Yuzu Switch emulator gets new Linux installer

dsaddsa.png

When using the Nintendo Switch emulator Yuzu, Windows users get to benefit from an installer for the program that grabs the latest early access builds (for Patreon supporters) and updates to the mainline build automatically. Linux users haven't had access to those same features, instead needing to manually install, or go through FlatHub when supported. As of today, however, the Yuzu team is bringing some parity over for their Linux userbase. The Yuzu Linux installer can check for updates, and grab them when available, making things easier for Linux users.

When we originally released our installer, our user base was predominantly composed of Windows users. Although a weak excuse, that’s why the installer’s Linux compatibility wasn’t a priority for us then.

But, over the years we’ve seen consistent growth in the number of our Linux users and realized that we had to ensure that they reaped the benefits of the installer too. We’re so happy our Linux community continues to expand and support us.

:arrow: Source

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my understanding, LINUX is much better than Microsoft Windows, correct ?

And I was told that install app and etc for LINUX isn't friendly like Microsoft Windows if you are noob, correct ?

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

And I was told that install app and etc for LINUX isn't friendly like Microsoft Windows if you are noob, correct ?
It depends, really. There's about a trillion different Linux versions--some you have to command line every little thing, others are just Windows/MacOS in a different flavor. My parents use a laptop with Linux Mint on it, and they're both so technologically inept, but it still works perfect for them, because it's sorta just a paired down, more efficient Windows 7.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

some people think Linux is better some think windows better. is all opinion really.

on your second question. it can depend on the Linux distribution. some are better then windows with it have it having a software centre where you can download stuff without hustle. with the software centre having useful software unlike the Microsoft app software centre.

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad my GPU is trash lol. I might be able to get a slightly higher fps now that I'm on Linux since it's more lightweight than Windows but still wouldn't be playable im sure

Reactions: Willgheminass

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows and Linux have their own strengths

Windows by far having the largest install base has the most support for, well - everything (gaming, office programs, random freeware)

It's also a bloated mess in its own right and can be downright clunky for certain tasks. Linux distros can be more streamlined and better for certain things (like servers, or setting up coding environments)

Windows is probably better for most use cases for average Joes - unless you are really bad at staying away from virus laden websites (think your grandma) then Linux is probably the best

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

You can only make honest comparisons when comparing the purpose you are using the system for. As examples. If you want to play game, you'll have a much better time on Windows. If you want to program or tinker around with the system, Linux is much more versatile. If you just want a desktop to browse the web and use basic office tools then you can go either way.

Windows is proprietary and closed source and has tons of support and tens to be more stable. Linux is open source and depending on what distro you are using as more or less support but has plenty of help online - however, while some problems you may get a straight solution, others may lead you down a rabbit whole that you have no guarantee of emerging.

Some stuff is more streamlined in Linux, like install and booting the system, others are way more complex and will make you go out of a user friendly UI and do steps manually on a terminal.

Which leads me to the next point: Windows is tightly integrated with the UI and you can't really get rid of it altogether, while Linux has it well separated, the UI is mostly a front for the terminal and you can ditch it altogether. This also makes coverage of the UI much smaller and unfortunately there is still some gatekeeping by Linux users and devs for people that don't get versatile with the UI.

Windows has heavy hardware demands. Linux can ran on a potato, provided you don't use or use a light desktop environment.

Windows has typically more support from consumer hardware manufacturers, Linux is expected to have all the support on the server side.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

steam has made leaps and bounds with Proton (allows most Windows steam games to run on linux via the client) also if your looking for the steam OS v3 experiance on PC the unofficial Holo iso became more noob friendly allowing for a gui install rather than pure command line (though most of the install process is still command line but it's automated you just need to input options)

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Linux can be much more lightweight to run dependent on the distribution you use. Though using it is very different from Windows and rather daunting at first. Especially when you look at tutorials with lots of them just telling you to use CMD for everything. But if you are dedicated to learning unix command line stuff then its great.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

depend on a bunchs of things , like wich version of linux you use , android is linux , steam os is its own GUI over linux , with a desktop interfaced and all based on Debian 8 .

Windows got tons of services and stuffs running together that linux is generally not doing since it hasnt been made like it in most version , wich make the ressources in windows being all over the place and more complex to work all together , while linux is trying to run of the minimum of services and programs it can unless told otherwise .

i was watching Wulff Den on twitch , doing an unboxing and trying out the AYA Neo Air , on windows 11 , and you could see the device trying its best with windows always getting in the way .

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
some people think Linux is better some think windows better. is all opinion really.
In my humble and correct opinion, Linux has a lot of advantages and disadvantages. I might be one of the biggest fanboys of Linux, but honestly the biggest advantage of Linux is being able to slap a WM on it and save resources that way. Which could be argued as making it better than Windows in cases like emulation. But at the same time, it’s often not a big enough difference on modern hardware. Point be they have their ups and downs and I am just happy to see more emulators on Linux

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
pro linux:
  • Open-Source.
  • Mostly free!
  • Indepth logging.
  • Security brilliant when you know what you do.
  • Package manager makes updating so much easier to control.
  • Every tool plugin or software you can dream of is there (open-source though doesn't have to be free).
  • About always there's someone who really understands you and helps you out.
  • Complete controll on what resources are in use for what purpose.
  • Easy building tools for programming.
cons linux:
  • You need to know what you're doing (it's really easy to fuck it up)
  • Linux is just the core, there are so many distro's (and sub distro's) all with small differences but they kinda matter.
  • Linux core isn't even the same on each (sub-)distro.
  • Finding your way when you need to troubleshoot something can be a pain in the ass.
  • Open-source projects can get terminated.
  • Security is based on the principe of: it's your own funeral (so be carefull).
  • You're gonna need some extra software.
Pro windows:
  • Easy to contrall a whole network from one centrall point.
  • Security is done by a professional (don't worry too much).
  • You don't have a whole lot of different distro's.
  • Since everything is paid for (and i mean really you paid a lot for it) the projects will not likely be canceled.
  • Complete package, all tools you need are in.
  • No manual needed.
Cons windows:
  • Pricey!
  • Every little piece of software gonna cost you extra.
  • Closed-source.
  • No one seems to really know what he's doing when building parts, for every fucking update breaks something boyond your controll.
  • Security is done professional, but every fucker got the same security, so one little script kiddy can do so much more damage.
  • Resource controll seems to be missing at all.
  • Since it's closed source it's cloudy at best to say if services are evil or not.
Pro (cr)apple (whatever thier new OS is called):
  • Comes with the Hardware (so everyone is having the same experience).
  • No manual needed.
  • Complete package even more complete than windows.
  • Hardware is known to be powerfull.
Cons (cr)apple (whatever thier OS is called):
  • PRICEY! about 130% the price of windows based systems).
  • Lack of long time support.
  • Closed-source.
  • You don't own the right to a single piece of what you do with it.
  • Over controlled package store.
  • No resource controll (even less than with windows).
  • Don't ever skip a single wordt by reading thier EULA, for it's crap, and they'll use it against you.
  • The way they show off.
  • The way people talk when they're infected with the virus.
  • Really only a designer is recomended to use this type of tool.
But this is about the switch emulator?

krasaty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can only make honest comparisons when comparing the purpose you are using the system for. As examples. If you want to play game, you'll have a much better time on Windows. If you want to program or tinker around with the system, Linux is much more versatile. If you just want a desktop to browse the web and use basic office tools then you can go either way.

Windows is proprietary and closed source and has tons of support and tens to be more stable. Linux is open source and depending on what distro you are using as more or less support but has plenty of help online - however, while some problems you may get a straight solution, others may lead you down a rabbit whole that you have no guarantee of emerging.

Some stuff is more streamlined in Linux, like install and booting the system, others are way more complex and will make you go out of a user friendly UI and do steps manually on a terminal.

Which leads me to the next point: Windows is tightly integrated with the UI and you can't really get rid of it altogether, while Linux has it well separated, the UI is mostly a front for the terminal and you can ditch it altogether. This also makes coverage of the UI much smaller and unfortunately there is still some gatekeeping by Linux users and devs for people that don't get versatile with the UI.

Windows has heavy hardware demands. Linux can ran on a potato, provided you don't use or use a light desktop environment.

Windows has typically more support from consumer hardware manufacturers, Linux is expected to have all the support on the server side.
I'd have to disagree with more stable. Windows always has bluescreen issues probably because of the spaghetti code of more than 2 decades worth of adding onto it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Windows by far having the largest install base has the most support for, well - everything (gaming, office programs, random freeware)

It's also a bloated mess in its own right and can be downright clunky for certain tasks. Linux distros can be more streamlined and better for certain things (like servers, or setting up coding environments)

Windows is probably better for most use cases for average Joes - unless you are really bad at staying away from virus laden websites (think your grandma) then Linux is probably the best
you're a supervisor now??? I need to talk with someone in management about this. wait, that's you! :ohnoes:

• Haha
Reactions: x65943

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

The problem with Windows isn't necessarily where it's at now, but the direction it's going in. Specifically that it's becoming a live service, always-online OS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Windows 11 doesn't even allow for local user accounts any more, you must be signed in to a Microsoft account. I also don't like some of the form over function design choices they made with it, or the fact that they're giving the user less and less agency over their own files/settings. Feels like they're chasing smartphone UI a bit, which is just silly for desktop PCs.

Reactions: bodefuceta

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

maybe try wsl. go to the microsoft store to download one the linux builds. another alternative is virtual box, but wsl is much quicker and easier if you're unfamiliar with Linux or anything associated with it. I was a noob as well with Linux till I compiled the hb store for the ps4. it's not that hard really, but you may have to look up a command every now and then.

Last edited by godreborn,

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Objectively, Linux is better than Windows in a lot of important ways, which is why like 90% of the internet runs on it, and massive corporations invest heavily in it.

But almost all of that corporate money in the Linux world goes towards infrastructure/service stuff, not the desktop experience. It is definitely usable by non techies, but Windows and Mac are undoubtedly easier and more user friendly for desktop users. The big players in the Linux world (Canonical, Red Hat, etc) don't make much money from their desktop offerings, so you see relatively little investment there (although tbf Red Hat does a lot of impressive work with Gnome, even if a lot of people hate it)

However if you are enough of a tech geek to work around the UX warts and confusing stuff, moving to Linux is an investment that will pay for itself 100x over.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo"