Square Enix accidentally releases update for Final Fantasy IX that deletes the game entirely

header (5).jpg

It looks like someone over at Square Enix accidentally pushed out an update for the Steam version of Final Fantasy IX. What does this update do? Well, it deletes the game entirely, for anyone that was unfortunate enough to download the latest patch. SteamDB shows that an update for the game went out early on April 2nd that does nothing more than remove every asset and file from the game, rendering it unplayable. Presumably, a fix will be out imminently to undo this, and when that happens, you can expect an update within this news post.

:arrow: Source

James_

aka Viator_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by James_,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that sure will confuse the younger site members :rofl2::rofl2:
the worst part about this is that the ACTUAL final fantasy iii (which we never officially got until the remakes) is pretty darn good aside from the endgame portion

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How the fk you all this and you say not pld a FF game lol
common knowledge to gamers at this point lol

Reactions: James_

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can thank the Angry Video Game Nerd later.

You still gave it 7/10.

You know what else got 7/10?
You know i can simply change it to 10/10 just for saying that. :creep:

My point, is the numbers don't speak louder than words. Context exist in reviews for a reason. Otherwise, it would be no point to someone spending hours making one. :)

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know i can simply change it to 10/10 just for saying that. :creep:

My point, is the numbers don't speak louder than words. Context exist in reviews for a reason. Otherwise, it would be no point to someone spending hours making one. :)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is the perfect game to give to someone that has never played a JRPG in their life and/or is below the age of seven. That is all I need to say on the matter.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's a weird way to spell Crisis Core
It's also a weird way to spell III DS

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is the perfect game to give to someone that has never played a JRPG in their life and/or is below the age of seven. That is all I need to say on the matter.
I agree. Was basically a "Training RPG" for players who wasn't used to the genre. Featuring a simplified gameplay that helps convey the basic concepts of the genre. Though I think a remake that modernizes it for current generation of rpg games would be nice. They are more common world wide now and still some are too intimidating and overwhelming to players for how much has expanded since the last 20 years. :ninja:

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. Was basically a "Training RPG" for players who wasn't used to the genre. Featuring a simplified gameplay that helps convey the basic concepts of the genre. Though I think a remake that modernizes it for current generation of rpg games would be nice. They are more common world wide now and still some are too intimidating and overwhelming to players for how much has expanded since the last 20 years. :ninja:
Yeah, although Mystic Quest being the training wheel of Final Fantasy is a double-edged sword. Even at the time, it was simplified to a point where as a game made for the US and Europe it felt like they thought we were idiots. However, it does have some value.
If it gets a remake, it should be given a difficulty select. "Easier" would be the original, "Easy" would be the original but things were tweaked to be slightly less pathetic or hand-holdy (the Cure overflow glitch that trivializes the final boss would be fixed, partner levels would be decreased so they aren't as OP, item chests wouldn't respawn loot, etc.), "Normal" would be harder, "Hard" would be standard Final Fantasy difficulty and upon beating "Hard" you'd unlock "Harder", where it's actually... difficult.
And the translation and whatnot would probably be redone to make everything less obvious sounding. Especially the area names. "Windia"? "Level Forest"? "Alive Forest"? REALLY?

Overall, it had some good ideas, like weapon weaknesses and overworld weapon usage. A remake may be the way to fix its reputation in the FF community and turn it into "a pretty good beginner's Final Fantasy game" instead of "Final Fantasy but for the idiots Square assumed we were".

Speaking of remakes, you know what would be great? Modern HD remakes of Final Fantasy I, II and III (the actual first three on the NES) that give you two extra options to turn on or off at any time- switching from modern to classic graphics, and switching from modern to classic gameplay. The original trilogy (especially I) are hilariously broken and buggy, and II's original mechanics just suck in how they were implemented. "Modern" gameplay would basically fix all the major glitches (except things like the Peninsula of Power that are so fondly remembered the other remakes have kept them) and apply the standard level up system to II instead of II's... horribly implemented stat growth system. "Classic" would be exactly what it sounds like- the level ups and gameplay are just like in the original, brokenness and all.

Last edited by Plasmaster09,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It looks like someone over at Square Enix accidentally pushed out an update for the Steam version of Final Fantasy IX. What does this update do? Well, it deletes the game entirely, for anyone that was unfortunate enough to download the latest patch. SteamDB shows that an update for the game went out early on April 2nd that does nothing more than remove every asset and file from the game, rendering it unplayable. Presumably, a fix will be out imminently to undo this, and when that happens, you can expect an update within this news post.

:arrow: Source
Did they keep their saves?

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should stop drinking so much. IX is one of the best. I think you meant VIII.
XIII* you mean? As someone that actually has XIII III (I never got the other two and I am very glad about that), I'll also admit it's very, very... not good. It's still better than the original Final Fantasy II (not US II which is actually IV, JP II which is actually II and was on the original Famicom) by a mile though lol.
VIII on the other hand... from what I've heard, it seems it's basically diet VII.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overall, it had some good ideas, like weapon weaknesses and overworld weapon usage. A remake may be the way to fix its reputation in the FF community and turn it into "a pretty good beginner's Final Fantasy game" instead of "Final Fantasy but for the idiots Square assumed we were".
I mean it may have been flawed in some bugs and perhaps it was a bit to simplistic for being too straight forward. I guess they could have done better. But is not like they knew how to or where to begin in teaching a outside about the genre. So they just took the linear approach. Honestly if they did do a remake, the game could be modified base on the deconstruction of how linear it is.

A good example is probably not a difficulty modifier, but a gameplay modifier. Instead of Easy, normal, or hard. Something similar to Mega man Zero/Zx collection "Easy Scenario" Where it basically modifies the gameplay for players who just want to experience the story. Then deconstruct it from there into "adventure mode" reducing how straight forward it is to having some complicated puzzles or less telling you what to do to focus more on talking to NPC and exploring.

Deconstructing it more could lead to flexibility and depth in combat by giving enemies new weakness or battle strategies that wasn't originally there. (just to keep it close to modern rpg) Then it can deconstruct further into something similar to rogue like or "Randomizer" where it can change the loot you get from chest, enemies you encounter, where they placed on the map and so on, for extra challenge and replay value. :unsure:

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it may have been flawed in some bugs and perhaps it was a bit to simplistic for being too straight forward. I guess they could have done better. But is not like they knew how to or where to begin in teaching a outside about the genre. So they just took the linear approach. Honestly if they did do a remake, the game could be modified base on the deconstruction of how linear it is.

A good example is probably not a difficulty modifier, but a gameplay modifier. Instead of Easy, normal, or hard. Something similar to Mega man Zero/Zx collection "Easy Scenario" Where it basically modifies the gameplay for players who just want to experience the story. Then deconstruct it from there into "adventure mode" reducing how straight forward it is to having some complicated puzzles or less telling you what to do to focus more on talking to NPC and exploring.

Deconstructing it more could lead to flexibility and depth in combat by giving enemies new weakness or battle strategies that wasn't originally there. (just to keep it close to modern rpg) Then it can deconstruct further into something similar to rogue like or "Randomizer" where it can change the loot you get from chest, enemies you encounter, where they placed on the map and so on, for extra challenge and replay value. :unsure:
heck, maybe they could rework some aspects of the game entirely to make it more akin to classic final fantasy (like having a party size greater than TWO) but add the original style as an option

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did they ever fix the looping of the overworld music in IX? That seemed to be one of the big things people didn't like about the new release.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they ever fix the looping of the overworld music in IX? That seemed to be one of the big things people didn't like about the new release.
At the moment, there is no looping of the overworld music.
Because there is no overworld music.
Because there is no overworld.
Because currently, there is no game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You can't get the smell of my dick out of your mom either