Still hoping for a Legends 3 release? Too bad.

Digital Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the reason why most Legends Fans are mad about is NOT about Megaman Legends 3 cancellation...yeah you heard me lol. See that was never really the problem, the real problem was the fact that Capcom canceled the Prototype which was a demo/prologue to the real game. Capcom said at some point during the development that they were going to release this Prototype on the Nintendo eShop (for $2) on 3DS to stir up interest in the main game....what happened? They went and canceled everything,Not even giving the prototype a chance to make any cash or increase interest in the series at all. If that was out MAYBE more people would of supported the game?

Not only that Capcom didn't do a great job to advertise the Devroom, expecting us to advertise for them..whats up with that? yeah its a "fan" project and I think most people in the Devroom if the game was still being made wouldn't have a problem making a Facebook page or doing some free advertising here and there, BUT we expected more from Capcom , we wanted them to show off the game and Devroom more but we rarely got mentions :l The whole "not enough fan interest" excuse is bs, there were tons out there that didn't even know the Devroom existed and wanted this game. it wasn't UNTIL Capcom canned it that more fans started to come out of the wood work over the sudden commotion.

So yeah, waiting about 10 years for a game, then getting it canceled then blaming it on us is a slap to the face, of course there's gonna be tons of us that wont get over it yet.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital Knight said:
I think the reason why most Legends Fans are mad about is NOT about Megaman Legends 3 cancellation...yeah you heard me lol. See that was never really the problem, the real problem was the fact that Capcom canceled the Prototype which was a demo/prologue to the real game. Capcom said at some point during the development that they were going to release this Prototype on the Nintendo eShop (for $2) on 3DS to stir up interest in the main game....what happened? They went and canceled everything,Not even giving the prototype a chance to make any cash or increase interest in the series at all. If that was out MAYBE more people would of supported the game?

Not only that Capcom didn't do a great job to advertise the Devroom, expecting us to advertise for them..whats up with that? yeah its a "fan" project and I think most people in the Devroom if the game was still being made wouldn't have a problem making a Facebook page or doing some free advertising here and there, BUT we expected more from Capcom , we wanted them to show off the game and Devroom more but we rarely got mentions :l The whole "not enough fan interest" excuse is bs, there were tons out there that didn't even know the Devroom existed and wanted this game. it wasn't UNTIL Capcom canned it that more fans started to come out of the wood work over the sudden commotion.

So yeah, waiting about 10 years for a game, then getting it canceled then blaming it on us is a slap to the face, of course there's gonna be tons of us that wont get over it yet.
That's part of it, but the largest part is that they're mad about the game's cancellation.

Krotar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the cancellation's probably the biggest one, but the circumstances are what really drives the raging. A lot of us saw the cancellation coming, especially when Capcom said the Prototype's sales would decide the game's fate. We thought we'd at least get to play the Prototype, though, and have the chance to help that succeed first. Instead, the whole shebang was wiped out, and the only explanation we got was "did not meet criteria'.
They said the project was to show fans what it's like to make a game (you know, instead of actually make a game, apparently) but aren't developers told why their projects are cancelled, or are given knowledge of the criteria they must meet before hand? The look into development is incomplete without that. Instead, it just gives us a look at the corporate side of game design, and it is NOT a flattering one.

junkerde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
live with it, mml wasnt even one of the best series anyways, its fun here and there but quit cryin jeez. its over now move on

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
machomuu said:
I've only played 5 and 6 and loved them both.
The real problem was, that the games were getting very repetitive.
Fans that were playing the series since the first game just got bored.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't know why people are so mad.

How easy was it to just sign up to the devroom?
Okay, you didn't know about it.
But you heard about the cancellation and raged the heck out of Capcom.
So how much EASIER was it to click the "Like" button/link on that facebook page?
And it only got 36,889 likes?
All this internet rage at Capcom...only got 36,889 likes?

How much easier is it to click that than to go out and actually buy the game when it releases?
And you can almost bet some of those likes were fabricated through multiple accounts too.

Excuse or not, those are pathetic numbers.
Even if they liked Legends and wanted to make a sequel in the first place they probably wouldn't have with those numbers.

So let's recap.

-Capcom hates the Legends series.
-They NEVER wanted to make a Legends sequel.
-Inafune, through YEARS of coercion, finally gets Capcom to give Legends 3 a chance.
-Relying on the "massive" fanbase to show support and prove to the stubborn higher ups that Legends will sell well the devroom is set up.
-WORLDWIDE it barely hits 10,000 members. Much less even probably. For North America it was only a few hundred for the longest time. It peaked out at 4,500 or so.
-Capcom cancels project.
-People rage.
-Facebook page setup, surely the fans can easily get at least 100,000 likes to prove it's worthwhile project?
-Only gets 36,889 likes.
-EVERYONE knows about the devroom now, there is no more excuse.
-Devroom still has abysmal number of members, around 13,000 maybe, even after the additional encouragement from the staff that worked on the game.
-People are honestly surprised and angry Capcom scrapped this project.

36,889 likes on the facebook page and only around 13,000 members in the devroom show how many of those likes were really from fans.
The instructions to join the devroom were posted on that page every few minutes.

I followed this from day 1.
I knew about the devroom from day 1.
I really liked Legends 1 and 2.
I should be one of the angriest fans.
But really?
It's not surprising at all.
I knew at best we'd get a bit over 100,00 members and Capcom still might cancel it...we got no where near that number even.
Fueled by love and fans we got tiny numbers.
Fueled by hate and rage we still got awful numbers.

When it comes down to it, they made a good decision from a company perspective.
What little backlash they get probably won't hurt them much if at all.
You all remember how well those Call of Duty boycotts went after all.

It's not like the death of the Legends series means the death of Mega Man.
It hasn't even been a year since the last Mega Man game.
Mega Man is a huge IP for Capcom and makes them tons of money, they're not going to kill off the series even if Inafune's no longer there.
I'd be more worried they'd want to pump out more rehashes and sequels now that he isn't around actually.
It's just the Legends sub series never made them that much money which is why they stopped after MML2 in the first place.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz. said:
Tanveer said:
Ok, I am getting fed up with all the Legends 3 crap.

Why cant people live with the decision of the devs cancelling it?
Its not the end of the world o.O
Besides, legends would have been the only good megaman game in YEARS. Seriously. Starforce? MM 10? Don't even make me laugh.

uhm..the GBA Battle Network Series
mellow.gif

in short - Capcom- "its not about fanservice...its about MONEY. if we can't profit HEAVILY. then we won't make it. brb. g2g chat with SE"

but I guess this is almost every companies business model. Who gives a shit about the fans right?...they will buy our stuff regardless if we give them special treatment or not.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M[u said:
ddy]
machomuu said:
Me, being one of those fans, I didn't get bored after the first game. It was the apparent lack of a cohesive storyline in the 4th game, and on top of that trying to explain ALL of what they were trying to get at in BN4 and more over the course of BN 5 and 6. 5 and 6 somewhat salvaged what of the BN series that 4 seriously damaged (basically the importance of actual plot-driven dialogue), but by then, the damage was done.

Having said that, the battle aspect wasn't really lacking to me, there were things that they could've done to the system, but overall it wasn't bad.

D

Deleted-236924

Zarcon said:
36,889 likes on the facebook page and only around 13,000 members in the devroom show how many of those likes were really from fans.
The instructions to join the devroom were posted on that page every few minutes.
That is EXACTLY what I wanted to say.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
jonesman99 said:
M[u said:
ddy]
machomuu said:
Me, being one of those fans, I didn't get bored after the first game. It was the apparent lack of a cohesive storyline in the 4th game, and on top of that trying to explain ALL of what they were trying to get at in BN4 and more over the course of BN 5 and 6. 5 and 6 somewhat salvaged what of the BN series that 4 seriously damaged (basically the importance of actual plot-driven dialogue), but by then, the damage was done.

Having said that, the battle aspect wasn't really lacking to me, there were things that they could've done to the system, but overall it wasn't bad.

better than how they completely fucked Starforce right in the ass.

changing from a 3x3 square to a limited 1X3 square. WONDERFUL.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
jonesman99 said:
M[u said:
ddy]
machomuu said:

I know... That irritated me to no end. They could have kept it at the 3x3 and still had the 3D sprites (albeit polished far more than what Starforce looked like) and still had some good reception to it.

But on-topic: by that time, the people in the FB page had probably given up hope on the Devroom because of how loosely they interpreted how much fan involvement they really wanted. So they only just liked a facebook group and opted out of the Devroom.

On top of that, look at the Petition to Bring Back Legends 3, at this time, less that 3500 people have signed it. And IMHO, Capcom WILL NOT accept it because 1) people are not taking it seriously and 2) people can sign it multiple times.

All of this just shows how together but divided the MM fanbase is.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
That example with the cancelled Chrono Trigger thing is absolutely terrible. That was a group of people taking an already made game, and remaking it in 3D. A fan making of Mega Man Legends 3 would only get C&D'd if Capcom decided to be douches about the whole situation. They have made it quite clear that they don't want any part in it, so some other group may as well take the reigns. Hell, if you have to, change some colors and change the name.

As long as the content is there and correct, I don't think too many people will care if you have to lightly change a few things to get the job done.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
jonesman99 said:
M[u said:
ddy]
machomuu said:

I know! Wh I started up Starforce I thought it was going to be fun...and then the battles stared and I was in shock.

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't understand why Capcom wouldn't at least release the prototype first and see how players think about the game. It's like a "see what happens first" situation. Besides, there's nothing to lose over a prototype.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hum i have never played any of them but suck to see a game not see its completion and release after being so hyped and nurtured.. CAPCOM should listen to us fans and customers and renew some old licences like this one, we don't want more updates & ports of your street fighter and resident evil mercenaries BULLCRAP!

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
koimayeul said:
hum i have never played any of them but suck to see a game not see its completion and release after being so hyped and nurtured.. CAPCOM should listen to us fans and customers and renew some old licences like this one, we don't want more updates & ports of your street fighter and resident evil mercenaries BULLCRAP!
Going by that logic, people never wanted the Legends games.
Both Legends games sold worse combined than a single X game in the same era.

And going by sales, people want more updates/ports/rehashes.
The Call of Duty series does better each and every year for instance and it's basically the same game with new maps and a few tweaks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6v3cT3b59A&t=12s