Country
United States
omgpwn666 said:
demonicstrife said:
omgpwn666 said:
TwinRetro said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Doesn't make any sense.

It isn't Sony's fault that they got hacked. A hacker with malicious intents did it. Hopefully, the plaintiff doesn't succeed.

It's Sony's fault for not having beefier security. Sony is responsible for keeping a customer's info safe. Sony is also responsible if that information gets into the hands of someone the consumer did not consent to.

Let's say I'm borrowing a Nintendo DS from a friend and I lock the door, yet leave the window open...the thief crawls through the window and steals my friend's DS. By law, I am responsible for his DS the moment he lends it to me, no matter what kind of security I had on my house.

If Sony had the beefiest of security and hackers hacked them people would say ,"they need beefier security". You can never win because people will always talk shit. The forums are equivalent to the graffiti on the restroom walls.
The fact is that they put almost no effort into securing their system. All that info was literally just sitting in there unencrypted for anyone to see if they put a little effort into punching threw.

Why did it take so long to hack the PS3 then? We're non hackers saying they should use better security, we don't know what they had going. Just because someone hacked them does not mean their security sucked.

It's not that the Ps3 wasn't secure. It's that the data that was sent over PSN wasn't encrypted, and that's why the personal information of all the PSN users have been compromised.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omgpwn666 said:
demonicstrife said:
omgpwn666 said:
TwinRetro said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Doesn't make any sense.

It isn't Sony's fault that they got hacked. A hacker with malicious intents did it. Hopefully, the plaintiff doesn't succeed.

It's Sony's fault for not having beefier security. Sony is responsible for keeping a customer's info safe. Sony is also responsible if that information gets into the hands of someone the consumer did not consent to.

Let's say I'm borrowing a Nintendo DS from a friend and I lock the door, yet leave the window open...the thief crawls through the window and steals my friend's DS. By law, I am responsible for his DS the moment he lends it to me, no matter what kind of security I had on my house.

If Sony had the beefiest of security and hackers hacked them people would say ,"they need beefier security". You can never win because people will always talk shit. The forums are equivalent to the graffiti on the restroom walls.
The fact is that they put almost no effort into securing their system. All that info was literally just sitting in there unencrypted for anyone to see if they put a little effort into punching threw.

Why did it take so long to hack the PS3 then? We're non hackers saying they should use better security, we don't know what they had going. Just because someone hacked them does not mean their security sucked.
Microsoft also got hacked a few, yet their Xbox has much more solid security unlike the PS3.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
omgpwn666 said:
demonicstrife said:
omgpwn666 said:
TwinRetro said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Doesn't make any sense.

We have been through this argument time and time again. Until the point that the PS3 was hacked, almost no one was interested in hacking it. It's that simple.

Was there proof of that, or is that speculation? I've seen that message too, but anyone can say that. Not doubting there is proof, but if you can find proof that isn't just some guy on the internet saying stuff, please link it.

@ TheDarkSeed & demonicstrife - That's true, but I still wont find it in myself to wish harm on Sony. That's just evil.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
ShadowSoldier said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Doesn't make any sense.

You do realize that if Sony actually had security and encrypted personal data, the hacker would have had A LOT of trouble of viewing it. But no, they basically put up a piece of paper that "this is a thick wall" written on it. So the hacker to scissors to it. That's all this basically is.
Sucks for them.

Nobody forced anyone to sign up for PSN or get a PS3.
If you're worried about shit like that, don't buy a PS3.

Simple as that.
So if your personal data was taken by someone from anywhere it doesn't matter it the person fault?

Keep that logic while something like this get your data stolen.

D

Deleted_171835

ShadowSoldier said:
Uh no.

They signed an agreement with Sony, an electronic contract, that said Sony will protect user data. And clearly it didn't. This is Sony's fault for fucking up and not having actual security.
Where in the terms and conditions does it say that?

Ikki said:
QUOTE(SoulSnatcher @ Apr 27 2011, 11:11 PM) Doesn't make any sense.

Say, you give your credit card to a cashier, she/he puts it down on the whatever it is they have, then a guy sneaks by, takes it and gets out. Is it your fault for giving it to the cashier? Or the cashier's for being careless?

It's exactly the same situation here, just online.
No, it isn't the "exact same situation".

THEY AGREED TO PSN'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

Also, you can't expect Sony to protect against every possible security breach. That's unreasonable.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
SoulSnatcher said:
TwinRetro said:
It doesn't matter...Consumers "lent" their data to Sony, Sony is responsible if that data is compromised. There are very few things that are so black and white.
They also had to agree with PSN's terms and conditions before going on the network.

It says in the terms and conditions that Sony is
CODEnot liable for any loss of data or any “unauthorized access,” to said data when using Sony Online Network.

If they were worried, they shouldn't have signed up for PSN.

The T&C was written by Sony, and is not above the reach of US law. When was the last time a T&C agreement held up in court? Any judge worth his salt will laugh it off like every other judge that has been presented with the argument of "Well, durr it was in the T&C so he agreed to it so i'm above the law, derp"

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Uh no.

They signed an agreement with Sony, an electronic contract, that said Sony will protect user data. And clearly it didn't. This is Sony's fault for fucking up and not having actual security.

Ikki said:

Say, you give your credit card to a cashier, she/he puts it down on the whatever it is they have, then a guy sneaks by, takes it and gets out. Is it your fault for giving it to the cashier? Or the cashier's for being careless?

Also, you can't expect Sony to protect against every possible security breach. That's unreasonable.
Of course we don't. But little effort was put toward that in the first place.

@omgpwn666: I only said they were screwed.
tongue.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Uh no.

Ikki said:

Well going into a store and buying something is still you agreeing to that store's T&C.

D

Deleted_171835

KingVamp said:
So if your personal data was taken by someone from anywhere it doesn't matter it the person fault?

I don't understand what you're saying.

QUOTE(TwinRetro @ Apr 27 2011, 04:35 PM) The T&C was written by Sony, and is not above the reach of US law. When was the last time a T&C agreement held up in court? Any judge worth his salt will laugh it off like every other judge that has been presented with the argument of "Well, durr it was in the T&C so he agreed to it so i'm above the law, derp"
I didn't know there was a law that made Sony liable for EVERY SINGLE SECURITY BREACH.

Why don't we sue every other company that has had a security breach?
After all, it makes PERFECT SENSE!

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
SoulSnatcher said:
TwinRetro said:
It doesn't matter...Consumers "lent" their data to Sony, Sony is responsible if that data is compromised. There are very few things that are so black and white.
They also had to agree with PSN's terms and conditions before going on the network.

CODEnot liable for any loss of data or any “unauthorized access,” to said data when using Sony Online Network.

The T&C was written by Sony, and is not above the reach of US law. When was the last time a T&C agreement held up in court? Any judge worth his salt will laugh it off like every other judge that has been presented with the argument of "Well, durr it was in the T&C so he agreed to it so i'm above the law, derp"
the point your missing is thats its a binding contract between the user and SCE

and every PSN user agreed to this when they signed up for the service (probably about 99% of them didnt bother to read it and just hit agree)

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
SoulSnatcher said:
KingVamp said:

QUOTE(TwinRetro @ Apr 27 2011, 04:35 PM) The T&C was written by Sony, and is not above the reach of US law. When was the last time a T&C agreement held up in court? Any judge worth his salt will laugh it off like every other judge that has been presented with the argument of "Well, durr it was in the T&C so he agreed to it so i'm above the law, derp"
I didn't know there was a law that made Sony liable for EVERY SINGLE SECURITY BREACH.

Usually those companies do get sued. You just never hear it in the news because it's not worth reporting. Usually small time shit involving small companies and a few people's compromised info.

D

Deleted_171835

machomuu said:
Well going into a store and buying something is still you agreeing to that store's T&C.
Yet another analogy that doesn't make any sense.

The store doesn't force you to agree to their terms and conditions.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Joe88 said:
TwinRetro said:
SoulSnatcher said:
TwinRetro said:

the point your missing is thats its a binding contract between the user and SCE

and every PSN user agreed to this when they signed up for the service (probably about 99% of them didnt bother to read it and just hit agree)

The point you are missing is the precedent has been set a long time ago that agreements of those kinds are NOT LEGALLY BINDING.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
KingVamp said:

Ikki said it better.

Of course not,but you seem to not understand how big this security breach it.

This is a lot of people you could possible lose money and other stuff.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
This company just can't catch a break. I almost feel sorry for them.

I can't even remotely agree. SONY had this shit coming from day one. a bunch of thieving pirates finally got what they deserve.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one