Super Metroid Is Hard.

iGotTheSmores

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arnold Schwarzenegger said:
Just bought it on the Virtual Console. Using a GC controller makes SNES games feel a little more challenging and I'm not shelling out for a Classic Controller any time soon.
I think it ruins the feel and nostalgia of it, not necessarily make it tougher. Especially when you playing something like Super Metroid, Super Mario, or DKC.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought it on the Virtual Console. Using a GC controller makes SNES games feel a little more challenging and I'm not shelling out for a Classic Controller any time soon.
Classic controller isn't no better.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't find Super Metroid that hard, but maybe because I'm from the old school
tongue.gif

I always played hard games since I'm young, NES games were very hard (but I have difficulties at playing them again now, I became too lazy because of easiness of actual games :wtf:).

I completed Super Metroid many times, but I'm always looking for 100%, so I never ended it in less than 3hours.
after my first time finishing the game, I looked at a game guide to find missing items, now I don't use it anymore (don't use a guide before finishing the game by yourself first, it will give you even more satisfactions)

I'm always amazed at looking Super Metroid in assisted video, especially boss battles.

I'm currently playing Metroid Zero mission again, It's a nice one in the series.
Next one will be Metroid II, the only one I never played.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gaydrian said:
Classic controller isn't no better.
Did you mean to say that the classic controller was better? I'm never sure if people use double negatives on purpose.

Super Metroid wasn't that bad. At least you get a friggin' map! The original is tough as hell, coming from someone who for the longest time only ever played II on the Game Boy.

The only Metroid I haven't finished is Prime 3. And Other M I suppose, but not for long though.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sorry but no. Super Metroid could be better if it was more harder.

Metroids by Sakamoto are piece of cake. He adds elements to make the game more easily (and made it more lineal...).

Well, for my, Metroid Prime of Retro Studios exceeded Super Metroid (and is SO MORE difficult).

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:

Metroids by Sakamoto are piece of cake. He adds elements to make the game more easily (and made it more lineal...).

Well, for my, Metroid Prime of Retro Studios exceeded Super Metroid (and is SO MORE difficult).
What?

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to me the hardest part is phantoon (the boss of the wrecked ship). other than that the game actually is not all that hard. wall jumping is hard to master but you'll be glad you master it (especially if you want 100%!).
i had trouble too when i first played (i had someone guiding me kinda though), but the main problem i had was defeating ridley.

dont give up on the game, it is totally worth it! i still tear up at a part during the last boss fight :*(

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Juanmatron said:

Metroid games on a whole are unbelievably easy (except for Prime 2, but the overall game design wasn't that good with the asinine backtracking), the hardest thing to do in the series is walljumping in certain games and the Prime 2 bossfights. Same goes with Zelda- though it's all Zelda games that have always been easy. Off the top of my head, the only tough big Nintendo franchise is Mario (not gonna count Fire Emblem here) and even then it's only a portion of the games in the series.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow.

I beat it in 7 hours and 39 minutes, 62% items. Yeah, I JUST beat it now. Like, 5 mins. ago. I don't care if it took me forever, (of course I leave the game on a lot, I admit It did still take me forever.)

I beat it. I am happy, and now I can finish Other M.

See, for some reason, more than half-way through Other M, I decided to stop and play Super Metroid. And then, I decided I wouldn't touch other M until I beat Super Metroid. . well, I beat it. Chyea.
smile.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I find hard about this game is the controls. There are way too many buttons on the SNES controller and it doesn't need to be that way. If it was simplified to be more like the GBA Metroids, then I'd dominate that game easily. Plus I just hate playing these types of games on a console. I think it's much better suited off for the DS but alas, there are no good DS emulators that can run it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I got lost when I hit the water as well, until I realized the special place to power bomb.

I had so much trouble with walljumping, I could just not get it... until I read one comment on youtube saying that you needed to press away from the wall BEFORE the jump button (unlike most other games where it's jump first).

Within like 5 minutes I had it mastered.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hehehe you kids and your guides.... I beat the first Metroid and Super Metroid all on my own (I was the local guide for my friends.)

Hard hmmm I found the NES one harder then then the SNES one, but they both are just awesome games.

Now if you really want a challenge try getting the poster shot at the end of Street Fighter 2 Turbo....

Thats a challenge, I doubt I could do it these days but I used to be able to do it on command back in the day lol

http://www.gamespot.com/snes/action/street...urbo/hints.html

At difficulty level 8 the computer is pretty brutal lol

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really, I don't like SFII. (shoot me, who gives a fuck.)

And by the way, I never used a Guide for Super Metroid, and yeah, the NES one is MUCH harder, but personally, It took me 7 hours to beat the fuckin' game and I don't even care.

I beat it, that's all that matters.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off