StarCraft 2 Sold 1.5 Million Units in 48 Hours

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 1,506
  • Replies 10
D

Deleted_171835

OP

It turns out a lot of people were really excited about StarCraft 2. Blizzard has announced that the almost farcically high demand for the long-awaited sequel translated to global sales of 1 million units in the game's first 24 hours of release, with the number swelling to 1.5 million units after the first 48 hours.
According to Blizzard, this makes StarCraft 2 the fastest-selling strategy game of all-time. "We're pleased that so many people around the world have already picked up a copy of the game, and we look forward to welcoming even more players to Battle.net in the weeks and months ahead," said Blizzard head Mike Morhaime in a statement.

GameStop was also highly pleased with the launch, as the retail chain's VP, Bob McKenzie, said it was their fastest-selling PC game since (surprise) World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King in 2008.

Sure, Modern Warfare 2's first-day sales of 4.7 million units (3.8 million in the U.S. alone) last year still dwarfs StarCraft 2's, but consider that 1) Modern Warfare 2 was released on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, and 2) StarCraft 2 is, again, a real-time strategy game -- a genre that hasn't ever exactly penetrated the zeitgeist of modern gaming the same way first-person shooters did.

[/p]
That's quite a bit but that's to be expected. After all, it's a new Starcraft game!
icon11.gif
Source

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
we sold out within hours of opening that morning
and people only came to us after eb had sold out ;p

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Eh, I'm pretty sure DQIX sold more than that in 48 hours when it launched last year. And that is only on one territory.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was a bit low too, especially with all the pre-orders and stuff. Plus it's not like people were to forget about this game, so first day sales should account for a lot.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
there were rumors that the new AP will be somewhat retarded so most people waited to see what that is. Turns out that the 1.5M victims fell for the worst AP ever lived. WTF?!! You MUST BE online to be able to play OFFLINE??? WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ABOUT???

I was so hyped but I waited to see what SC2 is all about

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: so i can rest peacefully