Steam Link app now available on iOS, a year after initially being rejected by App Store

35C9F1D2-CA00-466C-8C17-32A7F368A7FA.png

Last year, Valve released the Steam Link app for mobile, allowing users to stream their PC games to their phone or tablet. Except, a week prior to the release of the iOS version, Apple rejected Steam Link, claiming the app broke “multiple guidelines” of the App Store. Shortly after that, it was announced that the two would be working together to eventually release Steam Link on the platform. That process has taken a full year, with Steam Link having just launched for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. The major difference between it and the Android version is that when you stream, Steam’s Big Picture Mode launches, showing you features like store pages, community posts, and more. On iOS, those have been stripped down to only show your game library. All you need for Steam Link to work, is to sign into your Steam account, make sure you’re connected to the same network as your PC, and then you’re ready to go. If you’re looking to stream your games on the go, then you’ll want to look into Steam Link Anywhere, which, coincidentally, is not available on iOS at this time.

:arrow: Source

Gangu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
won't be of too much use to me till steam link anywhere comes to ios, but for now it's great to see this app finally on the app store

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Is Steam Link even good or useful? I don't have it
Say you keep your gaming PC in your living room or office, and want to play in another room of your house--you can do that. And it works quite well, too. I have a little 8bitdo controller for my phone, and sometimes it's fun to just stream something like Shovel Knight or such to it. If you prefer to only game at your PC, then it's not really useful.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At a minimum Apple had issues with being able to buy Steam games within this app without Apple getting to take its 30% share, same as with e-readers. Even though other remote desktop apps including moonlight let you buy games on steam. So for sure they had to remove any ability to buy things at least.

Not sure why they went and took out community stuff but, ever since the discord-like chat update, they replaced big picture chat with the PC interface that is basically unusable at TV distance or smartphone size. So not much was lost there.

Two things this app has over moonlight: 1) AMD card support 2) arbitrary resolutions, particularly useful if you want to set up 4:3 emulators/old games for display on iPad, or in theory ultrawide on the X phones.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Gangu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I gave up hope with this app and just set up Moonlight game stream, which works perfectly fine for all programs. Not just Steam games
moonlight seems interesting, but by the looks of it, it isn't very useful for peeps without a geforce card, like me

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ooh, I didn't know about that "Steam Link Anywhere" feature, I just checked the Steam Link Android app and the "Other Computer" feature is indeed there. Saves me having to use a VPN, so that's nice. At least it will be once PC to PC streaming supports it.
Thanks @Chary :)

I gave up hope with this app and just set up Moonlight game stream, which works perfectly fine for all programs. Not just Steam games
You can add non steam games to Steam.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Minox and Rahkeesh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.