Star Fox Zero delayed to Spring 2016

star-fox-zero-header.jpg

Today, Shigeru Miyamoto announced that the release date for the Wii U title will be pushed back. Miyamoto says the game could technically be released at this point, but he wants to spend more time polishing the gameplay and cutscenes. Is it a wise choice to delay one of the Wii U's few big holiday titles?

:arrow: Source

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, well, looks like I'll be playing even more of Star Fox: Event Horizon to get my SF fix for a while. I'm not gonna complain though, SFEH is shaping up to be an excellent game and I always welcome more polish in a first-party Nintendo title.

That's... really interesting. I browsed the site for a bit and might even give it a poking. The fact that it even acknowledges Cerinia makes it interesting to me. Nevermind the fact that it's actually pivotal in their storyline. Like, Nintendo needs to be thinking along THESE lines for their game development for something like Star Fox. What type of story can we make to really WOW people, and then from there, find the type of gameplay that best conveys that story in an epic way. Don't sit there and overthink the gameplay because if you make an epic story, the gameplay will come naturally. It doesn't really work too well the other way around and I don't know if they'll ever genuinely realize that. :'(

Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Um.. nobody quoted that famous Miyamoto's line yet? ..no? ..ok

(I'm not gonna do it myself though :P)

I agree with this kind of delays myself ...they are made so that the main priority is the game's quality, not a financial release window, or whatever.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's... really interesting. I browsed the site for a bit and might even give it a poking. The fact that it even acknowledges Cerinia makes it interesting to me. Nevermind the fact that it's actually pivotal in their storyline. Like, Nintendo needs to be thinking along THESE lines for their game development for something like Star Fox. What type of story can we make to really WOW people, and then from there, find the type of gameplay that best conveys that story in an epic way. Don't sit there and overthink the gameplay because if you make an epic story, the gameplay will come naturally. It doesn't really work too well the other way around and I don't know if they'll ever genuinely realize that. :'(
Exactly, which is why I really like the direction Star Fox: Event Horizon is going. Make good gameplay and levels based off a framework, flesh out the story in a natural way. The plan behind the campaign is essentially to cover all the major games from Star Fox 64 to Assault with it's own take on each game's story, finished up by a custom campaign that ties them all together. The demo doesn't have this yet, but many different levels all across the different games are playable in beta forms, and you can see it beginning to fall into place. I really recommend the game for any Star Fox fan with even a half-decent computer, demo or not, as the gameplay is fantastic.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With the same breath you have to say "like the Virtual Boy was a third pillar and failed miserably". In fact, I'd argue that the whole "DS being a third pillar" hooplaloo was all smoke and mirrors anyways - it was natively compatible with GBA games and it was a natural progression of the hardware design judging by the SP, bar the touchscreen which was an experiment. The GBA Micro was never an actual continuation of the Game Boy line to me, rather just a vanity item for collectors. Things were different with the Virtual Boy which was something "new" from the ground up. Anywho, my point is that I get the feeling they want to try something new without burning bridges behind them - if it's adopted by the masses, great, they'll head that direction, if not, they have their older brands to cushion them.
They killed the GBA as soon as the DS started selling, and the GBA was already old as heck by then. They never worked on a proper GBA successor, so the DS became exactly that. They won't be working to a successor to the WiiU, I tell ya.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They killed the GBA as soon as the DS started selling, and the GBA was already old as heck by then. They never worked on a proper GBA successor, so the DS became exactly that. They won't be working to a successor to the WiiU, I tell ya.
What I'm saying is that if NX doesn't pan out well, they might release a traditional console at a later date, just like the GBA was developed after the VR goggle phase of the 90'ties passed and the Virtual Boy concept died. Everything depends on whether or not a concept works - Nintendo is not known for making risky decisions.

Reactions: HaloEffect17
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They're delaying the game because they want to polish it... And because of the cutscenes!?
Weren't they still mad about cutscenes because of what happened with brawl?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're delaying the game because they want to polish it... And because of the cutscenes!?
Weren't they still mad about cutscenes because of what happened with brawl?
I think it was pretty much just Masahiro Sakurai who was upset with what happened with The Subspace Emissary.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What I'm saying is that if NX doesn't pan out well, they might release a traditional console at a later date, just like the GBA was developed after the VR goggle phase of the 90'ties passed and the Virtual Boy concept died. Everything depends on whether or not a concept works - Nintendo is not known for making risky decisions.
Well yeah, I suppose that much was obvious? :P I was just saying that Nintendo can't afford to release YET another console while the NX is around (and fails). The entire "third pillar" thing I was referring to is that they wanted to have _three_ concurrent platforms, if you remember.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*waits for second delay just like Zelda*

So if it gets delayed again, we have Star Fox, Zelda, Pikmin 4, and possibly a 3D Mario at the NX launch. Pikmin 4 is obvious because it's platform hasn't been announced.

Last edited by FusionGamer,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno what images you've been looking at, then. The art style looks clean and simple, but certainly not to the point of using N64-level models and textures.
People have long been using the tired insult of N64 graphics for Nintendo games. People who I doubt have ever even seen an N64.

LegacyYoshi68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well now i have to wait even longer, i am very happy about them polishing up the graphics to make them clean, and that sounds good. :)

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
*waits for second delay just like Zelda*

So if it gets delayed again, we have Star Fox, Zelda, Pikmin 4, and possibly a 3D Mario at the NX launch. Pikmin 4 is obvious because it's platform hasn't been announced.
Honestly, I think that's for the best. The Wii U was lacking titles at launch and it took too long for it to build a significant lineup of games(if you can even call it that). Having more games at the launch of NX will increase the chances of the console being successful.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well duh the game looks like it was made on the ps2
YES! love my PS2!

In all resiousness, any Ninty game is just another gem getting added to my collection.
Do not mind waiting, and saving money for these games.

I think the the nintendo lineup is very good on WiiU. For all other stuff I play 360 and PS4 ( wich lacks good titles severly...)

Last edited by Hielkenator,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES! love my PS2!

In all resiousness, any Ninty game is just another gem getting added to my collection.
Do not mind waiting, and saving money for these games.

I think the the nintendo lineup is very good on WiiU. For all other stuff I play 360 and PS4 ( wich lacks good titles severly...)

So what if the game looks PS2-ish, people say that like it's a bad thing or will somehow be bad by not having the best graphics. Graphics whoring is pure BS. If the game is fun, who cares? Also, to them that hate the graphics, the PS2 was the most successful console, so....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1