StreetPass Riilay: The HomePass method on your phone

5ajm4zR.png

Hi! I'm Zurce (formerly DanteMx).
I have developed an App for Android that cycles the method i use to change the Mac Address of our devices, It's called StreetPass Riilay and you can download it today.

What are the requirements for this app?
As far as i know, this app should work for anyone that can change it's mac by editing the file /data/etc/wlan_macaddr0, have mobile data and root. If you fulfill this requirements this app should work out of the box with you and you should be a Happy User.

Ohh man! the app didn't work for me!
Don't worry, that's the reason the app is here , if the method that the App use to change the Mac doesn't work for you (you should see a permission denied Toast) it's probably because you're on a different device or Android version that i am, I'm currently running Sony Jelly Bean on my Xperia Z, so anyone with that set up could make the app work, and if you have a different set up and you have found a way to change the mac, please explain it to me on an Image tutorial, since (I repeat) I don't have the device and it doesn't work for me if you tell me "hey bro edit this file in /data/ called nvum.something" if i don't have the device and I don't know what i should edit from that file.

The app still a beta and most of the work that it needs to be done it's about the compatibility with the different kernels and their way to manage the Mac Address. If you guys help me we probably can get this working for most of device in 1 or 2 weeks.

Cool! You Got Any Screens?
I sure do:

3DZSnOAh.png
1IcMhUWh.png

Awesome, another question, Will this App work for Tablets?
While i don't recommend to run this app on a Tablet it should run with no problem, most of the Tablets out there are Wi-Fi so i didn't take the time to adjust the layout for Tablet, it should work with no problems but it probably would look ugly as f*ck or really small, but this is something i'll fix in future updates.

Hey I don't like "this" or "that", Change it!
If you don't like something just tell me why and if I think you're right I'll probably change it, remember StreetPass Riilay is made by me for you guys so feedback is well received.

Also if you want to help build my app better and you know how to do UI or have some tips for me, PM me, Any Help is well received too.

Everything sounds great, Is This App on the Play Store?
Unfortunately no, at least not right now, While it works for me , it probably doesn't work for a lot of people out there, so to upload it to the Play Store first i want to fix most of the problems and wide the compatibility with most devices, besides, right now I'm broke and i don't have money for the registration fee, i'll probably will in 1 week or 2 so be patient and if you wanna see this in the Play Store give me your feed back. (as well donation are super fine guys!)

So if it's not in the Play Store , How do i download it?
You need to side load the app to your phone, you simply go to Settings->Security->Unknown Sources and check that box, but you probably know this if you're already rooted.

Then download the app from here:

Google Drive Download V3.1:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5n38nW5GD0pSVJIQThjQ2hxM3M/edit?usp=sharing
Dropbox Download V3.1 :https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3tedvc8sv0rmgj/SP Riilay V3.apk

Awesome, Anything else?

Well , I'll like to thank the original creator of the thread dicamarques and the people who helped it to make everything work, also if you like to donate it will be gladly appreciated and it will help me pay the registration fee for the Play Store :lol:

btn_donateCC_LG.gif
How to use it:
Start your mobile data.​
Go to Settings->More->Tethering & Portable Hotspot (this may vary depending your phone)​
Select Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings.​
and configure your hotspot with this settings:​
SSID:attwifi
Security:none
if you use the "_The Cloud" SSID you'll have to configure the 3DS to use the hotspot as one of the three connections.​
Start the App and configure your settings, most of the time the 1 minute cool down time works for me, but sometimes depending on your network speed you might need 2 or 3 minutes to get the StreetPass.​
As for the starting Mac , I'll recommend it to let it as it is, but if you already streetpassed one of the macs start from there.​
Press Start Riilay and it should automatically start your hotspot and change your mac, in this point, if you see a toast telling you "Permission denied" this does not work for you​
and remember you need ROOT....
UPDATE: StreetPass Riilay V2!:
Hello! i have added a few methods more in the app, while i tested those with dummy files it probably works now in more devices, also i add a busybox method which in theory it should be compatible with all the devices out there but with sadly is not , if your device has a file with the Mac on it, like my case or hard code it in other file the busy box method will not work, but in those devices where the mac is nowhere to be found in theory it will work.
The Methods i added are:

/data/.nvmac.info
/factory/wifi/.mac.info
/data/etc/wlan_macaddr
BusyBox wlan0 devices.

Check out the new links.

Also, i changed the reconnection code so now it takes 10 to 15 minutes to reconnect the device so the 1 minute cold down it's not gonna work at least you have very good Internet.
Any doubt or question don't be afraid to ask, i'll probably update the app by Wednesday adding more Macs (i think there's 50 out there! ) a pause mode, and a notification mode where the app will notify you every 10 macs to check the Mii Plaza before to continue.
Hope i can fix all the compatibility issues as soon as possible but at least i expect the people that can use the app (that should be at least people with Xperia Z/ZL, and LG LX series i believe) is enjoying it .
PS: If the app looks uglier it's because i tried re doing the UI but failed , it shouldn't be that ugly next time.
Greetings and thank you for using my app.!
UPDATE: StreetPass Riilay V3!:
New Updated, i added some new methods as well a randomizer for the macs and Mac address up to 5F, didn't have the time to test all of them but they should work, also i extended the time for the cooldown, now instead of using 60 seconds it use 75, because the reset method for the tethering it was taking 15 seconds of the actual connection time so, now 1 minute it's equivalent to 75 seconds of time and 60 seconds of actual connection. Also i extended the times up to 15 minutes if anyone needs that much cooldown time.​
The new Methods i added are:​
/system/etc/wifi/nvram.txt
/data/misc/wifi/config
These methods use in line mac (instead of files with only the mac) so if your setup needs to edit an specific line in a file just ask for it.​
The app no automatically select the method you should use based on the location of the files, so you don't have to pick it manually anymore but the option still is there but probably is going to be gone in the next update.​
The next update will probably be August 31 since I'm going back to my university so ask for features you wanna see in the next update (that probably would be the last one before Google Play :DD )​
Also, busybox while it works in all phone or most of them, it doesn't always change the mac of some phones because they are hardcoded in some files on the system, try to search for those files if you see busybox is not working for you.

Ryan86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Root your phone.

Download Set the Wifi Tether app (3.4) to Android Device under the following settings:
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

For S2: (i have a GS3)
1. Wifi tether 3.3-beta2
2. Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S2
3. Setup Method: Auto
4. Send Netd Max Client CMD: checked
5. SSID: attwifi
6. Channel: 1
7. Mac Address Spoof: checked
8. Wifi-driver reload: unchecked
9. Wifi-driver reload 2: checked
10. Enable Access-Control: checked
11. MSS clamping: checked (dont know..) i assume it means keep alive as i have that checked)
12. Routing-fix: checked

This isn't working on my Galaxy S3 Mini (I8190L). Either it shuts down my phone, or it "starts with error" and my 3DS can't even find it. x_x The Log sometimes even states it failed to set the MAC address...

armagn12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This isn't working on my Galaxy S3 Mini (I8190L). Either it shuts down my phone, or it "starts with error" and my 3DS can't even find it. x_x The Log sometimes even states it failed to set the MAC address...

have you tried changing the profile to Samsung Galaxy S3 (item 2)?

try playing around the settings to see if you could make it work. Else if, this is not the method for you.

Zurce

A search for a mac file on my S2 yielded "/data/.mac.info" can you add this please?

Zurce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
null in EOF continues :(

i'll fix this on sunday sorry i don't have my computer right now.

have you tried changing the profile to Samsung Galaxy S3 (item 2)?

try playing around the settings to see if you could make it work. Else if, this is not the method for you.

Zurce

A search for a mac file on my S2 yielded "/data/.mac.info" can you add this please?

I'll add this method on sunday.

I'll review all your suggestions and update the app on sunday , thank you so much for taking your time

Ismaw34

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, ive been using the app some time right now, and on galaxy mini with the correct method on data/mac.info thing the MAC not changes and the 3ds ignores the new access point. It would be grat if you put some cooldown option for the 3ds can detect "No nzone" and try to search again.

Thanks,
-Ismaw34

Devan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i'll fix this on sunday sorry i don't have my computer right now.

I'll add this method on sunday.

I'll review all your suggestions and update the app on sunday , thank you so much for taking your time

I thank you, for your time!!!

Ismaw34

Trophies
XP
Country
Further testing, great app, but it keeps putting the default mac on my galaxy mini.
Tryed to use BusyBox, but it seems the app keeps telling me tu use the /data/ method.
NOT WORKING
Can I suggest to make the File r--r--r-- (Read Only for all), and will be working ;)
-Ismaw34

lucasfcr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This app is great!! Thank you.
The method I use to change the MAC is /data/etc/wifi/fw
This fw is a document with just my mac address in it.
(Xperia S, JB)

Can you add it, please?

Flomsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So to get this working on some devices here's what to do. You will need a mobile device with its own data connection (Eg. 3G or 4G).

1. Root your android mobile device (I used a HTC One). Search google for tutorials on how to Root your device.
2. After or during the rooting process, install BusyBox (again, do a search to research this).
3. Install the Riilay App found in the first post to your mobile device
4. Set up a WiFi Hotspot on your device using the SSID: attwifi and no security (so no password). This will mean that anyone will be able to access your phone's data connection, so be careful.
5. Open your 3DS and set up an internet connection with the new attwifi hotspot you've created. (This may not be necessary)
6. Return your 3DS to the menu and close the screen.
7. Open the Riilay app. It should recommend which method to use. For me it was the Busybox method. This will vary per device.
8. Set a cool-down period on the app (set it above 1 min at least, 5mins works best for me I've found).
9. Start the Riilay App. It should then change the MAC address of the device and the 3DS should connect.
10. Wait a few minutes for you first streetpass hit! After the set cooldown period, the app should cycle through to the next address, and the next streetpass hit.
NOTE: you can only street pass each MAC address once every 8 hours.

If this method does not work for you, I can't help. Others may be able to.
I have found after a while, my phone may close the app or turn off the wifi hotspot (meaning I only get about 4 streetpasses before I need to restart everything). This is proably just the settings or app killer app i have installed on my phone.

ALSO: I went to a 3DS meet-up the other day and had my phone in my pocket with WiFi hotspot turned OFF. Other people's 3DS systems started to download updates, quickly draining my phones data allowance. I had to change the WiFi hotspot name to something else to get it to stop :wtf:

Zurce

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but I won't be able to update the app today, I couldn't get my computer I hope that by Wednesday I'll get it done

ibds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've made a test with my galaxy S3 mini using the busybox method, it does change the MAC address, but after changing it the hotspot doesn't connect anymore even though it continues to appear on the wifi on 3DS..

I did change the mac address manually by commands on busybox and the same thing happens :(

ibds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've made a test with my galaxy S3 mini using the busybox method, it does change the MAC address, but after changing it the hotspot doesn't connect anymore even though it continues to appear on the wifi on 3DS..

I did change the mac address manually by commands on busybox and the same thing happens :(

Well looking on the internet it seems the only way to change the mac on a S3 is changing the phone rom..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2072479

PrincessPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I use my old Galaxy S1 with Darky Rom, Wifi Theter App works and I can StreetPass successfully, but with Riilay, I don't even get one.

Rone

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wanted to report three glitches when using a Note II, rooted and with stock tether "unlocked", but no custom rom:

*The only method that will work is "busybox method", which is fine. One of the other settings (/factory) does APPEAR to work, but it doesn't.
*The first time Riilay is activated, it works perfectly! However, when it attempts to cycle the mac address, it does SOMETHING in a manner the phone doesn't appreciate, and the access point doesn't setup correctly. This is reflected in the cell phone showing "hotspot active", but the 3DS being unable to connect to the hotspot (it detects the SSID, just can't connect to it, erroring out instantly). It can be fixed by manually shutting down the hotspot and turning it back on. Perhaps it's an issue of needing to delay the re-opening process?
*Riilay doesn't work once the phone goes into standby (AKA the screen turns off)

ShinAbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just a note, in jelly bean 4.1.2 they changed the nvram.txt to nvram_net.txt in /system/etc/wifi/
adding this to the app should make most galaxy phones works.

Ryan86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
just a note, in jelly bean 4.1.2 they changed the nvram.txt to nvram_net.txt in /system/etc/wifi/
adding this to the app should make most galaxy phones works.

Shin, I use a Galaxy S3 Mini that shares Android 4.1.2, and while I do have a "nvram_net.txt" file in the directory in question (/system/etc/wifi/), it isn't like my old phone where nvram.txt was nothing but a MAC address: this file is huge and contains a lot of data.

Sure, there was a "macaddr=00:09:...." on it (in fact, such address appeared twice along the file). Not only changing it didn't work, but also there's a catch: that is NOT the MAC address I obtain when I press *#232338#, which is something to the lines of 88:9B:....

Mind sharing more info on how you're getting this to work? My old phone can only run in 2G, so if I could get it to work on my new phone (that has 3G), it would make things much easier on me, even if Riilay doesn't support it yet.

Ismaw34

Trophies
XP
Country
To all the people complaining about the methods that are not the busybox.
The file is set to chmod 777, and when the android trys to power on the Wifi Point, it resets to the default MAC is given.

If the creator sees this, would know that chmoding the file to 444 on edit and when changing put it back to 777 if he wants, it would be fixed.

Also, give some time to update... It takes time.

-Ismaw34

Entropy86

Trophies
XP
Country
Having trouble with my HTC one, got the 3ds to connect to the hot spot, the light flashes as if its transferring data, but i dont get any streetpass hits out of it. I'm using busybox method as its the only one that would "work" and have the cooldown time set at 5 mins. Any ideas on how to check the mac is being spoofed, the wifi tether app always failed to change my MAC address so maybe missing something important.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying