the fact that retroarch should not be started from... main menu or homebrew launcher (don't remember) or it would crash (found quite the same information in https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-switch.492920/ section Disclamers point 3).
I have not investigated yet what is "tile redirection" and if it is still necessary as this seems to be linked to a full memory access that is now performed by simply holding R button on the switch while launching retroarch ?

What I have found so far :
As I'd like to play my ds games (a bit afraid about compatibility of games that requires touchscreen...) it seems that Retroarch will be the good choice as it would even include "cores" to play other retro games such as N64 etc... ?
High level, Retroarch is a good starting point for just about everything. It’s a great generalist and will work great for playing DS games. There are cases such as ppsspp where the standalone performs better for some games so purists will argue this is a case for using standalone only. Standalone can also be a little bit easier to configure as the Retroarch ecosystem can be daunting. IMO you should bite the bullet and install Retroarch and it will serve most of your retro gaming needs. If you run into an edge case situation where a game you really want to play isn’t working, try the standalone and see if it works any better. There‘s nothing that says you can’t run both!

Title override is holding down R while launching an official game. This will launch home brew menu in full memory mode at which point you can launch the Retroarch nro inside its menu system. Using a Retroarch forwarder has the same effect since it is launched “as a title” with full memory available.

Thanks I didn't brick it but I'm reading I might need to reset it after taking the new update? Not sure.
You mean the new Ninty 16.0.0 firmware? If so, the current Atmosphere will not work. We are all waiting for the new release be we can upgrade.
Also so that means if my battery ever dies on me the chip will reset?
It might have to retrain after completely losing battery. It shouldn’t impact anything though if it does. I keep mine on a charger so I haven’t seen this in action yet.

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: Temaps

dehydrated_lemur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I mean the new 16 update. I was told that after taking the update and updating atmosphere we need to reset the hwfly also. I did not update. I'm in no rush.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I mean the new 16 update. I was told that after taking the update and updating atmosphere we need to reset the hwfly also. I did not update. I'm in no rush.
Everything is hypothetical until we get the release in hand. Should be F.U.n.

Reactions: dehydrated_lemur

wikisa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've received switch with the hwfly, I followed up rentry guide and now I've succesfully booted to the atmoshpere. I've created emuNand and updated OS it to the newest possible version for current atmosphere - 15.0.1. But can I also update OFW on sysnand to 16.0? Those are on separate storages, so there shouldn't be any issue to have atmosphere with 15.0.1 on emuNand and 16.0 on sysnand, right? :)
Post automatically merged:

I've received switch with the hwfly, I followed up rentry guide and now I've succesfully booted to the atmoshpere. I've created emuNand and updated OS it to the newest possible version for current atmosphere - 15.0.1. But can I also update OFW on sysnand to 16.0? Those are on separate storages, so there shouldn't be any issue to have atmosphere with 15.0.1 on emuNand and 16.0 on sysnand, right? :)

Also, can I increase somehow the dead zone for left analog stick? I've noticed that even if I'm not touching it the cursor is just going down in Hekate, so probably I've got analog drifting.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Post automatically merged:

Also, can I increase somehow the dead zone for left analog stick? I've noticed that even if I'm not touching it the cursor is just going down in Hekate, so probably I've got analog drifting.
Do not upgrade to 16.0.0 on your CFW. Upgrading on OFW is fine but not required…there are no games that require it today.

You are describing drift. You should replace your joysticks or try the paper trick.

wikisa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do not upgrade to 16.0.0 on your CFW. Upgrading on OFW is fine but not required…there are no games that require it today.

You are describing drift. You should replace your joysticks or try the paper trick.
Probably I described a drift, but in the "Calibrate control sticks" screen, and in games the joysticks works perfectly, only in hekate the cursor is going slightly down, so my bet was that in the HOS there is larger dead zone and in Hekate there is less dead zone. So there aren't magic setting in hekate that will increase the dead zone in it?

// edited: Okay, I've probably found it at the github issue of hekate (cannot post the links but the issue #411 in github). I'll try that

Last edited by wikisa,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably I described a drift, but in the "Calibrate control sticks" screen, and in games the joysticks works perfectly, only in hekate the cursor is going slightly down, so my bet was that in the HOS there is larger dead zone and in Hekate there is less dead zone. So there aren't magic setting in hekate that will increase the dead zone in it?

// edited: Okay, I've probably found it at the github issue of hekate (cannot post the links but the issue #411 in github). I'll try that
Oh neat! Wasn’t even aware of this. Great find!

for those that are curious:

https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/issues/411

The dead zone in hekate is that simple thing

jc_drv_ctx.cx_max = jc_pad->lstick_x + 0x72;
jc_drv_ctx.cx_min = jc_pad->lstick_x - 0x72;
jc_drv_ctx.cy_max = jc_pad->lstick_y + 0x72;
jc_drv_ctx.cy_min = jc_pad->lstick_y - 0x72;
A 114 (0x72) units buffer.

wikisa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
hmmm, after upgrading OFW to 16.0 and when I'm trying to boot atmosphere on CFW with 15.0.1 I've got:

A fatal error occurred when running Fusee.
Failed to locate warmboot firmware!

I initialy thought that SD card gets formated after update, but when I view in on pc:

1677086891380.png

So I bet emunand is on 29,16GB partition and it is should be there on 15.0.1 (I updated on OFW to 16.0). Am I missing something?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm, after upgrading OFW to 16.0 and when I'm trying to boot atmosphere on CFW with 15.0.1 I've got:

A fatal error occurred when running Fusee.
Failed to locate warmboot firmware!

I initialy thought that SD card gets formated after update, but when I view in on pc:

View attachment 354873

So I bet emunand is on 29,16GB partition and it is should be there on 15.0.1 (I updated on OFW to 16.0). Am I missing something?
yes, the 29.16GB is absolutely the Emunand and it does not get touched during an OFW update.

Are you on a V1 or a V2?

You can still boot OFW, correct?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, I can still boot into OFW, i'm on switch lite with hwfly
I upgraded my V1 and have no issues getting into CFW. Let me do my V2. I‘m guessing it’s trying to interact with boot 0/1. We might be stuck waiting on the Atmosphere/Hekate upgrade on V2. Give me a second.

my V1 can not boot into OFW anymore. Ungh.

image.jpg

Waiting for my V2 to finish updating Fortnite and then I’ll try that one too. Might not be able to go Online for a bit until the new Atmosphere is released. Good times.

TheJinKazama

Trophies
XP
Country

I’m a confused n00b… I asked about updating stock and CFW last night and someone suggested not updating at all.

I play online and offline cartridge games on stock and offline SD backups on CFW. This is a V1 Switch which I use an RCM jig with.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m a confused n00b… I asked about updating stock and CFW last night and someone suggested not updating at all.

I play online and offline cartridge games on stock and offline SD backups on CFW. This is a V1 Switch which I use an RCM jig with.

There is no CFW for firmware 16.0.0 at the moment, that why it is recommend to update if you are 15.0.1.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I upgraded my V2 and after a short bout of my glitch taking a reaaaaallly long time to do it's thing (HWFLY V5)

This is what I got while booting with the payload=/bootloader/payloads/fusee.bin option:

image.jpg
hitting power to reboot ends with me having to hold the power button for 12 seconds to reboot. :-(

So we’re done here, huh? Not so fast!

This is what I got while booting with the fss0=/atmosphere/package3 option:

image.jpg

hitting VOL just gives me this:

image.jpg

that‘s no good…

but

let’s try the power button to continue next time…

1677096501514.jpeg

oh? What’s this?

image.jpg

Wahoooo!

so that’s the workaround, folks…

check my dns:mitm:

image.jpg

shields are up!

How about serial number blanking with exosphere.ini?

ADCF3B0A-3565-4360-9018-0C02EF6D8014.jpeg

looking good!

games still boot up and are playable…

image.jpg

I feel like a winner!

The only issue I’ve found thus far is that when it goes to sleep…it doesn’t wake back up properly and you have to hold the power button for 12 seconds to hard reset. :-(

Here’s the stanza in my V2’s /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini file that worked for me:

[Atmosphere fss0]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
emummcforce=1
kip1=atmosphere/kips/loader.kip
kip1patch=nosigchk
kip1=atmosphere/kip_patches/*
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp

note: if you get an error about kips make sure you have the latest Sigpatches installed:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/
(thanks @wikisa for this fix)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1