Homebrew Super Mario rpg not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
There are NO SNES Emulators on DS capable of running Mario RPG, Mario Kart or Starfox.
This is due to a chip included in the game's original cartridge that added a little extra power to allow the 3D effects used in Mario Kart and Starfox (possibly in Mario RPG as well). This has not been emulated yet and judging on the fact that no SNES emulators have been updated regularly it is unlikely to ever be.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more than just a "little extra power" - the SA-1 chip used in Super Mario RPG is 3 times faster than the SNES's CPU itself. But yeah, this chip is not emulated and probably never will be on the DS.

gamerjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the super FX chip cant be emulated with the DS so unless actual hardware changes were made and someone made changes to the emulator your outta luck.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
gamerjr said:
the super FX chip cant be emulated with the DS so unless actual hardware changes were made and someone made changes to the emulator your outta luck.

I'm guessing it takes up to much processing power.

Curses. I was hoping that someone would take up a SNES emulator and get Starfox or at least Mario Kart running on a DS.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apart from memory and graphical enhancement, the SA-1 chip had a raw 10mhz of speed. That is almost 3 times faster than the SNES' own 3.58mhz. The DS has a hard enough time emulating most NORMAL SNES games properly at all. It will likely never be able to play Mario RPG. I can see only two ways it could be made to run on DS-

1- Someone makes a special emulator designed SPECIFICALLY for this single game. Even here, I may very well not know what I'm talking about.

2- Someone manages to reverse engineer the game and port it to the DS. This is not emulation though, but a rewrite of the data. The only game I personally know about that has been almost completely reverse engineered is Sonic 1 from Genesis. Someone named Stealth managed to port the game to GBA using his own created code. This took years of research and the port isn't even complete. Mario RPG is a far more sophisticated game than it.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
The DS has a hard enough time emulating most NORMAL SNES games properly at all.

From my experience of SNEmulDS the main problem is the layering systems being entirely different. Although that may just be my inexperience showing, I don't know how much of the DS's CPU SNEmul takes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...