Switch emulator Yuzu can now play Super Mario Odyssey from start to finish in latest build

BUSRGgt.jpg

Though the Nintendo Switch isn't even two years old yet, there are already two major Switch emulators currently available to use: Yuzu, and Ryujinx. The former, Yuzu, recently received an updated nightly version on October 31st, which was the culmination of the team's efforts to improve compatibility with more Switch games--specifically one of the system's most known exclusives: Super Mario Odyssey. As of the newer builds, those who emulate Odyssey through Yuzu and have a beefy enough computer can fully play through the entire game from beginning to end. This marks a major milestone for this emulator, which only just had its first games even booting a mere seven months ago, showing rapid progress in its development. However, despite the game being "fully playable", there are a few bugs to iron out, such as slowdown in certain areas, and the existence of multiple graphical issues, but for players determined enough, it is entirely possible to have a full experience.

:download: You can grab the latest version of the emulator by clicking here

:arrow: Source: Yuzu Twitter
:arrow: Source: Gameplay from BSoD Gaming

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a 4670k @4ghz, I have yet to try this emulator and will probably wait a while longer for more fixes and improvements. The performance shown in the video is still too poor for what I consider an enjoyable experience, and I expect my own performance to be quite a bit worse (my CPU is older and slower than his).

mmh mmh, thanks
but, is CPU used that much? because mine is very outdated (2nd gen)
RAM I'm fine
As for GPU, I guess I'm fine with GTX 1060 6GB, right?
In pretty much all other emulators, CPU is probably the most important hardware component to getting good performance. I'm assuming the same is true of Yuzu here.

I assume you have Sandy Bridge? You can test it yourself, but I think you can at least expect worse performance than what is demonstrated in the video, probably a lot worse. This guy basically has an ideal CPU for this sort of thing. New and with a high clock speed. Intel chips have received major boosts to single threaded performance since Sandy Bridge.

But I also expect performance to increase as the emulator matures. I assume there are still optimizations that can be made, but I also believe Yuzu only utilizes one CPU core at the moment. Adding multi core support should be possible (the Switch itself uses an 8-core CPU), it seems likely it will happen at some point in the future. That should provide a substantial speed boost. I'm not sure if you will ever be able to achieve full speed. Or even if I will for that matter. But I at least feel confident that it will get better as things improve.

Last edited by granville,
Reactions: THYPLEX

TR_mahmutpek

medic
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I have a switch but its good to be there emulators! But if I can buy these pc specs for emulation (8700k, gtx 1080 ti..) Why I bought a switch?!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yuzu is making some really quick progress. I'm surprised it runs as well as it does, considering it has to emulate a powerful system. But it still has a ways to go to run games fullspeed without frequent slowdowns, which to me is a requirement, as otherwise the sound is all messed up.

Reactions: THYPLEX

hamohamo

Trophies
XP
Country
Can Yuzu also emulate RetroArch PsX/N64 full speed?:lol:
is this supposed to be an arguement ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ok... what about the fps?
is it decent?
if so, what are the specs it was tested on?
any gpu that can play gta 5 at 1080p on normal can handle it but for a playable framerate you need a 6th gen i5 or better which is still incredibly impressive considering how new it is

Reactions: Noctosphere

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok... what about the fps?
is it decent?
if so, what are the specs it was tested on?
It's not 60fps ever afaik (and in my own testing) but it's playable.
Not sure what the specs of the pc they used was but mine are:
8700K CPU
16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM
GTX 1080 TI GPU

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have you seen the "prerequisites" for this emulator?

https://yuzu-emu.org/help/quickstart/

You need 8 different things (along with a Switch). This is ridiculous.

For other emulators you used to only use a bios file.

It's still in alpha, I wouldn't treat those as the final requirements for the emulator.
Also most of those things are tools used to hack the switch so it's more like 3 prerequisites.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
that's it game over no point it even owning a switch now. you failed again nintendo congratulations the switch has achieved wii hack level :creep:
You know... the switch is a handheld. It still is far more compact than the vast majority of PCs and actually meant to be played on the go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2