Gaming Splatoon

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I predict the vast majority of people here saying that they are going to skip the game end up buying it within the first month of release.

Not me, though. I've actively said I'm going to skip Mario Party 10 and I'm not buying that either due to the amiibo DLC lock in of content. I've cancelled my Mario Party 10 preorder as well. I've skipped quite a few games for whatever small reason I can't live with. Thankfully money is a finite resource so this is good for me in the long run. (Who has money to buy $40-60 games all the time?)

This could've been Nintendo's attempt to bring some Super Mario Sunshine kind of magic back, but Splatoon seems lame. I expect 7/10 IGN, maybe 81/100 Metacritic and 35/40 Famitsu. And 2/10 from shinkodachi.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I predict the vast majority of people here saying that they are going to skip the game end up buying it within the first month of release.

With Xenoblade and Zelda 2015 it'll be tough for Splatoon to even compete against them, heck, it'll possibly tank in sales like Devil's Third.

It depends on how your camera is situated, especially in 3rd person. If the camera is not looking at you from directly behind, its incredibly awkward to try and aim and so auto aim makes sense even in the newer GTAs. If you constantly keep the camera directly behind you or are playing in 1st person for the current gen versions of GTA V, then yeah, the ability to aim on your own makes more sense, it just depends on the situation. I personally prefer auto aiming in GTA.

GTA IV with the auto-aim was too easy and predictable but after turning it off it made shooting a lot more enjoyable since I'd aim exactly where I'd want.

D

Deleted User

Splatoon is gamepad only? BIG FAIL by Nintendo.

I was interested not anymore, i dunno why they still force people to use this fisher price tablet for games.

Reactions: shinkodachi

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
GTA IV with the auto-aim was too easy and predictable but after turning it off it made shooting a lot more enjoyable since I'd aim exactly where I'd want.
It should be an option. Let people play however they want. Does someone playing with a Wii U Pro Controller have an edge over someone playing with a Wii Wheel in Mario Kart 8? It's certainly much easier to throw items and drift with a Wii U Pro Controller, but who cares, I'm still going to beat you with my plasticky Wii Wheel. Same principle here. Let me play with a Wiimote or Wii U Pro Controller or whatever. I'd probably kill all of you with an arcade stick if the game supported one.

I was interested not anymore, i dunno why they still force people to use this fisher price tablet for games.
Thank you SO MUCH for speaking up. More people need to say this. I want Nintendo to realize their draconian and archaic views on gaming really drag them down as a company.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It should be an option. Let people play however they want. Does someone playing with a Wii U Pro Controller have an edge over someone playing with a Wii Wheel in Mario Kart 8? It's certainly much easier to throw items and drift with a Wii U Pro Controller, but who cares, I'm still going to beat you with my plasticky Wii Wheel. Same principle here. Let me play with a Wiimote or Wii U Pro Controller or whatever. I'd probably kill all of you with an arcade stick if the game supported one.
Dunno if you would because I've played MK8 to death and I don't want to play it again until Nintendo releases DLC 2.

I'm really looking forward to play those new tracks and as Villager, and hopefully in addition they'll announce a free bonus DLC pack for paid customers (just port all NGC/Wii tracks to MK8 filtered graphics or do whatever magic possible just for more variety).

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Dunno if you would because I've played MK8 to death and I don't want to play it again until Nintendo releases DLC 2.

I'm really looking forward to play those new tracks and as Villager, and hopefully in addition they'll announce a free bonus DLC pack for paid customers (just port all NGC/Wii tracks to MK8 filtered graphics or do whatever magic possible just for more variety).

Just fix battle mode and I'm happy.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing that you never played a COD game on Wii, huh? The Wii Remote is godly for shooters, more so than a mouse. Delay? I don't think so! Come into a COD room with a standard controller while everyone else uses a Wii remote and see how quickly you end up respawning. -FACT! Nintendo not having Wii Remote support nor a auto aim feature in the Gamepad control setup is a stupid move. Splatoon was partially made to get their "Blue Oceans" audience into third person shooters. Auto aim and pointer support are the easiest way to get non shooting gamers into shooters.
You just agreed with one of my points. There is supposed to be some lag in the game, but none when aiming using a Wii remote. If they removed the intentional lag, people not using a Wii remote would be at an extreme disadvantage.

Pointing with the Wii remote is great for FPS, but not for TPS.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Did any of you ever use the Gust Bellows in Skyward Sword? Boom. There's your pointer support in "TPS", if you will. It works plenty good and would NOT place anyone at (dis)advantage.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I personally never played CoD on Wii and as far as a Wii shooting game it was Link's Crossbow and from what I remember it wasn't very accurate.

But honestly, I just want a traditional controller on my hands and play. It's how I've always known gaming and it's how I enjoy it, calmly and relaxed.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally never played CoD on Wii and as far as a Wii shooting game it was Link's Crossbow and from what I remember it wasn't very accurate.

But honestly, I just want a traditional controller on my hands and play. It's how I've always known gaming and it's how I enjoy it, calmly and relaxed.

CoD
Metroid Prime 3
Conduit 1 & 2
Goldeneye

best damn shooting experiences on Wii

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gamepad is a necessity in the game. Don't know if you've seen the footage, but a feature of the gameplay is the ability to quickly jump anywhere you needto on the map, in order to do that without slowing down gameplay significantly is you tap anywhere on the map on the gamepad and your character flies to that spot.

CoD
Metroid Prime 3
Conduit 1 & 2
Goldeneye

best damn shooting experiences on Wii

All those are 1st person shooters, 3rd person shooting with the wiimote doesn't sound nearly as intuitive as it is in the 1st person. But to each their own I suppose.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Gamepad is a necessity in the game. Don't know if you've seen the footage, but a feature of the gameplay is the ability to quickly jump anywhere you needto on the map, in order to do that without slowing down gameplay significantly is you tap anywhere on the map on the gamepad and your character flies to that spot.

They could have easily made it compatible with the Wii U Pro Controller for the Player 1 and if the GamePad's map is really a necessity then it'd always be by the player's side to tap on it.

Captain Toad is another one that would've worked with the WUPC but yet again Nintendo decided against it.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I wonder how player 2 is supposed to jump to a different spot on the map, after all player 2 must use a Wii U Pro Controller. Hmm... I'm really puzzled to be honest. :(

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how player 2 is supposed to jump to a different spot on the map, after all player 2 must use a Wii U Pro Controller. Hmm... I'm really puzzled to be honest. :(

I've been thinking about that as well, and I think I've figured it out. Since 2 people can't play together online, I'm guessing that local multiplayer simply doesn't have the feature of jumping to anywhere on the map for player 2 or player 1, making it a different multiplayer experience than you'd get compared to a single player going online.

Having said that, Nintendo has made it possible for 2 people to use gamepads on a single console. They have yet to utilize this feature, but it is a thing they said the Wii U could do. So perhaps, in time an update will come that will allow two gamepads to be utilized with the game for 2 player mode and you'd be able to play the same online multiplayer mode locally, and possibly bring a second player online with you at that point. That's all just a theory, but it does seem like a legit reason to finally utilize that feature, though it obviously isn't something that it will allow right away on release.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nintendo's not even selling GamePads separately so good luck with that, plus if they did it'd probably be $180-200 (eBay prices) per each one as they're the reason why the bundle itself costs more than it should.

Just let us use the Wii U Pro Controller and jump through the quick map on one of the shoulder buttons and call it a day.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gyro to aim, if you get really good at it, it'll help a lot. get gud

Buying Splatoon Day 1. Looks pretty damn fun.

Local Multiplayer isn't a issue because I have a pro controller also.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Co. Ltd. - Ignoring the bitching and moaning of self-entitled gamers since 1889:rolleyes:

"I won't buy X game because it doesn't support Y feature!" Boy, you sure showed them! It's not like anyone's forcing you to buy it, so why make a federal case out of it? I wasn't aware Nintendo owed anyone anything.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's not even selling GamePads separately so good luck with that, plus if they did it'd probably be $180-200 (eBay prices) per each one as they're the reason why the bundle itself costs more than it should.

Just let us use the Wii U Pro Controller and jump through the quick map on one of the shoulder buttons and call it a day.

Well Duh. they'll only sell them separately once they finally release a game that utilizes two gamepads. It makes no sense at this point to sell separate gamepads. Hence why I said it could be a possible future update. The update would come at a time when they offer separate gamepads for sale. Which is clearly something they've considered doing for the future as otherwise there is next to no reason why they made the console able to communicate with two gamepads to begin with.

I think prices would probably be more like $100 max when they do end up as separate purchases in stores, given that a new Wii U console as a whole with a gamepad and game is $250. Ebay prices aren't based on gamepads being something you can actually buy in stores separately.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Duh. they'll only sell them separately once they finally release a game that utilizes two gamepads. It makes no sense at this point to sell separate gamepads. Hence why I said it could be a possible future update. The update would come at a time when they offer separate gamepads for sale. Which is clearly something they've considered doing for the future as otherwise there is next to no reason why they made the console able to communicate with two gamepads to begin with.

I think prices would probably be more like $100 max, given that a new Wii U console as a whole with a gamepad and game is $250. Ebay prices aren't based on gamepads being something you can actually buy in stores separately.

I dont think you get it. Gamepads cost too damn much to justify purchasing another one. Nobody wants to pay 150 - 200 for a controller. Also, a second pad would need to allow the Wii U to do more, like run two pieces of software at the same time

- 2 low end eShop games
- a full retail game and the web browser
- netflix and a game

these three options would be worth a second gamepad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc