Hacking Starting over again on a Wiiu?

pbcsd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So while cleaning up my son's game room I came across a dusty Wii U. I recall having tried to mod it some time ago and there is a 32gb card in the system with a Haxchi folder in it, but I don't see Homebrew on the device anywhere.

I wanted to mod the unit, but can't recall what or where I left off a couple of years back when I attempted this.

On my unit, at the top right, the Wii U gamepad shows 99.99.99U in the system menu, so not even sure what version I'm on? Any friendly help would be appreciated!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get your actual firmware version via mocha. as for haxchi, are you sure you're not on cbhc? it will say "autobooting" at boot up and you'll be able to play pirated games from the get go.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As above! Also check every page of your menu for an icon that says DON'T TOUCH ME! with a red triangle.

The system menu version 99.99.99 shows that you in a cfw and not the normal stock menu.

pbcsd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As above! Also check every page of your menu for an icon that says DON'T TOUCH ME! with a red triangle.

The system menu version 99.99.99 shows that you in a cfw and not the normal stock menu.

Ah, yes, way at the back it has that icon that says "Don't Touch me". So then it's basically modded and I assume I don't need to update anything.

Do I need to keep the 32gb card in or can I use the slot for some games, etc.

Lastly, where it says "Don't touch me", presumably, I shouldn't click start!?

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's correct. It confirms that you have coldboot haxchi (cbhc) installed which is autobooting directly into the custom firmware (cfw). And yeah, don't touch it!

As @godreborn says, when you power on your wii u you should see the message "autobooting title" followed by the game title id that was used to install cbhc to. Basically this was a paid for ds game that cbhc installs over.

When you see this message you can press the home button to see the cbhc menu and get into the homebrew launcher (hbl) and from here you can see what homebrew apps you can use. I would recommend you get WUP installer GX2 to install some games which can be obtained from Wii U USB Helper in wup format. Basically they go onto your sd cards 'install' fodler to be directly installed to a powered usb device, preferably a hdd.

I should mention here if you do download games, be sure to google the title id you see when the console is powered on as this is the ds game you have used for the mod..... DO NOT download the same game and install it or you will brick the console.

I would recommend you have a read at the below links to familiarise yourself with what i have discussed and also to install a few recommendations.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/cbhc-v1-6-coldboot-haxchi-cfw.452615/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/working-fix-easy-install-wii-u-usb-helper-0-6-1-655.535214/

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-homebrew-app-store-for-wiiu.433275/
You can get apps such as WUP installer from here.

pbcsd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, not sure if links are allowed, but I was going to try a pre-built SD card off of Arcadepunks, basically a 128gb SD card that uses retroarch. Trying to figure out if I need to actually install it, or just put the card into the system.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, not sure if links are allowed, but I was going to try a pre-built SD card off of Arcadepunks, basically a 128gb SD card that uses retroarch. Trying to figure out if I need to actually install it, or just put the card into the system.

depends on the format of the files.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I wouldn't post it here as rom sets are included.

If it's the one I'm looking at (crazy.... person name!) Looks like it's set up so you just insert the sd card and launch the app from hbl.

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

pbcsd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah that's the one.

So what I don't get is that with my Wii, I see Homebrew in the menu options. But on my WiiU, I don't see it anywhere, so can't launch anything from hbl.

When launching the WiiU, it simply says "autoboot", but pressing any of the buttons on the WiiU Gamepad does nothing?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're probably using cbhc then if it says "autoboot." the only way to start over is to undo cbhc with its installer, reformat, then manually remove the ticket for the haxchi game. I have a tutorial on that. formatting the system won't delete it.

pbcsd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Saw the tutorial in your sig. The first step after downloading a file is "Next, open the homebrew launcher using your favorite entry point", which I am not sure how to do?

pbcsd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there one on here you recommend? Have tried several, and nothing seems to work?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/list-of-web-hosts-for-homebrew-exploit.429943/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay, missed the part about hitting the Home button when I see autoload. However, when I do that, I can select HomeBrewLauncher, and then just get a "-3" on the screen?

pbcsd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BTW, looks like what I'm trying to use is already linked on this site:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-wii-u-retroarch-ultimate-build.549063/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So copied from the apps folder all the apps there into the apps folder on the card I have the retroarch ultimate build, including homebrew launcher. But still get a odd -4 when I launch it. Are there items outside of just the folders in the app directory that need to be copied over?

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Be sure to use the correct apps folder.....

sd/wii u/apps

If the vWii has been modded you will have an apps folder on your sd root (sd/apps) which is for vWii apps only.

Reactions: godreborn

pbcsd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, figured that part out, I formatted to FAT32, but for it to work at to choose a cluster size of 32. Going to try again later today.

In the mean time, appears I'm on Homebrew 1.4. I tried loading Mocha, but just goes back to the main screen, so no idea what firmware I'm on for the Wii U.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, figured that part out, I formatted to FAT32, but for it to work at to choose a cluster size of 32. Going to try again later today.

In the mean time, appears I'm on Homebrew 1.4. I tried loading Mocha, but just goes back to the main screen, so no idea what firmware I'm on for the Wii U.

mocha is supposed to do that. it returns you to the home screen after loading. you did get the mocha splash screen, correct? after you're back on the home screen, go into system settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife