Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
957922_119989.jpg

I am reviewing the Xbox 360 version... just so y'all know.

Overview
----
Red Dead Redemption is a game that takes you over the late Wild West, before it is taken over from sea to shining sea. Taking place in Texas and Mexico, the land is referred to as "New Austin" and "Mexico" (except insert a Mexican Accent for Mexico). The back story is that you (John Marston) are a former outlaw, and the American Government has taken your wife and kid from you. The only way to get them back is to kill a friend that was family that you rode with in the gang. The story is conveyed through a go here, start mission, travel, kill, maim and destroy, then rinse, wash, and repeat type system. Though it is a lack luster way to pull the story, it does have a great story. The place the game really shines is the open world, and what you do can increase your honor or destroy it (bad or good), and both sides have their perks. there are quite a few weapons that help you cut you enemies down. My personal favorite is the bolt action rifle. Each weapon has their specific combat usages. Rifles for mid to long range moving or not. Repeaters for mid to long range, or mid range moving with large ammo capacity. Shotguns for close up. Sniper rifles for long range. Revolvers/Pistols for mid to close range, and quite a few have good amounts of ammo capacity and fire rate.

Honestly there is so much you can do in this game!
----
Graphics
----
This game is in my opinion visually stunning. It's definitely on par with Borderlands. The only glitch I have found, is if you run quickly to a bed to save, you may walk into the middle of the bed and sit.
----
10/10
----
Gameplay
----
This is where the game shines. It's open world for one thing, and has a shit load of random events and quests when just travelling around by horse. There are a lot of mini games to distract you, such as poker, or horseshoes. When you aim, there is a sort of targeting system, that auto aims for your enemy's chest. is you just bump it up a little, you can get a head shot. There are three aim modes: Casual, Normal, Expert. Casual is the easiest to target, normal is less easy, and expert there is just free aim (no auto target). Then there is a little function called Dead Eye, and if you have even watched "Wanted!", you will see that Dead Eye is a similar version of the slow down thing in "Wanted!". This function is extremely useful, allowing for better accuracy, and multiple enemy targeting. There is so much in this game, and there is a stat board there for you statophiles.
----
9/10
----
Story
----
You play as former outlaw John Marston. His family has been kidnapped, and the only way to get them back unharmed is to kill Bill Williamson, a former friend, and family [gang] member. The game plays it out as: go here, travel there, kill, maim, and destroy anything that moves (and sometime stationary objects). Sometimes dull, but the full game play elements keep you interested.
----
7/10
----
Replay Value
----
There is online multi player, and I have checked it out. It is also open world, and there is matches played in a closed map with team mates. Free For All Death Match always starts with a circle shoot out. If by chance you are the last one standing... well, lets just say that's a kick ass feeling. Rockstar did release a Co-Op DLC, but I have not played it yet. I have it on my hard drive, but haven't had friends to play with. Single player has a lot of replay value as well. You can repeat any missions for different medals, and you can continue to roam even after you beat the game.
----
9/10
----

Final Score: 8.75

Reviewer's Score: 10/10

Honestly I have had so much fun playing this game, so I have even more reason to go back when more DLC comes out.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend told me the end of the story, seeing as I'm not done yet, and I was like "FUCK ME SENSELESS THEY CAN'T DO THAT!"

I thought the story was a little better than 7/10, it was only really brought down because almost all Rockstar games start out slow. My friend was talking to me about this. In Saint's Row 2 you start off with a balls-to-the-wall prison escape, shooting down cops left and right in a high speed pursuit. In GTA, it's "Hey, can you drive me here?" for a lot of the missions in the beginning.

I still need to play more multiplayer but some of the co-op stuff is really fun. Like I was just roaming, some guy asked me to join his posse. I did. We meet up on the map, attack a treasure hunter camp, steal the treasure from the mines, then start roaming more. We get to Fort Mercer, attack it, and bring down everyone inside. That's a shit load of fun. If you get enough of your friends online you can get bitch ass fun posses.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
My friend told me the end of the story, seeing as I'm not done yet, and I was like "FUCK ME SENSELESS THEY CAN'T DO THAT!"

I thought the story was a little better than 7/10, it was only really brought down because almost all Rockstar games start out slow. My friend was talking to me about this. In Saint's Row 2 you start off with a balls-to-the-wall prison escape, shooting down cops left and right in a high speed pursuit. In GTA, it's "Hey, can you drive me here?" for a lot of the missions in the beginning.

I still need to play more multiplayer but some of the co-op stuff is really fun. Like I was just roaming, some guy asked me to join his posse. I did. We meet up on the map, attack a treasure hunter camp, steal the treasure from the mines, then start roaming more. We get to Fort Mercer, attack it, and bring down everyone inside. That's a shit load of fun. If you get enough of your friends online you can get bitch ass fun posses.
Exactly Guild. I am sure though, you'll be able to provide a more in depth review when you do it. I love the story, and I just didn't want to bring the game play category down, because that is about perfect. The story is actually very gripping, and once you get to the Marshall it starts heating up real fast like. On the Co-Op subject, did he invite you to his single player game, or the multi player over world?

I did enjoy the game a lot, and that's why I gave my own two cents to the Reviewer Score.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
Exactly Guild. I am sure though, you'll be able to provide a more in depth review when you do it. I love the story, and I just didn't want to bring the game play category down, because that is about perfect. The story is actually very gripping, and once you get to the Marshall it starts heating up real fast like. On the Co-Op subject, did he invite you to his single player game, or the multi player over world?

I did enjoy the game a lot, and that's why I gave my own two cents to the Reviewer Score.

It was in the multiplayer overworld, the "freeroam" mode. Also, you can invite people to your single player? Well I'll be damned. This game gets better the more and more you learn about it.

I just got to the huge plot twist (you should know what I'm talking about). That was by far one of the saddest things I've ever seen. But it was an awesome twist and an awesome follow-up. Still need to find out where to go to finish the game though.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
It was in the multiplayer overworld, the "freeroam" mode. Also, you can invite people to your single player? Well I'll be damned. This game gets better the more and more you learn about it.

I just got to the huge plot twist (you should know what I'm talking about). That was by far one of the saddest things I've ever seen. But it was an awesome twist and an awesome follow-up. Still need to find out where to go to finish the game though.
I didn't think I could, that's why I was asking. Also what mission are you on? I just got finished with the Mexican Army missions. Yes, I still haven't beaten the game yet...
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

I didn't think I could, that's why I was asking. Also what mission are you on? I just got finished with the Mexican Army missions. Yes, I still haven't beaten the game yet...
tongue.gif

I finished the last official mission and I did the truly last mission (which is a "Stranger Mission" technically but once you beast it the credits roll). There's some huge spoilers though. You're about halfway done with the game FYI. After Mexico you go back to Blackwater and after that there's some other stuff, to say the least.

And I don't think you can invite people to your single player, especially since there may be some, erm, "plot inconsistencies" depending on where you are in the game. You'll understand once you beat the final mission.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Sterl500 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

tongue.gif

I finished the last official mission and I did the truly last mission (which is a "Stranger Mission" technically but once you beast it the credits roll). There's some huge spoilers though. You're about halfway done with the game FYI. After Mexico you go back to Blackwater and after that there's some other stuff, to say the least.

And I don't think you can invite people to your single player, especially since there may be some, erm, "plot inconsistencies" depending on where you are in the game. You'll understand once you beat the final mission.
Just did a 3 hour long RDR marathon. I just got back to the farm. xD
Looks like I have quite a few more hours to go, and I still want to 100% this one.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
Just did a 3 hour long RDR marathon. I just got back to the farm. xD
Looks like I have quite a few more hours to go, and I still want to 100% this one.

Well the farm is pretty much the last area although you can do whatever after the main story is completed.

100% completion is all the main missions, all the side missions, all the forts, all the stranger tasks, and all the challenges I think. I spent about 20 hours on the single player and most of the stranger missions alone. Still have about 80% completion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: it pisses me off