Hardware New 3ds xl has touchscreen and circle pad issues.

Lime_Cupboard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I made a post previously about this 3ds with a different issue, which is now fixed. I still need help with this though.

I few days ago, I dropped my 3ds, and since then, when turned on the touchscreen doesn’t work and the circle pad seems to be drifting terribly. This will happen most of the time but sometimes I will get lucky and it will be fine and everything will work.

Is it worth selling it as broken and trying to get a new one?

I will attach a video of what it does.

If anyone can help me, please do. I really want to get this working again. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 73551081464__2D3755EB-44C1-474D-931F-9F257016A058.MOV
    1.5 MB

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just done that, doesn’t seem to have affected it. Any other ideas?
If you've tried reseating the relevant cables already it's probably toast. From what you've described from previous posts it seems like far more work/time/money to get your console up and running again than it's worth.
I'd cut your losses and buy a new one.
I would also take care to avoid dropping consoles on the ground, especially if they've already demonstrated hardware issues. 3DS wrist straps exist, surprisingly.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try playing with the C-stick a little, maybe reseat the cable or replace it (or remove it entirely then power on the system to see if the problem persists). It might not be the problem at all, but it could be that it's not the circle pad since the C-stick also moves the cursor on the homescreen.

Now if you know for certain it's the circle pad then please ignore me, but if you can't find the error with the digitiser or circle pad, only other thing I think of is the C-stick.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any idea what would have caused it?
I'd wager that dropping the console had something to do with it, based on what you've said. You know the surrounding circumstances better than we would.
Also is there definitely nothing else I could try doing?
Purchasing new cables could work if the old ones don't work after being reseated, but it might be an actual chip issue as well which would require much more work.
Truthfully, there are a lot of things that could've caused the problems if you dropped the console. You can keep testing if you want, and you may or may not find the problem, but you'll probably be looking for a while.

Lime_Cupboard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try playing with the C-stick a little, maybe reseat the cable or replace it (or remove it entirely then power on the system to see if the problem persists). It might not be the problem at all, but it could be that it's not the circle pad since the C-stick also moves the cursor on the homescreen.

Now if you know for certain it's the circle pad then please ignore me, but if you can't find the error with the digitiser or circle pad, only other thing I think of is the C-stick.
This may be a stupid question but can the circle pad and c stick be used at the same time? The circle pad is giving no response when I try and move it which suggests that is the problem, but I am unsure. Could a faulty circle pad also cause touchscreen issues?
Post automatically merged:

You can keep testing if you want, and you may or may not find the problem
Would 3dsident help at all?

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a stupid question but can the circle pad and c stick be used at the same time?
Yes. Some games use both at the same time, in fact.
Could a faulty circle pad also cause touchscreen issues?
It's more than likely one common issue causing both the touchscreen and circle pad to not respond--not one causing the other to not respond, if that makes sense.

Lime_Cupboard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Some games use both at the same time, in fact.

It's more than likely one common issue causing both the touchscreen and circle pad to not respond--not one causing the other to not respond, if that makes sense.
Is there some chip that controls them both? If there is I don’t know if it could have been damaged during the drop or not. It wasn’t a very high drop, only about 20cm

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there some chip that controls them both? If there is I don’t know if it could have been damaged during the drop or not.
I don't know that. I'm more of a software guy. Someone with more technical hardware knowledge might be able to help you out.
If there is I don’t know if it could have been damaged during the drop or not.
If the issues only started after the drop, then that's more than likely what caused it. If a chip or board cracks it will usually stop working completely.
It wasn’t a very high drop, only about 20cm
That's still high enough to cause damage, especially if you were already having hardware issues before. Consoles aren't meant to be dropped from any height.

Lime_Cupboard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm more of a software guy
Seeing this made me wonder if it is a software issue. I had an issue with sound previously which I fixed with software, but this only works when the touchscreen and circle pad problems aren’t happening. When they happen, my sound once again doesn’t work. It has cfw so maybe dropping it somehow messed it up? It’s a strange idea.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing this made me wonder if it is a software issue. I had an issue with sound previously which I fixed with software, but this only works when the touchscreen and circle pad problems aren’t happening. When they happen, my sound once again doesn’t work. It has cfw so maybe dropping it somehow messed it up? It’s a strange idea.
Software issues don't cause hardware defects. I'm very confident that the issue you have is hardware. There's no software-based issue that would suddenly cause the entire touch screen and circle pad to stop responding.

Lime_Cupboard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe replacing the motherboard could fix it? Cheaper than buying another 3ds, but I wouldn’t want to do it if there is no chance of it working.
Post automatically merged:

Software issues don't cause hardware defects. I'm very confident that the issue you have is hardware. There's no software-based issue that would suddenly cause the entire touch screen and circle pad to stop responding.
I've made a decision to replace the motherboard, will I lose my cfw if I do this, and how would I backup my saves and then put them back on it. Thanks!

Last edited by Lime_Cupboard,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :D:)