works great for me! thanks Prophet!
biggrin.gif

FoulPlay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm..
Problem is with my friends copy, that I have here in my bag. (I'm at another friends staying the night, in-case anyone gets confused on why I can't test it.) is that it's a Verbatim DVD+R DL (Indian) Disk. Do they work correctly sometimes? Or just not all all...? I'm going be seriously pissed off if its not at all, these cost £15 for ten.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Incoming said:
Hi, i checked your ProphSSBB.inf and you seemed to blank everything after 000020d0h, not 00001ed0h. Could you please verify? Thanks

oops, sorry about that. 000020d0h was the last line before the blanks. It contains "64M" (as did 00001ed0h
sleep.gif
)

QUOTE(FoulPlay @ Feb 29 2008, 09:37 PM) Hmm..
Problem is with my friends copy, that I have here in my bag. (I'm at another friends staying the night, in-case anyone gets confused on why I can't test it.) is that it's a Verbatim DVD+R DL (Indian) Disk. Do they work correctly sometimes? Or just not all all...? I'm going be seriously pissed off if its not at all, these cost £15 for ten.

It's not booting? Did you region frii? If so, did you burn at the slowest speed the discs are rated for (2.4x should be it)? I doubt its the disc brand. Keep in mind; even when the game launched in japan there were reports of disc reading errors, something to do with dust and the added strain of reading from a dual layer disc. Add to that the fact that these are burnt discs we are using and frankly I'm surprised these issues don't come up more frequently. However, if you have taken all the appropriated steps, you probably just got a bad burn on your hands, reburn.

cheza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I got just one simple question: Why do you have to use RegionFrii? Afaik WiiKey and Co. should do the regionfree stuff "on default"?!

cya cheza

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cheza said:
I got just one simple question: Why do you have to use RegionFrii? Afaik WiiKey and Co. should do the regionfree stuff "on default"?!

cya cheza

Wiikey, is not regionfree by default. You have to burn a setup disc and enable it. Region frii-ing the iso is just a lot simpler, and this way we don't open the whole "how do I open regions on XXX modchip?" can of worms.

QUOTE(Giga_Gaia @ Mar 1 2008, 01:21 AM) what's the point of doing that since 3.2U is out? 3.1J is older so it won't update

I'm not certain, that's how it works.
unsure.gif
Can anyone confirm? and has 3.2 hit europe yet?

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It doesn't update the system, but it might still update the channels. After all, it does not detect the most recent version of the japanese channels.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Us Australian's can get the 3.2E update, so I'd assume other European consoles can. I'm staying on 3.1E just to be safe though... It shouldn't brick should it?

aaa2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question:
Why don't you just make a ppf patch for the iso after changing it so it does not make the dual channel update. This way other people would only have to use the ppf instead of having to work with trucha

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jdbye said:
I'm still waiting for someone to try replacing the region specific files with the same files from your own region (possibly with the same filename, or just change the entry in the inf file)

That would be the safest method, I think.

Not sure this will be completely possible at the moment due to the fact that the file you are replacing must match to the exact same file size as the original unless you want to start corrupting data.

Hence for the moment it's easier to zero the values and leave the base updates in place which do not seem region specific.

QUOTE(gth44331 @ Mar 1 2008, 09:30 PM) Us Australian's can get the 3.2E update, so I'd assume other European consoles can. I'm staying on 3.1E just to be safe though... It shouldn't brick should it?

If you check for updates online, you can in fact update to v3.2E. And no, it seems that running this patched iso will not brick your Wii if you are at least on v3.1E. I can't comment for sure on previous firmwares however...

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aaa2 said:
I have a question:
Why don't you just make a ppf patch for the iso after changing it so it does not make the dual channel update. This way other people would only have to use the ppf instead of having to work with trucha

I believe The necessity of resigning the disc, makes this impossible.

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to confirm I have tried this using bailli's inf patcher using the dual layer caravan release of brawl and can confirm it works great!

The update does run, although it's rather quick and you don't end up with duplicate channels. I have also confirmed you can enter the Wii System Settings, so it does not look like it impacts anything.

For reference I have a PAL Wii on v3.2E. Thanks again to Prophet, bailli and all others that have helped make this possible!

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Prophet said:
aaa2 said:
I have a question:

I believe The necessity of resigning the disc, makes this impossible.

I did a quick compare of a patched Metroid Prime 3 disc yesterday. The ppf ended up at 4MB (containing undo data).
So truch signer patches quite a lot even if you just change a ~10kb file.
I think if you patched an untoched ISO the disc would be signed afterwards since it does match in every byte the
ISO patched using trucha signer.

Maybe I make a ppf patch for SSBB US...

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's my biggest problem now, navigating around the Japanese menus
smile.gif

I'm quite surprised at how easy it really is to modify the iso, the process is quite simple once you have the correct tools.

I also learnt the hard way, burnt the disc too quickly on my DL media and was getting a ton of read errors. Burnt the disc again @ 2.4x and now it's working great.

richardo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great work interpretting the format of the __update.inf ! Has any of this info been placed on a wiki anywhere like the wiidev guys do when they make useful discoveries?

Also as an aside would any of this work be useful in doing selective updates or fooling the console into thinking it didn't require updates? I wonder if games that typically come with updates actually utilise additional firmware functions or whether they simply insist on being on the latest firmware. Perhaps in this way old firmwares e.g ver2.1 could run later games requiring firmware updates using this partial update method.

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
richardo said:
Also as an aside would any of this work be useful in doing selective updates or fooling the console into thinking it didn't require updates? I wonder if games that typically come with updates actually utilise additional firmware functions or whether they simply insist on being on the latest firmware. Perhaps in this way old firmwares e.g ver2.1 could run later games requiring firmware updates using this partial update method.

I'm also curious about this, for instance if you use an update.inf similar to the one that comes with Dragon Ball Z which is very small and only points to a couple of those IOS.wad files. I'm curious how a game like SSBB would react if you were to pull almost all of the updates out of the file (replacing them with zeros of course to maintain the same file size) and then try running it, and if it would still require an update of some sort. My guess is there must be a flag somewhere on the disc that forces the updates to run, as even on the latest Wii software games like SSBB, MP3C and SMG all ran an update, even though it was generally very small and fast. From memory, none of those games caused the Wii software to jump versions either, well at least for me they never incremented the version number in the Wii System Settings, so I'm curious as to what the actual updates provide other than perhaps updates Weather and News channels...

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If I remember correctly the games that require these IOS updates just boot to a
black screen or something similiar if you brickblock them (without 15% trick).
So I would guess that this happens because these IOS updates add a functionality of
some sorts which the game expects/needs to run.

Just to remember: Brickblocker switches the first partition with a partition
form a game that doesn't contain updates. So essentially it would be the same
if you would "delete" all updates form the update.inf.

EDIT: According to wiibrew IOS is the OS that runs on the ARM coprocessor (Starlet) inside
Hollywood and is used to access most of the system devices. So my guess is that the game
needs a new or enhanced API to a system resource and this is added by the IOS update.
If you do not apply it before you boot the game it will crash because it tries to access some
wii hardware in a way the current OS on Starlet doesn't understand...

BTW that makes me really doubt the 100% promise of the Wii Freeloader...

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a great explanation bailli thanks!

What I'm curious about however is whether eventually these IOS updates that ship on discs will appear as part of a Wii Software Update. I guess there's no need really, Nintendo probably have the opinion that only customers who need those IOS updates for specific games get them. I also wonder if future IOS updates also contain ones from previous releases, ie if you ran the SSBB IOS update and then put in SMG whether that would also need to run it's IOS update? (assuming you had never run either of these discs before)

It's a very interesting topic, one I'm sure we'll know more about as the scene make progress towards true Wii Homebrew...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    im sure half the responses won't be literal racial slurs or "drop table" jokes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Look, it's China. They know what it's like when you give a poll to half a billion trolls.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much dollar do you think it is?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    ONE MILLION DOLLA
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I know the pricing of electronics nowadays isn't "how much it actually costs" but "how much we can get away with", but putting up a poll is just cynical.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably $150 someone said Anbernic said around the same price as rg556
    you know which game i wish they would rerelease
    sonic unleashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make it a happy meal toy
    that game's engine is really fucking intensive so it runs like literal shit on xbox 360 and ps3
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah I'm getting value creep again. I look at a $50 console "but for just a few more dollars you could get XYZ" and I end up considering the Steam Deck.
    +1
    like the lighting in that game was genuinely so good
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not getting dragged into that again.
    i dont get why they didn't port the one game that ran the worst on consoles, to pc
    like you port everything to pc except the one game where it would make the most sense. why. what do you gain from this
    is sega just personally fucking with me? are they laughing while watching me through my kinect camera as i get up to restart my xbox for the third time because the game froze again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Buy handhelds from five below better quality
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Valve probably going to do another refresh of the deck this fall with rog ally like specs tbh
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A smaller form factor would be nice too.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The big leap in all things tech is when carbon based chips start hitting.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [checks my dildo(s) batteries, coolant and lube] :O [promptly replaces them] :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [checks my batteries, coolant and lube] :O [promptly replaces them] :D