Super Mario Bros. 3+ romhack brings Luigi, Toad and Peach with unique mechanics ala SMB2 into SMB3

1669391046519.png

Romhacker Infidelity, known for several impressive technical hacks in the past, like Super Mario All-Stars for the NES, which combines all of the classic NES titles into one ROM, similar to what All-Stars did on the SNES, has released a beta for his newest hack, Super Mario Bros. 3+.

The hack features a lot of new mechanics and QoL features into the original Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES. One of the most impressive technical feats that this hack offers is the ability to play as either Mario, Luigi, Toad or Peach (Princess Toadstool), similar to what Super Mario Bros. 2 did back in the day. The list of new features goes as follows:
  • Mario is the overall balanced character, with the same stats as in the original SMB3.
  • Luigi can jump higher than anyone else.
  • Toad (with mushroom) can kick objects with the B button.
  • Princess Toadstool (small,big,fire,raccoon) has the ability to float/hover.
  • SRAM saving to keep your progress.
    Player can save their progress at the overworld as well (which is the recommended method at the moment to avoid possible crashes)
  • Players can now wall-jump, similar to how it's done in recent Mario games.
  • Players can now ground pound, similar to recent Mario games.
  • Smash through bricks and enemies with the Hammer Suit while in your shell.
    Hold Down+B to charge your P meter. When P meter is full, release the B button but keep holding the Down button down. You can even jump while spinning by holding Down.
  • Re-enter cleared #-# stages, and mini castles.
    Cleared #-# stages will be white, indicating you can reenter it. Mini castles will have a flag in the front, showing you can reenter it.
  • The romhack works in real-hardware, be it through a reproduction cart (using an MMC3 chip / clone as base) or through a flashcart (tested with PowerPak and Everdrive N8 Pro).
  • And many more features.
As mentioned, the romhack has been released as a beta currently, but once some of the bugs are ironed out, it will be released in a stable manner, and it will be uploaded to Romhacking.net once that happens.

If you are interested in trying out the romhack, you can download the patch for it through Infidelity's Twitter post about the beta release.

UPDATE: The game's beta release has been updated to v1.1:

Undrtakr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Impressive! I just loaded it onto my NES and its great! I can now play as Raccoon princess through the whole game! Great job on this!

Sambuka06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How can I select the different characters.

After IPS patching with the right ROM, I can see the ROM changes (infidelity logo)
but I can't choose different characters...

Undrtakr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How can I select the different characters.

After IPS patching with the right ROM, I can see the ROM changes (infidelity logo)
but I can't choose different characters...
On the world map hit start. From there you can choose your character and even save.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think the game would really benefit from a few new custom levels scattered about that could make major use of new mechanics like the wall kick. Because with the levels on offer in vanilla Mario 3, I can only see the ability to wall kick being helpful a small handful of times.
Post automatically merged:

There are a ton of Nintendo rom hacks out there that have not been canned.

Mario Rom Hacks
Yeah, in general Nintendo doesn't go after romhacks. In fact the only one I can think of that they ever shut down was Pokémon Prism. Otherwise, its custom built fan games and remakes that they seem to prioritize. Which is definitely odd given that those games are built from the ground up while romhacks make use of modding official games Nintendo actually did release.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen some of the progress on Twitter and I can say this is an amazing hack...

...but I am not going to play it. My hate for ROMhacking.net doesn't let me do this.
lol it's not like Romhacking.net made the romhack in question, taking out your anger at that site for hosting such a romhack would be like protesting Youtube for the existence of Logan Paul.

Or to more accurately equate it to your situation, taking out your anger on this romhack for the existence of the site that hosts it, would be like hating (insert your most beloved Youtube creator here) just for the existence of the platform Youtube itself.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Think the game would really benefit from a few new custom levels scattered about that could make major use of new mechanics like the wall kick. Because with the levels on offer in vanilla Mario 3, I can only see the ability to wall kick being helpful a small handful of times.

Yeah, in general Nintendo doesn't go after romhacks. In fact the only one I can think of that they ever shut down was Pokémon Prism. Otherwise, its custom built fan games and remakes that they seem to prioritize. Which is definitely odd given that those games are built from the ground up while romhacks make use of modding official games Nintendo actually did release.
Pokémon Prism can still be downloaded if you look hard enough.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokémon Prism can still be downloaded if you look hard enough.
That's also the thing, pretty much every single game that Nintendo has DMCA'd is still out there to be downloaded if you look hard enough. The only one I think you'd have no luck in playing at this point was whatever that Super Mario Bros. Battle Royale game was called.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah nono. Just the images if they post it on romhacking etc. I mean it's a 10min fix anyway.
They could've just made it less copyright naughty with a completely different design.

The only one I think you'd have no luck in playing at this point was whatever that Super Mario Bros. Battle Royale game was called.
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope?
Looked it up, it was called Mario Royale, a 100 player SMB game that came out before Super Mario 35. Similar premise but executed very differently than what Nintendo would later release with Mario 35. All the same Nintendo DMCA'd it, the creator would put it back up later with entirely new art assets for everything, but even that I believe got shut down (which if true is absolutely going too far on Nintendo's part no matter how you slice it), since this was all online based, even if you get access to the game files, there would be no server to play it on at this point.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.