The PlayStation 4 has surpassed 100 million units sold

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 30, 2019.

1. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Sony probably doesn't mind another competitor as it can safeguard them from any anti competitive lawsuit (not sure whether video game console market can be considered a monopoly at this rate though)

2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    This. If they make another console, I want them to fucking call it the WindowsBox because of how straight and to the point it is considering they are selling some of their exclusives (including Killer Instinct 3 with all of the characters) on Steam. Steam! A competing distribution chain! And people think the end of using anything that isn't Windows Store trash on Windows is nigh when not even Microsoft seems to be supporting the damn thing anymore!

Now, can they stop installing Candy Crush on my PC? Why the fuck would I play that when, if I really wanted to play it (
    SPOILER WARNING!
    ), I'd pull out my smartphone that yes, Blizzard, I do have, nice try at damage control, and play the microtransaction-infested game myself!

3. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Then you shouldn't waste Yr time posting in a thread yr not interested in

4. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    Is Titanfall 2 a night cricket show as well these days? I remember playing the first one on the XB1 at an acquaintance's house and liking how snappy the movement was in addition to a game where you're controlling a mech that doesn't feel like controlling a fucking tank unlike some mech games *coughs* Armored Core *coughs*.

5. 71r3n

71r3n GBAtemp Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    With or Without pro?
    But to be honest: Who cares? It was succelsfull, and thats all that mathers. ^^

6. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    Well, it is either that, or paying $700 and $800 for better hardware early on, Sony simply went with the times and upgraded the hardware as soon as they could provide something better for not a lot of additional $$$, much like MS did and much like Nintendo will do with the next Switch iteration that will use a better processor. 100 million units since 2013 is a flop since when also? You are forgetting that consoles are more expensive today, people now own more than 1 and there was a crunch pretty much worldwide. The PS2 was also sold quite a lot more since it died, so dont judge against the ps2 to judge this as a flop.

7. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2016
    Madagascar
    inb4, Just Dance will probably still release on the PS4 in 2030 :toot:.

8. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    this video will now be my ringtone. thank u

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

like just dance 2020 being released on the Wii, not the WiiU, not the PS3, not the 360, but the Wii!

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    they should have renamed it to Just Wii :creep:

alivebacon likes this.
  10. Stealphie

Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    Wii Deluxe Set + Just Dance 2999 with DLC for Tetris Party

alivebacon likes this.
  11. UltraDolphinRevolution

UltraDolphinRevolution GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    Then you must not have realized that
    -your Wiimote hand can rest on an armrest or lab
    -you do not need to swing hard
    I once played a Wii game for almost 20h non-stop and never had muscle strain.

Anyway I'm not surprised about PS4. All home console Playstations have been extremely successful.

banjo2 likes this.
  12. Stealphie

Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    i agree with you.
    its a little motion, the only game that i think that would require people to swing hard would be the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series.

unfortunately the vita didnt sell that much.

13. UltraDolphinRevolution

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    I've only played the Winter games game and don't remember having to do large motions.

But Red Steel 2 definitively had the player swing quite far and fast for the hard hits. It could be adjusted in the menu though, if I remember correctly. BTW awesome game. Too bad Red Steel 3 never came out - the developers talked about possibly including multiplayer... can you imagine the awesomeness of Red Steel 2 in VS multiplayer? The universe would come to an end... but instead, the Wiimote came to an end. :cry: (Let's keep it alive :yaywii:)

14. Stealphie

Mar 27, 2019
    Brazil
    Rio Grande do Sul
    winter games didnt have that much.
    but, oh boy, 2008 and 2012 the normal events, some of em are pure waggling.
    i never played red steel tho.
    i love the wii remote. its not the best controller by a long shot, but i love it.

15. UltraDolphinRevolution

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    Gotta play Red Steel 2. Best Beat'em Up - FPS mix ever.
    And I would still disagree: The Wiimote (+Nunchuk) is the best controller. The pointer outcompetes any stick and the missing 2nd stick can be replaced via pointer, D-pad, or tilt sensors.

The design isn't perfect though. The black prototype on the left has a better button layout.
    [​IMG]

alivebacon likes this.
  16. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    yeah too bad it was only really used properly in 3 games and that is the metroid prime trilogy. any other game you were either flicking or shaking the mote or twirling it around to do some lame gimmicky shit. that's why skyward sword was so bad. and i can name a dozen other games that had terrible controls one comes to mind rampage total destruction if you want a sore AF wrist from slamming the mote down go ahead and play that i dare you!

alivebacon likes this.
  17. Condarkness_XY

Condarkness_XY GBAtemp Regular

Apr 23, 2018
    United States
    Where I want to be
    Dang! I remember when they said they wanted to get to 80 million units. Well... they passed that mark with flying colors.

alivebacon likes this.
  18. alivebacon

alivebacon GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Spiral Mountain
    I think you're getting salty. People can have opinions that do not match yours.
    Before you counter my argument, you're implying that both consoles are outright bad, which they aren't.

Wii Sports Resort was cool, but the need for a MotionPlus is annoying.

19. UltraDolphinRevolution

Jul 30, 2016
    China
    In about a hundred games.

Metroid Prime 3 also had what you call gimmicky shit.

I can do that tomorrow and let you know how it went.

20. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    have fun breaking your wrist :lol: