Hacking Swapping O3DS Firmware

Zephyriuum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, since I didn't find out about the whole CFW and flashcard scene before I updated to 9.5 OFW.
I don't have the funds to casually buy another O3DS or N3DS brand new that 9.2 or lower firmware, so I had this idea that i saw someone else post somewhere here on GBATemp.
1. Buy brand new O3DS from big name corporate store such as Walmart.
2. Swap backplates with perfect condition O3DS that I currently have with the older firmware brand new one.
3. Since my used 9.5 one is in literally almost factory condition(Especially after system formatting and wiping the SD card (please tell me anything else to that would help in making it look factory).
4. Pretend the 9.5 firmware one is the brand new older firmware one and return it

Has anyone else ever done this? I really don't have the money to just buy another 3DS with older firmware.
I really want to get into Gateway and custom firmwares since I don't trust SKY3DS after the button on mine broke.

Reactions: Margen67

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, since I didn't find out about the whole CFW and flashcard scene before I updated to 9.5 OFW.
I don't have the funds to casually buy another O3DS or N3DS brand new that 9.2 or lower firmware, so I had this idea that i saw someone else post somewhere here on GBATemp.
2. Swap backplates with perfect condition O3DS that I currently have with the older firmware brand new one.
3. Since my used 9.5 one is in literally almost factory condition(Especially after system formatting and wiping the SD card (please tell me anything else to that would help in making it look factory).
4. Pretend the 9.5 firmware one is the brand new older firmware one and return it

Has anyone else ever done this? I really don't have the money to just buy another 3DS with older firmware.
I really want to get into Gateway and custom firmwares since I don't trust SKY3DS after the button on mine broke.

And this is what you call return fraud, buy an item switch it with another one and return it while keeping the new goods, where I live if you get caught they can easily fine you $1,000. I don't know about where you live but to me isn't worth to risk and end up paying a $1,000 fine in exchange to win a $150 item, so keep that in mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud

chris_247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this with a japanese n3ds 9.4 and an american 9.0 one. You just have to switch the mother boards. There's many tutorials for o3ds on how to do it. Btw i didnt do the return thing just bought an american motherboard online.

Last edited by chris_247,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are several serial stickers on a 3DS. Watch youtube video for disassemble 3DS console. Don't know how Nintendo technician refurbishing team work, but there's chance they will find out. Regular N3DS is <$200. If it was me, I wouldn't want to risk a fraud charge (if caught) for that much.

Perhaps you should be creative: install emulators, custom theme... and try to trade on Craigslist. Since your 3DS is in excellent condition, you may be able to trade for lower firmware one. There are people with older firmware 3DS that doesn't know what to do with it. They may find old console emulator, custom theme interesting.

Last edited by tivu100,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*