The PlayStation 4 has surpassed 100 million units sold

W7i7EWtp6wWhdTvHwTKfYY-320-80.jpg

Though the dawn of the next console generation is quickly approaching, that isn't stopping the massive sales power of the PlayStation 4 system. After just over 5-and-a-half years, Sony's PlayStation 4 has reached a milestone sales figure: 100 million units sold. The PlayStation 4 now holds the record for being the fastest home console to sell 100 million systems, taking just 5 years and 7 months, as opposed to the previous record-holder, the PlayStation 2, which sold 100 million after 5 years and 9 months. In Sony's recent sales briefing, the company also mentions that digital game sales have overtaken physical sales, with digital game purchase making up just over 50% of PS4 game sales as of June 2019. Given these sales numbers, the PlayStation 4 will likely surpass the Nintendo Wii's sales of 101.63 million sold, and become the 5th best-selling game console of all time.

:arrow: Source

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not particularly surprising as Sony has had no real competition in the dedicated home console market this generation. Wii U was a concept with niche appeal, the marketing was terrible, and it was designed more to compete with PS3/X360. Xbox One has basically the same hardware as PS4, but it also has a garbage UI and zero exclusives. Switch is more a companion device rather than a straight-up replacement for any stationary gaming system.

The dynamic looks like it'll stay the same next generation too, given that the information we have so far suggests Scarlett and PS5 will contain very similar hardware. I honestly don't know why Microsoft is even bothering to release another console, their gaming division should go ahead and transition to a publisher role sooner rather than later.
Sony probably doesn't mind another competitor as it can safeguard them from any anti competitive lawsuit (not sure whether video game console market can be considered a monopoly at this rate though)

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not particularly surprising as Sony has had no real competition in the dedicated home console market this generation. Wii U was a concept with niche appeal, the marketing was terrible, and it was designed more to compete with PS3/X360. Xbox One has basically the same hardware as PS4, but it also has a garbage UI and zero exclusives. Switch is more a companion device rather than a straight-up replacement for any stationary gaming system.

The dynamic looks like it'll stay the same next generation too, given that the information we have so far suggests Scarlett and PS5 will contain very similar hardware. I honestly don't know why Microsoft is even bothering to release another console, their gaming division should go ahead and transition to a publisher role sooner rather than later.

This. If they make another console, I want them to fucking call it the WindowsBox because of how straight and to the point it is considering they are selling some of their exclusives (including Killer Instinct 3 with all of the characters) on Steam. Steam! A competing distribution chain! And people think the end of using anything that isn't Windows Store trash on Windows is nigh when not even Microsoft seems to be supporting the damn thing anymore!

Now, can they stop installing Candy Crush on my PC? Why the fuck would I play that when, if I really wanted to play it (
I don't
), I'd pull out my smartphone that yes, Blizzard, I do have, nice try at damage control, and play the microtransaction-infested game myself!

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
halo is coming to pc all games lol and titanfal2 was multiplat already and titanfal one is basicaly deserted by now.

Is Titanfall 2 a night cricket show as well these days? I remember playing the first one on the XB1 at an acquaintance's house and liking how snappy the movement was in addition to a game where you're controlling a mech that doesn't feel like controlling a fucking tank unlike some mech games *coughs* Armored Core *coughs*.

71r3n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With or Without pro?
But to be honest: Who cares? It was succelsfull, and thats all that mathers. ^^

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I personally think it’s a flop considering the PlayStation 4’s been out since 2013! is classed as the next generation console and had two revisions next to its name.

Well, it is either that, or paying $700 and $800 for better hardware early on, Sony simply went with the times and upgraded the hardware as soon as they could provide something better for not a lot of additional $$$, much like MS did and much like Nintendo will do with the next Switch iteration that will use a better processor. 100 million units since 2013 is a flop since when also? You are forgetting that consoles are more expensive today, people now own more than 1 and there was a crunch pretty much worldwide. The PS2 was also sold quite a lot more since it died, so dont judge against the ps2 to judge this as a flop.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Really!? XD I want to see the numbers on that! That's fucking hilarious if that's the case! Just goes to show how badly M$ screwed up whatever momentum they had from the 360. I felt like I was the only kid in school with a PS3 back before the 8th generation of consoles were literally being teased and coming out later on the year of my graduation. I got a PS3 because back then, I valued any money I had earned, and my older brother went through Xbox 360's like one goes through car oil changes; red rings, overheating, a modded version of the second main model of the 360, and then finally, the last version which seemed to have fixed the issue entirely. I said "fuck that, I want to play God of War if I can sneak it into my house without said older brother/parents noticing (all of my older brothers and their wives share the same "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" mindset as my parents do, and said older brother knew of the...tantalizing parts in God of War which is why he never got it for PS2 even though the family goes to church every Sunday/Wednesday to worship a book that has a sub-book within it with very spicy content known as the Song of Solomon)", never did, but now that I have a PC that can run RPCS3 maybe not perfectly, but far better than what an i5-4690k could do, it feels like my PC can only do everything, just like the marketing tagline for the PS3 on the box!

this video will now be my ringtone. thank u

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

inb4, Just Dance will probably still release on the PS4 in 2030 :toot:.
like just dance 2020 being released on the Wii, not the WiiU, not the PS3, not the 360, but the Wii!

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I am glad it will beat Wii. I totally hate that console because being too gimmicky and full of shovelware. couldn't even play mario galaxy through normal way without a muscle strain.
Then you must not have realized that
-your Wiimote hand can rest on an armrest or lab
-you do not need to swing hard
I once played a Wii game for almost 20h non-stop and never had muscle strain.

Anyway I'm not surprised about PS4. All home console Playstations have been extremely successful.

Reactions: banjo2

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Anyway I'm not surprised about PS4. All home console Playstations have been extremely successful.
i agree with you.
its a little motion, the only game that i think that would require people to swing hard would be the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series.

unfortunately the vita didnt sell that much.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
i agree with you.
its a little motion, the only game that i think that would require people to swing hard would be the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series.
I've only played the Winter games game and don't remember having to do large motions.

But Red Steel 2 definitively had the player swing quite far and fast for the hard hits. It could be adjusted in the menu though, if I remember correctly. BTW awesome game. Too bad Red Steel 3 never came out - the developers talked about possibly including multiplayer... can you imagine the awesomeness of Red Steel 2 in VS multiplayer? The universe would come to an end... but instead, the Wiimote came to an end. :cry: (Let's keep it alive :yaywii:)

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've only played the Winter games game and don't remember having to do large motions.

But Red Steel 2 definitively had the player swing quite far and fast for the hard hits. It could be adjusted in the menu though, if I remember correctly. BTW awesome game. Too bad Red Steel 3 never came out - the developers talked about possibly including multiplayer... can you imagine the awesomeness of Red Steel 2 in VS multiplayer? The universe would come to an end... but instead, the Wiimote came to an end. :cry: (Let's keep it alive :yaywii:)
winter games didnt have that much.
but, oh boy, 2008 and 2012 the normal events, some of em are pure waggling.
i never played red steel tho.
i love the wii remote. its not the best controller by a long shot, but i love it.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Gotta play Red Steel 2. Best Beat'em Up - FPS mix ever.
And I would still disagree: The Wiimote (+Nunchuk) is the best controller. The pointer outcompetes any stick and the missing 2nd stick can be replaced via pointer, D-pad, or tilt sensors.

The design isn't perfect though. The black prototype on the left has a better button layout.
wii-star-controller-prototype-designs.jpg

Reactions: alivebacon

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And I would still disagree: The Wiimote (+Nunchuk) is the best controller. The pointer outcompetes any stick and the missing 2nd stick can be replaced via pointer, D-pad, or tilt sensors.
yeah too bad it was only really used properly in 3 games and that is the metroid prime trilogy. any other game you were either flicking or shaking the mote or twirling it around to do some lame gimmicky shit. that's why skyward sword was so bad. and i can name a dozen other games that had terrible controls one comes to mind rampage total destruction if you want a sore AF wrist from slamming the mote down go ahead and play that i dare you!

Reactions: alivebacon

alivebacon

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am glad it will beat Wii. I totally hate that console because being too gimmicky and full of shovelware. couldn't even play mario galaxy through normal way without a muscle strain.

Good system, way better than the Xbox One
I think you're getting salty. People can have opinions that do not match yours.
Before you counter my argument, you're implying that both consoles are outright bad, which they aren't.

yeah too bad it was only really used properly in 3 games and that is the metroid prime trilogy. any other game you were either flicking or shaking the mote or twirling it around to do some lame gimmicky shit. that's why skyward sword was so bad. and i can name a dozen other games that had terrible controls one comes to mind rampage total destruction if you want a sore AF wrist from slamming the mote down go ahead and play that i dare you!
Wii Sports Resort was cool, but the need for a MotionPlus is annoying.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
yeah too bad it was only really used properly in 3 games
In about a hundred games.

and that is the metroid prime trilogy. any other game you were either flicking or shaking the mote or twirling it around to do some lame gimmicky shit.
Metroid Prime 3 also had what you call gimmicky shit.

that's why skyward sword was so bad. and i can name a dozen other games that had terrible controls one comes to mind rampage total destruction if you want a sore AF wrist from slamming the mote down go ahead and play that i dare you!
I can do that tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)