ROM Hack Summon Night X ~Tears Crown~ Translation

OmegaFM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Calm down? No one's angry. I don't see one angry response. Someone calling you delusional, yes. Angry? No.

Yeah, studying for four or five years totally explains why you're using a machine translator when you're already fluent. Totally :rolleyes:

Those who really know Japanese, especially for four or five years do not need a machine translator. By then you should be fluent enough not to rely on one regardless of your vocabulary size and should know well enough how bad(And "bad" is the nicest word I could use for them) machine translators are.

Copying and pasting from someone else's translation does not mean you translated anything. It just means you copy/pasted.... that's it.

But if you're fluent in Japanese...
What does this say?

I'm still a bit baffled that someone is saying SNX does deserve a machine translation :lol:
This game is entirely too amazing to deserve to be butchered.

So will you help them translate the game?
Or you just came to show off?

I don't see anything wrong with using Google Translator or Babeflish if you know that the result should be taken with a grain of salt. I think kalil knows that much.
So let him do it his way or help this project yourself. And please get back to the topic.
I've been checking this thread everyday for months now.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I don't see anything wrong with using Google Translator or Babeflish if you know that the result should be taken with a truckload of salt. I think kalil knows that much.
So let him do it his way or help this project yourself. And please get back to the topic.
FTFY

Anyway in all seriousness, I feel that PG's frustration was not so much aimed at kalil but more at muhendis100 who offered to translate a few words (with, I assume, little to no understanding of the language). And her first lengthy reply to kalil was more to demonstrate that using Google Translate to get the gist of a sentence MAY not be the best course of action. But at least, she did offer constructive criticism. Take a look at other translation threads and you'll see what I mean :)

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't see anything wrong with using Google Translator or Babeflish if you know that the result should be taken with a grain of salt. I think kalil knows that much.

What exactly am I showing off? Is giving advice showing off now? This is news to me.

If someone who actually knows what they're doing comes around and wants to start an SNX project then yes, I will help, as I originally planned to back when Crimson Nocturnal was working on it. But neither kalil nor muhendis seem to know much about translating or romhacking. I'd much rather help someone who's actually serious and has some experience with translations.

I'll respect your wishes and return to the original topic.

If any serious romhacker or translator wants to work on this game and needs a translator or a romhacker, I'm willing to help.

Good luck those who give it a shot :)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's test the reliability of Google Translate and Babelfish, shall we?

Step 1) Start with "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Translate that into Japanese.
Step 2) Take the Japanese and translate it back into English.

On Google Translate I got "Rose will smell as sweet by any other name." It's kind of close, sure, but it's hardly ideal - much is lost in the translation. On Babelfish, though? "The sweet smell of roses for the by any other name."

So yeah, needless to say, machine translation is not the way to go.

kalil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What exactly am I showing off? Is giving advice showing off now? This is news to me.

If someone who actually knows what they're doing comes around and wants to start an SNX project then yes, I will help, as I originally planned to back when Crimson Nocturnal was working on it. But neither kalil nor muhendis seem to know much about translating or romhacking. I'd much rather help someone who's actually serious and has some experience with translations.

I'll respect your wishes and return to the original topic.

If any serious romhacker or translator wants to work on this game and needs a translator or a romhacker, I'm willing to help.

Good luck those who give it a shot :)

a serious translator huh

do you know why you didnt find any until now?
because there is none.
for some reason no one seems to be intereseed in translating SNX. and how one become an expert translator without beggin to translate? this is my first work as translator and everyone knew that.

i'll be honest here i was so pissed off that i decide star to translate SNX for myself in order to learn japanese and then laught on the face of people that wanted to play a japanese game but coudnt because didnt know the lenguage. (you can blame tales of graces for that).

but then i saw Marusero28 a brazilian compatriot that said "lets translate this game so that everyone can enjoy it" (the noble spirit of translator if ask me). so i decide stop been an asshole and help the team with the tranlation.

second who ever said i was fluent in japanese? i may have studied for 4 to 5 years but it wasnt straight i had long pause periods between them (unfortunally). and even if was it probably wouldnt be enougth to make me fluent in it.

and about Crimson Noctural, like i said have their patch is a huge help but even the "serious translators" make a mistake

in their case they translate "majin tachi" that means demons to magicians.
and they also translate the phrase

"Dylan, yapari omae wa teikoku no ningen da". to "Dylan we trust you and you betrayed us" (or something in that lines) when it means "Dylan, i kewn it, you are a man of the empire".

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
a serious translator huh

do you know why you didnt find any until now?
because there is none.
for some reason no one seems to be intereseed in translating SNX. and how one become an expert translator without beggin to translate? this is my first work as translator and everyone knew that.

i'll be honest here i was so pissed off that i decide star to translate SNX for myself in order to learn japanese and then laught on the face of people that wanted to play a japanese game but coudnt because didnt know the lenguage. (you can blame tales of graces for that).

but then i saw Marusero28 a brazilian compatriot that said "lets translate this game so that everyone can enjoy it" (the noble spirit of translator if ask me). so i decide stop been an asshole and help the team with the tranlation.

second who ever said i was fluent in japanese? i may have studied for 4 to 5 years but it wasnt straight i had long pause periods between them (unfortunally). and even if was it probably wouldnt be enougth to make me fluent in it.

and about Crimson Noctural, like i said have their patch is a huge help but even the "serious translators" make a mistake

in their case they translate "majin tachi" that means demons to magicians.
and they also translate the phrase

"Dylan, yapari omae wa teikoku no ningen da". to "Dylan we trust you and you betrayed us" (or something in that lines) when it means "Dylan, i kewn it, you are a man of the empire".

What PG is referring to when she said serious translator is someone who actually knows japanese and not using or depending on google translate or any machine translations.

If you're not fluent in japanese you should study harder so you can be fluent and not make a butchery of the game. It's not just that you are willing to do it, but if you are also qualified to do it.

Of course everyone makes mistakes. feel free to correct their mistakes.
P.S. i'm not sure if your corrections is right or wrong, since I don't know japanese.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Crimson Nocturnal sucked, nuff said.

Also Kalil I got your point, what everyone was trying to say here is that google translate is a bad thing, apparently you have a "normal" level, you probably just stopped with Kanji, but as an example, do you know Keigo ? (and don't just google it that's cheating)
In lots of Japanese games you have tons of way of saying things, you can't translate straight a string because you need context which you can't have if you don't know all the subtile "sh**" of the Japanese language.

I could talk to you in 4 different form of French, and you probably just learned one in school (if you ever learned French sure but that's just an example)

and I've got the PERFECT example of what I'm talking about here, for all the Breah of Fire fans (that includes me) there's a boss fight with a dolphin, and they used Australian accent to make it... well I'll just say trash talking

So, do you really think using google translator on that text is gonna end up "good" ?
I don't think so.

Just a note, don't take it as an offence (yeah offence, I'm more of a brit english speaker), I'm merely explaining things.
We all have standards here (except on the PSP section but hey, I KAN C TEXT IMMA GONA USE HEX EDITOR) and we like good translation.

And I'm sure PG would agree to help in a few years when she'll have some free time and not hundreds of project to finish first.

With that said, I'm going to bed, good night everyone.

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meh, I haven't talked to Mausero for ages.
I'll probably take a break from translating for now...and I've never actually seen mausero do any work on Phara route.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HdvYVJtMTBmOEEwa3VzZTU1cUlMVkE&hl=en_US#gid=3
(Names, locations, unison, summons, gimmicks...brave battles still have to be finished)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5gJViqdydIdHRlUHRnUXM4Q05OVHpGUWpPaUFTRHc#gid=50
(Phara Path up to right before day 4 support...I'll got day 4 support done just haven't typed it in yet)

Have fun with it. Make what every changes you guys want. I'm too busy with university lately to make much of an effort translating. * in front of name means sheet is completely translated, @= edited.

muhendis100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nice work ! It looks like you're finished all of Locations. Are you working with kalil ? he is only one already living this project and you.if you guys work together this project will be end very fast.

kalil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What PG is referring to when she said serious translator is someone who actually knows japanese and not using or depending on google translate or any machine translations.

If you're not fluent in japanese you should study harder so you can be fluent and not make a butchery of the game. It's not just that you are willing to do it, but if you are also qualified to do it.

Of course everyone makes mistakes. feel free to correct their mistakes.
P.S. i'm not sure if your corrections is right or wrong, since I don't know japanese.

a butchery. you dont have even read my trasnlation with which right you can say the translation that im doing is a bucthery?
let me ask you something. when i first learn english dou really think i got the first game and understood all the words of it simple as that? no! when i find a word that i didnt know i had to look up in the dictionary to find out. thats the same reason why im using rikaikun and google translator. VOCABULARY SUPORT. but it seems a lot of people simple think i got a phrase throw it on Google and paste the translation.

Crimson Nocturnal sucked, nuff said.

Also Kalil I got your point, what everyone was trying to say here is that google translate is a bad thing, apparently you have a "normal" level, you probably just stopped with Kanji, but as an example, do you know Keigo ? (and don't just google it that's cheating)
In lots of Japanese games you have tons of way of saying things, you can't translate straight a string because you need context which you can't have if you don't know all the subtile "sh**" of the Japanese language.

I could talk to you in 4 different form of French, and you probably just learned one in school (if you ever learned French sure but that's just an example)

and I've got the PERFECT example of what I'm talking about here, for all the Breah of Fire fans (that includes me) there's a boss fight with a dolphin, and they used Australian accent to make it... well I'll just say trash talking

So, do you really think using google translator on that text is gonna end up "good" ?
I don't think so.

Just a note, don't take it as an offence (yeah offence, I'm more of a brit english speaker), I'm merely explaining things.
We all have standards here (except on the PSP section but hey, I KAN C TEXT IMMA GONA USE HEX EDITOR) and we like good translation.

And I'm sure PG would agree to help in a few years when she'll have some free time and not hundreds of project to finish first.

With that said, I'm going to bed, good night everyone.

yes and no. i knew the concept but i didnt know that was called keigo. like i said before there are conjugation of verbs. you use verbs in the form masu when you are being extremely polite with the person you are talking to. and the commom form as the name says is the commom way to speak. not being polite but also not being rude.

Meh, I haven't talked to Mausero for ages.
I'll probably take a break from translating for now...and I've never actually seen mausero do any work on Phara route.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HdvYVJtMTBmOEEwa3VzZTU1cUlMVkE&hl=en_US#gid=3
(Names, locations, unison, summons, gimmicks...brave battles still have to be finished)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An5gJViqdydIdHRlUHRnUXM4Q05OVHpGUWpPaUFTRHc#gid=50
(Phara Path up to right before day 4 support...I'll got day 4 support done just haven't typed it in yet)

Have fun with it. Make what every changes you guys want. I'm too busy with university lately to make much of an effort translating. * in front of name means sheet is completely translated, @= edited.

thanks man.
and i know waht you mean
next wednesday it will beggin my semester in the unversity. now in the beggining of the semester i will be able to continue the tranlation since there is not much content. but when the papers start i also will have to drop the tranlation for a time.

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So um, I'm not really all that familiar with the situation and a topic skim is confusing me, is the issue here a lack of translation or a lack of hacking or both? I can do a couple hacking things though my ASM skills are mostly limited to GBA stuff, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get accomplished, but depending on how complicated the issue is maybe I'll be able to help probably not. Anyhow, I figured I'd at least throw this out there since it can't really hurt...

OmegaFM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hey Blazer.
I don't think anyone here leads the way so we're here on our own.
The topic is confusing a bit but I think they did the translation up to some point. You can check that in the Google Docs over there.
Have you checked the game yet? Would be awesome if you try hacking it and changing some minor things like menu or items names. And telling us if it's difficult or not.

There are few translators active here I hope they'll reply. But it's way easier to find more of them once someone can actually hack into the game and work on it.

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Admittedly, I haven't, I don't know how much you guys know if anything so I was wondering if I could get a sort of status update before I try doing anything (no offense but I don't want to waste time doing something that might not be of any use).

Regardless if I have time this weekend (spring break yay) I'll take a crack at it...

EDIT: Okay I was able to access and view the text and while I'm not up to deciphering the entire system right now it seems to be a relatively simple array of text IDs and strings or something of the like.

That being said I still don't know what exactly you're having a hard time with. The screenshots indicate that you're more than capable of inserting images and text. What, exactly, is stopping you from translating the game? Do you need a text editor programmed or something? I'm not really a huge programmer, aside from ASM and Matlab I don't know very much, so I can't really help you there. But yeah, even if I had the time and ability, I can't really help you without knowing what you need help with.

tl;dr I need more info please.

Thanks.

kalil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hey blazer

its just like i said i have 0 experience with room hacks. so i would like to spent my time in translation instead learning how to do it.

here is what ii have translated so far.
http://www.mediafire.com/?kog2eoal0d7cidd

can you tell me if translating trhe game this way will make easier to match the dialog box with its ID?

P.S. as i said before i still need someone to make the english revision of the translation.

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So where's the OC? His profile says he hasn't logged in for a while. And where's the rest of the team?

THE TEAM:
Tricky Upgrade (editor)
esserius (editor)
miruki (editor)
will1987 (translator-Eng)
ragna777(translator-Eng)
darkicecrystal(translator-Chinese)
kalil (translator-JP)

I see your name here, you don't seem to be very good at speaking English, no offense. Your translation is a little better, but there's definitely room for improvement--I guess that's what you meant by "i still need someone to make the english revision of the translation"?

As for translation, the easiest way to translate would likely be to give you a script dump and have you translate it directly. Regarding that, the main issue is coming up with a program to repoint the text afterwards. I haven't looked into graphics, but the 1st post has edited graphics, so I'm assuming it's not that hard. Furthermore, I don't know if the game already has an English font, but again, the 1st post has text IN English, so either the font was already in the game and fully functional or they've already taken care of the font issue. Without any info from whoever did that stuff, it's rather troublesome, and I'm not interested in starting from the beginning (it's not really fun to redo the hard work that others have already done for no good reason).

kalil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
like i said before i know nothing about roomhack so i dont have the slighest idea of what you are talking about

i said some posts before that i used the english patch that crimson noctural created when they were translating this game.
if got their patch would that solve the font problem?

Marusero28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry about the project. ><
I don't have any free time.
I study from 6:00 to 22:00
(I woke up at 4am to review some exercises)
My school are getting all my time.
I'm doing the translation, the image fixes and some other things.
(When I have time)
I'm not leaving the project.
Those who want to paticipate:
Nick:
What want to do:
Experience:
I'll fix the problems about this later.
Please understand I'm in 3th year highschool.
This game is great I want to finish the translation.
So please..
This is a Open-Translation
Those who want to help with 1~5 lines.
Thanks. ^^
This is better than making problems on this topic.
We need ASM Hacker, translators (speed up this translation)
July I'll post the screen of december 2012.
(I had a problem with my pc.. )
I'm not using my pc now.
Questions??
Use this for question:
//Question:
It will help to read yours doubts.
Have a nice day! :D

OmegaFM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thanks for replying Marusero. I knew I could reach you :)

QUESTION:
Does the game have some default english font? If not, how did you solve that?

QUESTION:
Do you have a script dump somewhere? How do you translate and reinsert the text?

QUESTION:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HdvYVJtMTBmOEEwa3VzZTU1cUlMVkE&hl=en_US#gid=3 <-- what's that document? Is it translated by someone else?
We are confused a bit.

Marusero28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for replying Marusero. I knew I could reach you :)
QUESTION:​
Does the game have some default english font? If not, how did you solve that?​
Do you have a script dump somewhere? How do you translate and reinsert the text?​
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...HdvYVJtMTBmOEEwa3VzZTU1cUlMVkE&hl=en_US#gid=3 <-- what's that document? Is it translated by someone else?​
We are confused a bit.​
Q1) We already solved this, I created a new font image and Tricky helped creating the new font module.​
Q2) SummonNightTransX a program created that dump and reinsert the text.​
Q3) This is some things of this game. (You will see this in battle.) Yeah Scarlet did a great job, he is impressive.​
@OmegaFM: why you not use the search function on the forum??
It's much faster than ask stupid questions here.​
@Marusero: what is the problem that you need and ASM hacker??​
Well, I don't care about stupid things... I'll answer. ;D​
But.. Auryn is correct. The Q1 and Q2 are in the begin of this topic. Part of the Q3 is in the first post.​
So please read all the topic before ask.​
Idea: (I don't have certainity if I'll do..)​
Well, the menu images the word are BIGGER than the box.​
I'm thinking about using some elements of the game to fill the box.​
Box filled with images like ToH.​
(If you don't know... search it will be faster than my answer. ^^)​

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...