AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

Building:
The README should have all the instructions you need, but if you are on Windows, I recommend following my written tutorial on the official SM64 Port discord server as it is as direct as it can get. Once you join the server, there is a channel dedicated to the Wii U port. You can find the instructions there.

This port can be played with the Gamepad, Wiimote+Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller and Wii U Pro Controller! (One thing to note is that the L button has been mapped to the (-) minus button)

There are two control schemes:
1. A/X for jumping and B/Y for attacking.
2. A/B for jumping and X/Y for attacking.

1 is currently the default scheme. To switch to the other scheme, set "n64_face_buttons" to "true" in "sm64config.txt" on the root of your SD card.
This port uses big-endian savefiles and are stored on the SD card root.

A note for mods: The port currently does not support shader combinations (ids) not used in vanilla SM64!

Known bugs: (will be updated as more are discovered/fixed)
- There are currently no known bugs.

- Title screen hanging as it enters the hazy maze cave demo. I have tried playing hazy maze cave and it works fine during gameplay.
- Polygon offsets not working yet and back culling. This bug results in the following:
* No shadow under mario or entities.
* Castle entrance carpet is not there.
* One of the openable fences is missing (in BobOmb Battlefield).
* And maybe more graphical errors?
- Partially broken textboxes.
- Taking both the metal cap and vanish cap crashes.
- Saving takes a while on the first time you save each time you boot the game.

Noise texture is not applied yet, although I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to get it to work anyway.

Don't try to start another app such as the Internet Browser or eShop while SM64 is running! It will prevent you from being able to exit the game unless you do a hard reboot. (Press down the power button for 4 seconds)
This appears to be a bug in the Homebrew Launcher; if you install the game RPX in the home menu (using NUSPacker), you shouldn't run into this problem.

Feel free to report any bugs you find not listed above here!

Source code:
https://github.com/aboood40091/sm64-port

sm64ex EXPERIMENTAL Wii U port: (master and nightly)

* External data, BetterCamera (except for the mouse part) and other included mods have been tested and confirmed fully functional.
* There is no replacement for CLI options yet. i.e. to enable the cheats menu, you would need to edit the code to make it appear.
* No button remapping yet.
* No rumble yet.
* 60fps patch works as perfect as it does on PC. (So, depends on whether you call your 60fps experience on PC perfect or not)
* For the curious, intro works in Render96 (aka SGI mod) until the pipe is about to render. Afterwards, it crashes. Existing save crashes as well. (Don't lose hope yet, I will try my best)
* master branch seems to perform much better than both nightly and the official port on Cemu, for some reason.

https://github.com/aboood40091/sm64ex/tree/nightly

Last edited by AboodXD,

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Do you think it'd be possible to make this compatible with SM64 SGI?
I still haven't checked how mods are added, but I'll be looking into it.
Currently, mods which use shader combinations not used by vanilla SM64 are guaranteed to not work, but I'm working on that, too.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rom saves work? I recently verified my assumption that rom saves and vc saves are compatible. they are. I used a normal Mario 64 save from the wii u on project 64. all I had to do was rename it. it's just the sav file that you need; the other two files must be for rest mode and save states.

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
rom saves work? I recently verified my assumption that rom saves and vc saves are compatible. they are. I used a normal Mario 64 save from the wii u on project 64. all I had to do was rename it. it's just the sav file that you need; the other two files must be for rest mode and save states.
They should be compatible if you find where it saves the savefile, lol. (I have no idea)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's pretty easy to do. saviine or save mii mod will do the work for you. there's no added security either, so this, the original vc version, and emulators should all be compatible with each other. saves generally are compatible even across platforms (i.e. sony and microsoft), just with added security. however, the wii u has absolutely no security which is odd. the vc game is a .srl file iirc, so it's not exactly the same as a normal rom.

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Alright, fixed the major bugs and updated the first post to reflect on what was fixed.

EDIT: I'm somewhat of a speedrunner, myself. :)
20200811_102638.jpg

Last edited by AboodXD,

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Thanks to the efforts of nadiaholmquist, this port can now be played with the Wiimote+Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller and Wii U Pro Controller. (In addition to the gamepad)

There are two control schemes:
1. A/X for jumping and B/Y for attacking.
2. A/B for jumping and X/Y for attacking.

1 is currently the default scheme. To switch to the other scheme, set "n64_face_buttons" to "true" in "sm64config.txt" on the root of your SD card.

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is looking fantastic already but one tiny suggestion, possible to have the pause screen displayed on the gamepad while playing? that way you have info like current objective available at all times.

Reactions: Lotoonlink

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Excellent, I will download it to test on my Wii U.

I wonder if with this port it is possible to run Super Mario 64 natively at 720p or 1080p 16:9 on Wii U (since the Virtual Console version was stuck at 480p with a 4:3 aspect) or at least run mods with better 3D models.

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Excellent, I will download it to test on my Wii U.

I wonder if with this port it is possible to run Super Mario 64 natively at 720p or 1080p 16:9 on Wii U (since the Virtual Console version was stuck at 480p with a 4:3 aspect) or at least run mods with better 3D models.
The port natively adapts to the TV resolution, so, it can run in 854x480, 1280x720 and 1920x1080.
This is looking fantastic already but one tiny suggestion, possible to have the pause screen displayed on the gamepad while playing? that way you have info like current objective available at all times.
I will try to take that into consideration. Right now, the goal is to get vanilla SM64 to work 100% before any modifications are applied.
I do have some modifications planned. Hopefully, I may be able to add them very soon.
following for clearer build instructions
Updated the README, though it will just say the same as the first post.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The port natively adapts to the TV resolution, so, it can run in 854x480, 1280x720 and 1920x1080.

I will try to take that into consideration. Right now, the goal is to get vanilla SM64 to work 100% before any modifications are applied.
I do have some modifications planned. Hopefully, I may be able to add them very soon.

I'll give it a try at building an RPX to enjoy and test.

Wondering, could your code be easily ported to also produce a Wii executable?

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country

thanks for that, would it be possible to add support for external resources aka res.zip textures

Lotoonlink

Probably doesn't know what he's talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the 3DS port that was floating around on these forums, someone modified it to have higher resolution textures and higher poly counts in the models, are you planning on doing something similar?

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
thanks for that, would it be possible to add support for external resources aka res.zip textures
I haven't looked into how the build system extracts files and handles them, but I will look into it in the future.
On the 3DS port that was floating around on these forums, someone modified it to have higher resolution textures and higher poly counts in the models, are you planning on doing something similar?
Yes, mods support is planned.

AboodXD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Added home menu even when launching the game from HBL.
Also fixed the crash that occurs when trying to shut down the Wii U while the game is running.

But with this, I discovered a problem:
Don't try to start another app such as the Internet Browser or eShop while SM64 is running! It will prevent you from being able to exit the game unless you do a hard reboot. (Press down the power button for 4 seconds)

Last edited by AboodXD,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over