Super Mario 64 PC port has been released!

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 159,280
  • Replies 283
  • Likes 33

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there a way to play this with an older version of directX like 11 ?
If you build it for Linux, it uses OpenGL, and it's also possible to build for macOS and HTML, so maybe you can build it on Windows with OpenGL. At least, you should be able to play the HTML version.
Maybe you can replace src/pc/gfx/dxsdk/ with -lGL in the Makefile or something like that.

Last edited by nastys,

EnergeticBark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm able to compile it on Linux, but running it gives me the error "Warning: can't write everything: 4224 vs 2936".
I can hear the coin sound effect for a split second but nothing else happens.
Is anyone else having this problem?

Bagel1900

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone help me out? I found the mario.exe file online, but when I try to open it, nothing happens. It'll say it's running for 2 seconds in task manager but then go away immediately. My PC has DirectX12 so that shouldn't be an issue.

D

Deleted User

OP
Has anyone figured out how to go fullscreen yet instead of windowed fullscreen?

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The biggest issue I have with this PC port is that it suffers from the same problems as GlideN64 , which have been named "misaligned polygons". This can easily be spotted in Whomp's Fortress where the brown steps right where you start have a slight gap between the surfaces. This is apparently hard or impossible to fix in GlideN64, and so far you can only have an visually accurate rendering of the game by using some form of software renderer (like Angrylion rdp plus which now runs pretty well in latest retroarch).

This was the first thing I tested and upon seeing it I abandoned this port for now. Hopefully the devs become aware of this and strive for a perfect 1:1 port of the experience without glitches like these. Especially considering they are looking at OOT and Paper Mario both of which suffer more from this when not replicated accurately.

Oh and it's nice to see it take like 40mb of ram and like 3% of the cpu of course. I'd be interested to check out the source with the opengl support so I can try it on older hardware, but as for now I'm sticking with an N64 or angrylion rdp plus in some form.
Here's a quick picture I took of an example of the problem present in the PC port:
misaligned triangles.png
You can see the seems between the polygons. This was taken with gliden64 using parallell but the problem is exactly the same in the pc port. I used an emulated version since I already got rid of the pc port as it didn't fix this issue which is the most outstanding issue with n64 emulation imo. Oh and before anyone says anything this isn't fixed by lowering the resolution. This is simply not present on original hardware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Has anyone figured out how to go fullscreen yet instead of windowed fullscreen?
alt+enter

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: Deleted User

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And where's the problem of simply using a rotten emulator? I don't get it. Nothing against the work which is in there. But, I don't get it...
I would say this has a benefit of running on worse hardware than what would be necessary to run this game through an emulator. Then there's the ease of resolution scalability.

Personally, I still use any emulator with angrylion plugin since that is still the peak of visual accuracy.

Kagamiku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm able to compile it on Linux, but running it gives me the error "Warning: can't write everything: 4224 vs 2936".
I can hear the coin sound effect for a split second but nothing else happens.
Is anyone else having this problem?

I built it on linux as well and ran into this same problem, with a nvidia 1650 super latest drivers from nvidia and Ubuntu 20.04. I moved the same binary to a system with intel integrated graphics and it runs perfect.

I suspect that it is some sort of issue with the nvidia GLX implementation, or a conflict with Mesa GLX implementation. but if you run it on a amd/intel graphics stack it seems to run fine.

Reactions: EnergeticBark

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know I'm going to parrot that comment... are there more than one version of this for PC? The one I came across fires up straight copy of the N64 game, yet multiple images in this thread have a screen saying 'Super Mario 64 PC' so what's up with that???

Also controls, if you have an xinput/xbox PC controller it works perfect. Left analog to move like N64, right analog is your c-stick setup, then your L1/L2 are both Z button, R1/R2 appear to cover camera zoom, and then well you can figure it out from there.

WASD = Movement
Arrows = C Buttons
Space = Start
L = A Button
K = B Button
, = Z Button

Alt+Enter Full Screen/Windowed Mode

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You know I'm going to parrot that comment... are there more than one version of this for PC? The one I came across fires up straight copy of the N64 game, yet multiple images in this thread have a screen saying 'Super Mario 64 PC' so what's up with that???

Also controls, if you have an xinput/xbox PC controller it works perfect. Left analog to move like N64, right analog is your c-stick setup, then your L1/L2 are both Z button, R1/R2 appear to cover camera zoom, and then well you can figure it out from there.

WASD = Movement
Arrows = C Buttons
Space = Start
L = A Button
K = B Button
, = Z Button

Alt+Enter Full Screen/Windowed Mode
The reason is because the ones with the Super Mario 64 PC are made from a later version straight from the source that was released shortly after the pc port was leaked from the decomp devs. The leaked pc port is from an earlier version of the pc port source where only dx12 was supported. This pc port in question's source (since there are several) however can support opengl for example. I'm not sure what other stuff was added with it. Maybe the stretching of the skybox texture was fixed while in widescreen though I'm not sure of this.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks this I didn't realize. I had a time of just trying to locate the one I did on some spanish site and gave it a few safety tests first. Now I have to wonder how the hell to find the latest release -- fun.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks this I didn't realize. I had a time of just trying to locate the one I did on some spanish site and gave it a few safety tests first. Now I have to wonder how the hell to find the latest release -- fun.
I don't think anyone has posted a compiled latest release. That's why you'll have to look for the source and compile it yourself which is what the people above have done so far. Someone will probably post it online eventually.

Also the devs wanted to implement a true analog camera (not the buttons of the cbuttons but analog movement) but I don't think they managed to in time before it got leaked. However I'm think water111 who's working on a separate pc port that has the source available straight on github wants to implement the camera stuff as well.

Also hopefully he'll be able to implement a better graphics renderer that fixes the "misaligned polygons" present in the leaked pc port that I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Zense,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: as to you