Hacking Super Mario Galaxy - PAL Wii - Cyclowiz

geez

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to post a quick summary of my experiences with getting the recent Super Mario Galaxy ISO that's floating around the web to work. There seems to be quite a bit of contradictory or misleading information, so I wanted to let you guys know what has definitely worked for me.

First off, I'm on a PAL Wii with Cyclowiz installed and patched up to the latest 3.6BETA firmware. I was also running the latest 3.1E firmware obtained by updating the Wii over the internet in the normal way through the Wii system menus. My language is set to English.

First thing I tried was to just burn the ISO and fire it up on the Wii, to see what would happen. It immediately asked me to update the firmware, and if I didn't want to do this, I would have to hold the power button down for four seconds. This sounded like a bad thing to do (I had read something somewhere), so I didn't do it and went off and did some more research.

[It appears that, if I were to just run the update as requested, my PAL Wii would be firmware upgraded with the NTSC (US) firmware that comes on the leaked Mario Galaxy ISO and my Wii would be semi-bricked. Glad I didn't do that. (*apparently, this might not be true. Can anyone provide evidence to prove updating a PAL Wii with the NTSC firmware on the US SMG won't semi-brick it?)]

So, I went off and found the 1.3 version of Wii Brick Blocker (first time I've used it) and patched a COPY of the original ISO. I burned two DVDs - one with the original un-brick-blocked ISO, and one with the brick-blocked ISO. [As an aside, someone really should port brick blocker to something other than crappy .Net Windows-only. I had to dig out some crap old laptop to be able to use brick blocker. Thanks!]. For those that don't know, brick blocker will remove the bit of the game disk that requires you to update to the latest firmware - it is the updating to this firmware that might brick your Wii, and therefore removing the bit that forces you to update will block any potential bricking that may occur!

At this point, I tried just running the brick-blocked DVD. This resulted in a black screen and unresponsive Wii Remote (usually the lights flash when the console starts a new game). I restarted the Wii and ejected the disk.

Then, with the DVD that wasn't brick-blocked, I popped it in, clicked on the game disk channel on the Wii and timidly ran the firmware updater until about the 10-15% mark, at which point I pulled the cable out of the Wii.

When the Wii rebooted, I ejected the non-brick-blocked DVD and put in the bricked-blocked one instead (the one that wasn't going to try and firmware update me).

After a quick restart of the console (to make sure the Cyclowiz was properly reset), up comes Super Mario Galaxy in the game channel, and it runs without a problem. Superb!

As an aside, I do just want to say that this game looks completely awesome. Please please please, if you're going to rip off this game now, please please buy it when it comes out. Support good games on the Wii! I've had my copy on pre-order since the beginning of the year.

Hope this is of help to someone.

beauchampy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
umm, i assumed it was safe to run the update on the disc on a PAL wii if the wii was updated to 3.1E. anyone confirm?

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even though my Wii is not modded (yet), this was of tons of help to me. Seems kind of weird to have to boot up a non-brick-blocked DVD, then unplug the Wii at 10-15% downloading, then put in a brick-blocked DVD for it to work...
wacko.gif

This really cleared things up for me. There's like 50 SMG problem posts and everything is so jumbled up.

BTW great first post, very informative. Most ppl use their first post to ask a retarded, overly-repeated question
wink.gif
(I know I did!)

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did this process with Metroid 3 - pal wii and didnt turn the console off. My wii was as up-to-date as it could be so I didnt worry. I didnt patch metroid 3, just let it run the update, reboot my wii and now it works fine.

Will I have to repeat this process for SMG? My wii is (PAL - 3.1e) hopefully, if I update my wiikey to 1.9g, I wont even need brickblocker to get the NTSC SMG to work?

Correct?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you have 3.1E then all u get is double channels if u don't do the flip thing. if you do the flip thing, no double channels.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did it.

Updated wiikey to 1.9g, turned region free back on with the 1.3 setup disc....

Burned SMG - NO region frii, NO brickblocker.

Let it update...

..Works fine!

evadwolrab

Trophies
XP
Country
What's the best region-free thing (patch? chip? modded formware?) and how do I go about installing it?

Other than that - great guide to SMG and also a great beginner's guide to using a Wii chip. There really should be a sticky on how to get from A) a freshly-modded Wii to B) playing a game.

I think this guide just about covers it, other than making my Wii region-free.

SpartanJ07

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to post a quick summary of my experiences with getting the recent Super Mario Galaxy ISO that's floating around the web to work. There seems to be quite a bit of contradictory or misleading information, so I wanted to let you guys know what has definitely worked for me.

First off, I'm on a PAL Wii with Cyclowiz installed and patched up to the latest 3.6BETA firmware. I was also running the latest 3.1E firmware obtained by updating the Wii over the internet in the normal way through the Wii system menus. My language is set to English.

First thing I tried was to just burn the ISO and fire it up on the Wii, to see what would happen. It immediately asked me to update the firmware, and if I didn't want to do this, I would have to hold the power button down for four seconds. This sounded like a bad thing to do (I had read something somewhere), so I didn't do it and went off and did some more research.

[It appears that, if I were to just run the update as requested, my PAL Wii would be firmware upgraded with the NTSC (US) firmware that comes on the leaked Mario Galaxy ISO and my Wii would be semi-bricked. Glad I didn't do that. (*apparently, this might not be true. Can anyone provide evidence to prove updating a PAL Wii with the NTSC firmware on the US SMG won't semi-brick it?)]

So, I went off and found the 1.3 version of Wii Brick Blocker (first time I've used it) and patched a COPY of the original ISO. I burned two DVDs - one with the original un-brick-blocked ISO, and one with the brick-blocked ISO. [As an aside, someone really should port brick blocker to something other than crappy .Net Windows-only. I had to dig out some crap old laptop to be able to use brick blocker. Thanks!]. For those that don't know, brick blocker will remove the bit of the game disk that requires you to update to the latest firmware - it is the updating to this firmware that might brick your Wii, and therefore removing the bit that forces you to update will block any potential bricking that may occur!

At this point, I tried just running the brick-blocked DVD. This resulted in a black screen and unresponsive Wii Remote (usually the lights flash when the console starts a new game). I restarted the Wii and ejected the disk.

Then, with the DVD that wasn't brick-blocked, I popped it in, clicked on the game disk channel on the Wii and timidly ran the firmware updater until about the 10-15% mark, at which point I pulled the cable out of the Wii.

When the Wii rebooted, I ejected the non-brick-blocked DVD and put in the bricked-blocked one instead (the one that wasn't going to try and firmware update me).

After a quick restart of the console (to make sure the Cyclowiz was properly reset), up comes Super Mario Galaxy in the game channel, and it runs without a problem. Superb!

As an aside, I do just want to say that this game looks completely awesome. Please please please, if you're going to rip off this game now, please please buy it when it comes out. Support good games on the Wii! I've had my copy on pre-order since the beginning of the year.

Hope this is of help to someone.

it won't semi brick your wii, it just gives you dupe channels, the american news and weather channel appear, but can't be accessed.
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...