Square Enix to re-release Final Fantasy VII?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted_171835

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted-236924

so if they have just repackaged it why won't people just buy the older release? it's the same thing anyway and is on physical media and not a digital download, if they added anything new like better graphics and extras to the story then yes it's worth a purchase and they should release it on consoles too.
They'd probably make it more compatible with Windows 7, right now it's a bitch to get it running on anything over Windows 98.
I guess I never noticed the bitch part.
Installed normally, no tweaks to be done, works perfectly.
64-bits windows btw

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All you need to run the game on modern PCs is Aali's Custom Graphics Driver.
Fixes all bugs and enables higher resolutions. It also adds mod support.
There is also a loader to replace the music with the original audio files from the PSX version or a remastered soundtrack of your choice.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so if they have just repackaged it why won't people just buy the older release? it's the same thing anyway and is on physical media and not a digital download, if they added anything new like better graphics and extras to the story then yes it's worth a purchase and they should release it on consoles too.
They'd probably make it more compatible with Windows 7, right now it's a bitch to get it running on anything over Windows 98.
64-bits windows btw

It is an absolute mystery as to what makes it work or not work. Two rigs, exact same setup, both running 98 - one plays it fine, another doesn't. Two of the same, both running fresh installs of XP, neither run it. Two running 7, one runs it, the other doesn't. There's no science to it, it's all luck.

Back when I first bought it (win98), I ran through the game with only crash, perfect. A month later I tried to play again - always crashed at the same part, impossible to advance. My buddy got it running on his XP setup fine... but a year later when he reinstalled the game it wouldn't work. Meanwhile it was years before I got a setup where it would run again.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
64-bits windows btw
That's funny, cuz it doesn't run on mine even with the custom driver. The game is just too buggy and a rerelease would hopefully fix those.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope Square-Enix considers hi-res pre-rendered backgrounds, better encoded FMVs and non-midi BGM (preferably ogg).
Well there is a mod that replaces the crappy emulated music with the actual game PSF music files.
Playing psf files is actually closer to emulation, than what they did before.
Psf files are pretty much midi files for the PlayStation. They simply converted them into midi sound, since there was no way to play those files before.
Now we have a unofficial ways to play those files.

However there was a way to get the original sound of the songs. If you had a SoundBlaster AWE the game could upload a soundfont that uses the original instruments. There are a few instruments that were replaced with better ones though. I heard even the choir in One Winged Angel worked that way. (I have a retro PC that has the perfect hardware to run Final Fantasy VII, but I don't have a savegame before the boss fight, so I couldn't verify if the choir really works.)

P

pasc

Well FFVII was a nice game no doubt, the only PS1 game I ever played and finished... (well I plan to play the followup... but whatever).

Square Enix should just go ahead and not re-release it, wait till they face bankcrupt again - then release it and rise from the ashes due to tremendous income.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well FFVII was a nice game no doubt, the only PS1 game I ever played and finished... (well I plan to play the followup... but whatever).

Square Enix should just go ahead and not re-release it, wait till they face bankcrupt again - then release it and rise from the ashes due to tremendous income.

I used to joke about how they were gonna do that, but I actually think FFVII is over the hill in terms of how much revenue the original can generate. Too bad FFVII wasn't released in our current era of 'enhanced remakes', where they could make like, "FFVII: The Golden" and rake in 1 bajillion dollars.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc