Hardware Strange distortion under New 2DS XL touchscreen

GameBoyColor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a weird rainbow-colored distortion under my New 2DS XL's touchscreen. It's only visible from a specific angle (I have to have it nearly flat to see it), and doesn't appear to affect use of the touchscreen. It almost looks like an air bubble under the touchscreen. When I touch it, it goes away, but then comes back. I only noticed it when cleaning my screen to prepare it for a screen protector. But even with the protector off now, it's still there.

Is this normal? It doesn't affect anything, so it's not a huge deal, but I'd hate to have somehow damaged my device.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a weird rainbow-colored distortion under my New 2DS XL's touchscreen. It's only visible from a specific angle (I have to have it nearly flat to see it), and doesn't appear to affect use of the touchscreen. It almost looks like an air bubble under the touchscreen. When I touch it, it goes away, but then comes back. I only noticed it when cleaning my screen to prepare it for a screen protector. But even with the protector off now, it's still there.

Is this normal? It doesn't affect anything, so it's not a huge deal, but I'd hate to have somehow damaged my device.[/QUOTE

Did you use a a liquid like rubbing alcohol or windex when cleaning your screens? That sounds like water disfiguration. If it's not that, you should probably return your N2DSXL for another one if it's new store bought. Could be manufacturing defect.

Reactions: miss_nakano

GameBoyColor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you use a a liquid like rubbing alcohol or windex when cleaning your screens? That sounds like water disfiguration. If it's not that, you should probably return your N2DSXL for another one if it's new store bought. Could be manufacturing defect.

I didn’t use liquid, and I doubt that’s what it is - it’s right in the middle of the screen, rather than at the edges. Plus, it’s not visible at all except at that very specific angle.

I don’t want to return it since I’ve already installed CFW on it, but now I’m parnanoid that it’s either defected, or was actually used and just sold as new.

Edit: I noticed that the box had a dent on one of the edges, so maybe it had been dropped. But surely this would manifest in a way different than a hard-to-notice blotch in the center of the touchscreen, right? I wish I wasn’t so paranoid about these things.

Last edited by GameBoyColor,

miss_nakano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I didn’t use liquid, and I doubt that’s what it is - it’s right in the middle of the screen, rather than at the edges. Plus, it’s not visible at all except at that very specific angle.

I don’t want to return it since I’ve already installed CFW on it, but now I’m parnanoid that it’s either defected, or was actually used and just sold as new.

Edit: I noticed that the box had a dent on one of the edges, so maybe it had been dropped. But surely this would manifest in a way different than a hard-to-notice blotch in the center of the touchscreen, right? I wish I wasn’t so paranoid about these things.

It might have been dropped and damaged your screen..I agree with turdpoocharger that you should probably return it while you can. You can always install cfw again on another 3ds with flawless hardware because hardware damage might not be easily repairable(it will be quite expensive to replace the screen and the replaced screen might have other problems too). I suggest you to back up your important save files(I use JK save manager), install official OFW and then return it. I wish you luck.

Last edited by miss_nakano,

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is probably a slight delamination of the screen layers. This is a defect but pretty common. The touch screen is an overlay that is bonded with optical adhesive to the LCD (in most cases).

There are likely only 2 options, return it, or live with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    N @ NoiseCommander3DS: https://youtu.be/cAo4TuKIz6s