XP
Country
United States

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any concerns with using a microsdxc card? I'm on 4.1 and in particular was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr...R-256G-GN6MA/dp/B0758NHWS8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Right now I'm just using retail carts but in the future if I wanted to rip those to this card, along with video files and roms, would this card be ok? I remember reading concerns about an SDXC update.
That one is fine. The upper limit for what the Switch supports is not available commercially anyways.

ale_che

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've recently received a SX Pro from a friend who bought it but didn't want to use it anymore because he plays a lot online. I've been looking into it for the past few days and I just want someone else's opinion.
I dislike playing online so I don't mind completely disconnecting from the internet (I've only ever gone online to trade in pokemon, and even then only briefly). My switch is on 4.1.0. While I don't care about the online ban, I want to avoid it as I don't know if nintendo can ban firmware updates in the future. From what I can tell, I should back up my NAND with hekate. Do I do that before plugging in the SX Pro? Do I have to get something else to send the payload?
Once I use the SX Pro, how safe is it to connect to the internet to update firmware? Does updating the firmware without burning fuses increase the chance of a ban?

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before. Thank you for your time! :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've recently received a SX Pro from a friend who bought it but didn't want to use it anymore because he plays a lot online. I've been looking into it for the past few days and I just want someone else's opinion.
I dislike playing online so I don't mind completely disconnecting from the internet (I've only ever gone online to trade in pokemon, and even then only briefly). My switch is on 4.1.0. While I don't care about the online ban, I want to avoid it as I don't know if nintendo can ban firmware updates in the future. From what I can tell, I should back up my NAND with hekate. Do I do that before plugging in the SX Pro? Do I have to get something else to send the payload?
Once I use the SX Pro, how safe is it to connect to the internet to update firmware? Does updating the firmware without burning fuses increase the chance of a ban?

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before. Thank you for your time! :)
Nintendo cannot remove firmware updates as these are a type of gratuity that comes when you purchase the console. Online play and eShop access are not part of the console or required to enjoy it so these are removed during a ban (simplifying matters, but it gets the point across). Now lets move onto banning.

A general rule of thumb is that going online with a modded console can lead to a ban. The only issues are we don't know when or if it will happen. So far, the safest thing you can do is to make a backup of your NAND prior to performing any hacks and restoring it prior to going online. This means you would do the backup BEFORE plugging in the SX Pro. Backup your NAND with this tool in case you weren't aware. The problem is this is not an effective long term solution as like everything else in life, nothing lasts forever. Eventually, your Switch will unable to accept any more NAND restorations so this method of preventing a ban won't last indefinitely. The alternative is to wait until EmuNAND is released and perform all of your hacking offline in EmuNAND while keeping SysNAND online, free from hacks. There is no estimated release date for EmuNAND so weigh how long you can wait with what you want to accomplish with your console.

Lastly, we move onto actions that can lead to bans. As stated earlier, any online connection with a hacked console may lead to a ban. Generally, the more hacking-related the action is, the more chances it can cause a ban. Updating your firmware is relatively safe and can still be performed despite being banned. However, it still gives Nintendo a chance to ban you so exercise caution. Updating firmware without burning the fuses has so far shown no positive correlation towards getting banned, but that does not mean we can rest on our laurels. What is considered safe today can lead to someone being banned tomorrow. Here, weigh the risks of certain actions that can lead to a ban with what you want to achieve with your Switch.

Reactions: 01asada

ale_che

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo cannot remove firmware updates as these are a type of gratuity that comes when you purchase the console. Online play and eShop access are not part of the console or required to enjoy it so these are removed during a ban (simplifying matters, but it gets the point across). Now lets move onto banning.

A general rule of thumb is that going online with a modded console can lead to a ban. The only issues are we don't know when or if it will happen. So far, the safest thing you can do is to make a backup of your NAND prior to performing any hacks and restoring it prior to going online. This means you would do the backup BEFORE plugging in the SX Pro. Backup your NAND with this tool in case you weren't aware. The problem is this is not an effective long term solution as like everything else in life, nothing lasts forever. Eventually, your Switch will unable to accept any more NAND restorations so this method of preventing a ban won't last indefinitely. The alternative is to wait until EmuNAND is released and perform all of your hacking offline in EmuNAND while keeping SysNAND online, free from hacks. There is no estimated release date for EmuNAND so weigh how long you can wait with what you want to accomplish with your console.

Lastly, we move onto actions that can lead to bans. As stated earlier, any online connection with a hacked console may lead to a ban. Generally, the more hacking-related the action is, the more chances it can cause a ban. Updating your firmware is relatively safe and can still be performed despite being banned. However, it still gives Nintendo a chance to ban you so exercise caution. Updating firmware without burning the fuses has so far shown no positive correlation towards getting banned, but that does not mean we can rest on our laurels. What is considered safe today can lead to someone being banned tomorrow. Here, weigh the risks of certain actions that can lead to a ban with what you want to achieve with your Switch.

Thank you for this quick and very informative reply! I'm glad to hear that nintendo cannot remove firmware updates as I was really worried about getting locked into a lower firmware. How would I back up the switch before using SX Pro? Do I need to buy another jig to boot into RCM?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this quick and very informative reply! I'm glad to hear that nintendo cannot remove firmware updates as I was really worried about getting locked into a lower firmware. How would I back up the switch before using SX Pro? Do I need to buy another jig to boot into RCM?
This is where the problem comes in. While SX Pro has a way to boot into Hekate, it involves going through SX OS first which may be an additional risk factor towards getting banned. Its better to get to the NAND backup up portion in as few steps as possible. That being said, you can still use the jig that comes with SX Pro to boot into RCM as so far, methods to induce RCM has so far not shown to favor one or another in terms of bans. But in order to avoid using the dongle, we will need another way to send the payload. Simplest way is with a USB-C cable and a device that can send payloads. I will post 2 examples here but there are other devices that are supported but not listed here (e.g. Mac, Linux, iOS)
Windows: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tegrarcmsmash-a-fusee-launcher-for-windows.502334/
Android: https://github.com/DavidBuchanan314/NXLoader

ale_che

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is where the problem comes in. While SX Pro has a way to boot into Hekate, it involves going through SX OS first which may be an additional risk factor towards getting banned. Its better to get to the NAND backup up portion in as few steps as possible. That being said, you can still use the jig that comes with SX Pro to boot into RCM as so far, methods to induce RCM has so far not shown to favor one or another in terms of bans. But in order to avoid using the dongle, we will need another way to send the payload. Simplest way is with a USB-C cable and a device that can send payloads. I will post 2 examples here but there are other devices that are supported but not listed here (e.g. Mac, Linux, iOS)

Thank you! I'm going to purchase a USB C cable and back up my NAND before I do anything else. You've been so helpful, thank you again for all this :)

Reactions: Draxzelex

sirelf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Draxzelex, I feel like a total idiot, after reading your detailed replies to other forum users I am convinced that I put my put my switch into autorcm, then when I finished charging with the sx os running I though I powered it off but it was most likely still on if I had been a gbatemp user already I could have tried to send a payload via my pc. I am still puzzled why I couldn’t get the system to boot up using my Pro dongle. I have read some conflicting instructions, when using the jig and the dongle ,or the jig and my PC do I hold down the volume up and hold down the power button? Or do I hold down the volume up and just press the power button once ie tap it? I have a new switch on order, since I assume the Nintendo repair shop will update something, that will make it unable to be hacked I hope they just send it back in a playable form. But from some forum post I have read elsewhere I suspect I will get a very expensive paper weight back. Draxzelex I think you are a Switch SME and I hope gbatemp appreciates the fact you help all us noobs. Have a awesome night

Reactions: Draxzelex

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Draxzelex, I feel like a total idiot, after reading your detailed replies to other forum users I am convinced that I put my put my switch into autorcm, then when I finished charging with the sx os running I though I powered it off but it was most likely still on if I had been a gbatemp user already I could have tried to send a payload via my pc. I am still puzzled why I couldn’t get the system to boot up using my Pro dongle. I have read some conflicting instructions, when using the jig and the dongle ,or the jig and my PC do I hold down the volume up and hold down the power button? Or do I hold down the volume up and just press the power button once ie tap it? I have a new switch on order, since I assume the Nintendo repair shop will update something, that will make it unable to be hacked I hope they just send it back in a playable form. But from some forum post I have read elsewhere I suspect I will get a very expensive paper weight back. Draxzelex I think you are a Switch SME and I hope gbatemp appreciates the fact you help all us noobs. Have a awesome night
Turns out if the Switch is dead with AutoRCM installed, the dongle actually won't work until the Switch has accrued enough charge (oh, TX...). AutoRCM also just means the Switch won't charge as fast when in RCM so when the battery IS fully drained, it will take a while for it to have any semblance of life. In terms of booting into RCM, the jig must be inserted (shorts pin 10) and you have to hold volume + (anyone who says volume - is lying or was holding down both buttons). You actually don't have to hold power to boot into RCM but it makes it easier on your fingers to hold down both power and volume + rather than let go of only power after you press it while still holding down volume +. Once in RCM, if the dongle is already inserted and the console has enough battery, it will auto boot into CFW (unless you press volume - to boot into the SX OS menu). Otherwise, you can connect your Switch to something that can send payloads via USB cable. This is how you would deal with a dead Switch in my opinion, but the dongle can work (but again, only if the console has enough charge).

Also, don't let my detailed posts fool you. I'm a noob like the rest of you:ninja: (I didn't know what SME meant either, learn something new everyday)

Last edited by Draxzelex,

WeiKee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi All,

I got my switch last Sunday, i need to test my unit XAJ7003xxx, if Fusée Gelée still working. Any real dummy step by step site i can refer too. Thanks.
<earlier ask this question on a wrong thread>

Also any specific cable you all used? My notebook failed to detect the switch when plug in, i was using a newly purchased USB-C to USB-A. When put the switch into docking station, my hdmi work, that i assume my Switch usb port are ok and is cable faulty.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

I got my switch last Sunday, i need to test my unit XAJ7003xxx, if Fusée Gelée still working. Any real dummy step by step site i can refer too. Thanks.
<earlier ask this question on a wrong thread>

Also any specific cable you all used? My notebook failed to detect the switch when plug in, i was using a newly purchased USB-C to USB-A. When put the switch into docking station, my hdmi work, that i assume my Switch usb port are ok and is cable faulty.
Spoiler Alert: Your Switch is not patched. But if you want to see the proof, follow this guide as it details how to load the exploit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/

As for cables, this is what I personally use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8GU544/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The reason your notebook might have failed to detect the Switch is due to not having the supported drivers (should be installed when the Switch is in RCM, but I've had the issue where it doesn't and the only fix was by plugging it out and back in multiple times)

Reactions: WeiKee

WeiKee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Spoiler Alert: Your Switch is not patched.

The reason your notebook might have failed to detect the Switch is due to not having the supported drivers (should be installed when the Switch is in RCM, but I've had the issue where it doesn't and the only fix was by plugging it out and back in multiple times)

Thank you for the info.

CreatoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

Can someone explain in a few words why it is the TX SX Pro Dongle have two capacitors? And what happens when they run out of power?

Derpster25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi question. If im on sxos and i own an actual copy of mario Odyssey can i go online for balloon world or should i boot into stock FW to avoid a ban

murpcsm48

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to post this:

Thanks everyone for your help that answered my questions regarding backing up my Nand.

I was able to restore my Nand from Hekate v3.1 - I had all three files boot0, boot1, rawnand.bin.

I used Samsung MicroSD Ultra Plus 256gb when I backed it up and when I restored it. No issues and got to work first time.

I then was able to initialize the Switch online to remove the fake Nintendo account.

I was also able to go online to the eShop as well as update a real cart game online with no issues.

I am going to sell it as I have two other ones. My son has one and I have a new one I just purchased with 4.1 on it and do not want to hack it until further hacking development is released such as Atmosphere and EmuNand.

Link to Samsung MicroSD card.
https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...-w--adapter-256gb--2017-model--mb-mc256ga-am/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Another nob question, what do user mean when they said "BURN YOUR FUSES" in the switch.

The fuses are blown to prevent downgrades after you update your Firmware.

Not all firmware that is released by Nintendo may blow a fuse as it is used upon their discretion.

Link to fuse section Anti-Downgrade: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses

Anti-downgrade
The first bootloader verifies FUSE_RESERVED_ODM7 to prevent downgrading. How many fuses are expected to be burnt depends the device's unit type as below.

If too many fuses are burnt the bootloader will panic immediately.

If too few are burnt, the bootloader will enable fuse programming and write the expected value to fuse indexes 0x3A and 0x3C. Afterwards, fuse programming is disabled and the panic value 0x21 is written to PMC_SCRATCH200 register (0x7000EC40). Finally, the watchdog timer is initialized and programmed to force a reset.

On a subsequent boot, after the anti-downgrade fuses are checked again, the PMC_RST_STATUS register (0x7000E5B4) is checked and if set to 0x01 (watchdog reset) the PMC_SCRATCH200 register (0x7000EC40) will be checked for the panic value 0x21. PMC_RST_STATUS will only be set back to 0 (power on reset) if the fuse count matches the new expected value, otherwise the system will panic.

Hi question. If im on sxos and i own an actual copy of mario Odyssey can i go online for balloon world or should i boot into stock FW to avoid a ban

Any downloading of updates or DLC after you have run SX OS is a risk going online especially if you have used LayeredFS even in offline mode only.

You can get updates of games offline now - read up on this CDNSP.

Attachments

• Fuses.PNG
    Fuses.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by murpcsm48,
Reactions: WeiKee

Derpster25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just wanted to post this:

Thanks everyone for your help that answered my questions regarding backing up my Nand.

I was able to restore my Nand from Hekate v3.1 - I had all three files boot0, boot1, rawnand.bin.

I used Samsung MicroSD Ultra Plus 256gb when I backed it up and when I restored it. No issues and got to work first time.

I then was able to initialize the Switch online to remove the fake Nintendo account.

I was also able to go online to the eShop as well as update a real cart game online with no issues.

I am going to sell it as I have two other ones. My son has one and I have a new one I just purchased with 4.1 on it and do not want to hack it until further hacking development is released such as Atmosphere and EmuNand.

Link to Samsung MicroSD card.
https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...-w--adapter-256gb--2017-model--mb-mc256ga-am/

The fuses are blown to prevent downgrades after you update your Firmware.

Not all firmware that is released by Nintendo may blow a fuse as it is used upon their discretion.

Link to fuse section Anti-Downgrade: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses

Anti-downgrade
The first bootloader verifies FUSE_RESERVED_ODM7 to prevent downgrading. How many fuses are expected to be burnt depends the device's unit type as below.

System version Expected number of burnt fuses (retail) Expected number of burnt fuses (non-retail)
1.0.0 1 0
2.0.0-2.3.0 2 0
3.0.0 3 1
3.0.1-3.0.2 4 1
4.0.0-4.1.0 5 1
5.0.0 6 1

If too many fuses are burnt the bootloader will panic immediately.

If too few are burnt, the bootloader will enable fuse programming and write the expected value to fuse indexes 0x3A and 0x3C. Afterwards, fuse programming is disabled and the panic value 0x21 is written to PMC_SCRATCH200 register (0x7000EC40). Finally, the watchdog timer is initialized and programmed to force a reset.

On a subsequent boot, after the anti-downgrade fuses are checked again, the PMC_RST_STATUS register (0x7000E5B4) is checked and if set to 0x01 (watchdog reset) the PMC_SCRATCH200 register (0x7000EC40) will be checked for the panic value 0x21. PMC_RST_STATUS will only be set back to 0 (power on reset) if the fuse count matches the new expected value, otherwise the system will panic.

Any downloading of updates or DLC after you have run SX OS is a risk going online especially if you have used LayeredFS even in offline mode only.

You can get updates of games offline now - read up on this CDNSP.
So if i wanted to play an online game that i actually purchased there will always be a risk no matter what?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.