Super Metroid Is Hard.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by sonknuck23, Sep 9, 2010.

Sep 9, 2010

Super Metroid Is Hard. by sonknuck23 at 6:12 PM (3,970 Views / 0 Likes) 37 replies

1. sonknuck23
    OP

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    I am having immense trouble with this game. I have not (and don't plan on) using an FAQ, for one reason; I've gotten so far on my own, I took a glance at an FAQ and I was totally lost. I don't know the enemy names so when they say "enter the room with all of the _____," I'm like "what".

Anyway, this game is super hard. I was kicking ass until I got to Madiria or whatever you call it, the stupid water place, and now I've been running around for like, an hour, straight, accomplishing nothing.

I thought I got somewhere, and I ended up getting the Spring Ball- A moderately useless item.

Am I the only one who pretty much sucks at this game?

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I've only had problems with bosses.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I never actually beat it (without using cheats [​IMG]). I don't think I ever even made it to Maridia lol. Though that was long ago, maybe I should give it another try.

4. sonknuck23
    OP

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    Well there's a mini-boss AND a boss I can't even seem to find. I'm having so much trouble with this game, it makes me want to hurt someone. Preferably one of you. (jokes.)

Really though, it's driving me insane. I'm not even asking for help, I just want to know if it's only me who's. . well, awful.

5. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Almost all of the older games had a higher difficulty level. The trend of dumbing down game difficulty started around the PS2 generation, but was greatly increased with the release of this last generation. Games which are challenging to gamers are 100% impossible for the wider market.

6. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    IT IS PRETTY HARD.ALTHOUGH I JUST STARTED PLAYING IT.dang i didnt know my caps lock was on...lol

7. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I have been playing that game since it came out (I still have my original cartage too) And I still have a hard time beating it.
    Then I feel bad when I see this
    EDIT: And there is a faster run than that too!

8. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Yeah, this game is pretty tough. I've never beat it.
    I was playing on my DS, but decided to wait for the DS2 SNES emu... so I probably won't ever play it again.

Mastering the Wall Jump is highly recommended early on in the game, as it gets you items early which allows you to be more successful in the saving of the Metroid larva.

9. iGotTheSmores

Newcomer iGotTheSmores Member

United States
    I don't know if I would say Super Metroid is hard, But I had to consult a guide a few times on my first few play through, After wondering around forever that is.

10. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    oh god this exploration game is expecting me to EXPLORE THINGS? WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM, SUPER METROID? SOME KIND OF GUY THAT EXPLORES THINGS?

Edit: If you think regular Super Metroid is hard, try Super Metroid REDESIGN.

11. _Chaz_

United States
    Or even the original Metroid. Getting lost in that game was like finding O3 in the ozone layer (Almost impossible not to, but getting more difficult over time).

EDIT: That simile is going in my fucking sig... It's just that fucking epic.

12. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Been playing Metroid II recently and that is the toughest one of the lot.

13. shango46

Member shango46 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Super Metroid is one of the best games OF ALL TIME! lol

I have beaten this game several times (Once I beat it in under 3 hours and saw the ending of Samus in her bikini!) and have saved the little guys and saw their little pixel space ship leave Zebes.

I really enjoyed Metroid: Other M as they made it happen right after Super Metroid.

Super Metroid REDESIGN? Really? Guess what game I am beating next!

14. _Chaz_

United States
    I've attempted... Never even made it to 35 Metroid.

PS

@title: I've got something else that's hard. [​IMG]
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

15. kakashi919

Member kakashi919 GBAtemp Regular

Trinidad and Tobago
    I gave up on Super Metroid a long time ago. Fusion was the only one i ever finished because i think it was the easiest.

16. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Its not just you. I remember playing it when I was younger and I got lost on many occassians mainly due to the fact that there are SO MANY AREAS in the game and you're required to BACKTRACK. LIKE A LOT.

Most games I played when I was a kid would point you in the right direction or leave behind signs or hints about what area to visit next. This wasn't the case with Super Metroid and that's why I think I never finished the game. I recall the SNES Zelda title giving me this problem with backtracking too... [​IMG]

17. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    An absolute classic game make no mistake, but like a few others have said it's tough, but not unbeatable.... if I remember I beat it in about 12 hours first go, minus any guides etc.... and played through a second time, JUST about beating the 3 hour mark was it (or was it 5 hours to give a special ending, then 2 or 3 hours for a more special ending? Can't remember, JUST managed the first special ending anyway)
    Like has been said you wanna try the original on NES - now THAT'S a challenge! Wandered around aimlessly for hours on that bugger, in between the constant dying..... and GB Metroid 2 I just gave up on LOL..

18. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Games had to be harder in those days to make up for lack of size. Anyway, persevere because the ending is fantastic. [​IMG]

19. _Chaz_

United States
    Contra...

*flashback of dying too much*

•.•

20. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just bought it on the Virtual Console. Using a GC controller makes SNES games feel a little more challenging and I'm not shelling out for a Classic Controller any time soon.