Switch has sold 1.5 million units in its first week

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Xzi, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Last edited by Xzi, Mar 15, 2017
    Sinon likes this.
  2. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Is... is this good? How does this compare to other consoles?

3. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I'd say it's good, considering this is March we're talking about, not November.

4. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    US income tax refund tho. Lol

But yea the sells are good. Themarketing was alot better then most nintendo stuuf

5. Meliodas2255

Meliodas2255 common sense guy

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    it would have helped if they made more consoles at launch.

xile6 and Reecey like this.
  6. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I was wandering just that. They were moaning about the fact they only sold, was it? 800,000 units only in the uk on release date, no where near the amount of PS4's or XboxOne's, they would of sold a lot more, and probably more than PS's & Xbox's, if they had kept up with the demand that was wanted for!. Everyone had literally sold out of pre-ordered units like nearly a month before the actual release date! so why are they comparing when the figures are touching 1.9mill near the end of March, it doesn't make sense? I would of thought shifting 1.5million units into just 12 days of release is bloody good going. I didn't see the unit advertised on the tv much but for Reggie Fils & Shigeru Miyamoto going around doing there party acts on tv episodes was quite entertaining and done way better than previous consoles in my opinion..

Last edited by Reecey, Mar 15, 2017
  7. WiiuGold

WiiuGold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2015
    Next shipment for the switch is MARCH 31 to a lot of stores. Nintendo said !

8. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    That's quite a wait really, just goes to show the back log..

9. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I don't think so, since they didn't sell through their entire stock in pre-orders and day one buys. Two million units is more than enough for the expected demand of a March release.

10. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    I mean it's good, but the Wii u sold 3.06 million units in the first month, so it looks like the first month sales are going to be roughly the same.

11. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Wii U also sold in November.

12. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    And Nintendo Switch pre-orders started in January.

13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It's pretty much around the same number the PS4 and the XBOne sold during their first week, so it's pretty good. I think the XBone was at around 1-1.5 mil in it's first week, and the PS4 was 2 mil or so in it's first week thanks to that whole "1 million sales in 24 hours" thing. So it's basically smack dab in the middle, which is nice.

WiiuGold likes this.
  14. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    When a new Console is released everyone wants to be the first cool kid who got it so it is just normal that there are lots of units sold in the beginning ...
    I think the more impoartant time will be after the first 2-3 month ! If there are still people who want to buy it than it could be good for nintendo, but if most people are either pissed because of problems or missing games by this time it could become a disaster.

sarkwalvein likes this.
  15. WiiuGold

WiiuGold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2015
    I think April will be a big sale too . Because you got two big games coming out for the system

16. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I only gave it a quick googling but I dunno where that figure came from. It sounds like the Wii U didn't sell anywhere near that amount worldwide in the first month. Its launch was 'okay', followed by steadily worsening sales until it died off like 2 years ago.

17. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yea i posted that somewhere. Gamestop email me on the 5 or 6th. Saying they got a $600 bundle due to ship by 4/12/17 then the next day that change to 3/30.

It seems like a long wait but not really. After this shipment they should be fully stock in stores getting them in weekly. MK8 is coming out and Nintendo knows they will need systems.

And speaking of MK8 gamestop website says there sold out. Makes no sense.

18. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    not as good.

also nintendo dont count when comparing last console sales is that this has to compete against wii u and 3ds sales combined.

with the switch been both a home console and portable.

i showed figures of UK which back then were far from anything the wii u + 3DS did, and someone picked at that figure had increased a measly 5K since i looked, which still in the UK falls short and nothing near its rivals.

19. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

CTRL + F : "Sales", look at the charts.

Which is my point exactly, the launch is purely hype, we can't base success simply on launch sales.

Last edited by Ra1d, Mar 15, 2017