Sony says condemning Vita before its first Christmas is 'preposter

Status
Not open for further replies.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
UMDs are shit. Anything to move from that shit format is a good thing.

They're moving back to cassette tape with mini discs as the interim step.U

UMD's weren't that bad...they certainly didn't stop me buying them, even buying second hand. Yep it was a bit stupid opting for that format but it wasn't critical to the PSP's failure.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was certainly cheaper to manufacture than flash storage and I don't think it was all that prone to failure - the casing protected the disc itself for the most part.

The problem of the UMD was not one of the medium - it didn't suffer from skipping as much as people claim it did, at least I didn't notice any issues in that regard, the loading times may have been long, but not horrible and the storage capacity was more than sufficient. The problem was that the medium was used on a mobile device which by proxy are unable to use an optic drive properly - the battery and being constantly on-the-move are too much of a barrier for those.

The Vita is sort of like stepping up from Discman players to MP3 players - it's just "better" and we have to accept it.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Vita is sort of like stepping up from Discman players to MP3 players - it's just "better" and we have to accept it.
except that in this particular discman to mp3 player scenario, the manufacturer only provides the ability to convert their CDs to MP3s in one region, and gives a big fat "SCREW YOU!" to everyone else.

Ok, ok I'll stop now. But I get what you're saying. :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except that in this particular discman to mp3 player scenario, the manufacturer only provides the ability to convert their CDs to MP3s in one region, and gives a big fat "SCREW YOU!" to everyone else.

Ok, ok I'll stop now. But I get what you're saying.
Converting CD's to MP3's can be quite a legal tackle in some areas, y'know. As an example, I give you South Africa and their interpretation of Anti-Copying law: http://mybroadband.c...egal-in-sa.html

Yes, their interpretation is that owning a CD gives you a license to listen music from that particular physical CD, not the "music itself". The RIAA appears to share this approach:
http://www.wired.com...iaa-believes-m/ although U.S law does not explicitly forbid or allow ripping CD's - it does, however, state that circumventing any anti-ripping protection is illegal, so in some cases, you're not entitled to create MP3's even if you own a CD.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The developers don't want to develop for underselling systems, yet the systems are underselling because the developers aren't producing many games. It is not correct to blame Sony 100%, as the developers are contributing to the problem by not contributing.
That's not entirely true.

The system had a slow start - fair play. So did the 3DS, but the sales picked up eventually, and not because it got games all of a sudden - it's because it was marketed properly, and the price cut it received was also a factor.

The Vita desperately needs an advertising campaign and good bundles, and Christmas is the best season to push them.

Sorry but the initial 3ds sales were meh but they weren't not at the psvita level

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The developers don't want to develop for underselling systems, yet the systems are underselling because the developers aren't producing many games. It is not correct to blame Sony 100%, as the developers are contributing to the problem by not contributing.
That's not entirely true.

The system had a slow start - fair play. So did the 3DS, but the sales picked up eventually, and not because it got games all of a sudden - it's because it was marketed properly, and the price cut it received was also a factor.

The Vita desperately needs an advertising campaign and good bundles, and Christmas is the best season to push them.

Sorry but the initial 3ds sales were meh but they weren't not at the psvita level

The 3DS also wasn't competing with another (active) console. Except for the PSP to a minor extent but that was Japan only.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love my Vita, I have bought many games on the PSN (I dont know, maybe around 15 titles, maybe more) for it, but really, I know there's something missing. IMO, people keep saying that Uncharted is a good game... yeah a LINEAR good game that I wont play ever again. Many other games are remakes/ports, Gravity Rush was a great idea but, it's just so damn repetitive I just couldn't/wanted to play anymore. The new Silent Hill game is crap, Retro City Rampage is awesome but it will be available for any other console... the Smash Bros clone... God no! Have you even tried to read something about the upcoming Call of Duty? It seems like I will save my money.

A bit of an off topic but since when did linearity dictate bad game design? Some games are designed to be linear, end of story. A game isn't great if it's nonlinear and it's not bad if it is linear.

SNERP

THIS HOLY SHIZ X like A MILLION

Why do people automatically jump to "Its to linear, sandbox/openworld is better"? Do you not know where games came from? Most of the open world games ive played are really effing boring. Most of the game feels like "fetch quest 2010" or "go find NPC 3"

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like it when people are taking my points with an ounce of seriousness. :(

It was funny because its true! lol

Especially if you where talking UMD movies.... I think they might have been popular but they should have cost like 10$ at most.

Also the whole concept seems incredibly outdated considering digitally distributed movies were like already thing. Like I might as well buy a portable DVD player instead of rebuying UMD versions of my movies. Also the selection was horrible and there was really no reason to take it over movie content provided on iTunes and such.

Reactions: 2 people

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like it when people are taking my points with an ounce of seriousness. :(

It was funny because its true! lol

Especially if you where talking UMD movies.... I think they might have been popular but they should have cost like 10$ at most.

Also the whole concept seems incredibly outdated considering digitally distributed movies were like already thing. Like I might as well buy a portable DVD player instead of rebuying UMD versions of my movies. Also the selection was horrible and there was really no reason to take it over movie content provided on iTunes and such.

My wife spent like $600 on a portable DVD player about that time.... I still have it and I think I used it like 8 times :( Total waste of money. Same thing for the DVD player in my Expedition it never gets used.... Although the kids did use it for playing some games since it has an input. (PSOne was actually pretty cool for this.)

Portable movies are one of those things, its nice to have but you rarely use it :( I think my iPod classic I have used to watch more movies on than any other portable movie player. Of course being able to stuff 120GB's on it helps.... lol

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you expect a system with limited to no games to sell well?

Its like selling a phone but you don't get the screen, speaker or camera but just an empty shell.
As said before avoid those numbers since they are just the Japanese sales not international. Media Create also has numbers that conflict with Famitsu and some other sources so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Rasas

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you expect a system with limited to no games to sell well?

Its like selling a phone but you don't get the screen, speaker or camera but just an empty shell.
As said before avoid those numbers since they are just the Japanese sales not international. Media Create also has numbers that conflict with Famitsu and some other sources so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

It might only be for one region but I doubt that the Vita is doing any better in other places. If it was Sony surely would be shouting those numbers from the rooftops.

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might only be for one region but I doubt that the Vita is doing any better in other places. If it was Sony surely would be shouting those numbers from the rooftops.
Sony isn't shouting them. While for a while it was selling 2:1 it has changed during recent weeks. It is still bad but at least it is nearing the one one level.
Source
Source 2:1 Sales

Reactions: Rasas

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If condemning the Vita before Christmas is deemed preposterous, then I guess that would mean praising its sales would be better.

Or just realizing its sales are bad but saying "Hey, it's still early, it has a chance" instead of being Debby Downer who gets a raging erection over the failure of the Vita.

Reactions: 3 people

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
all they need to do is make a viral marketing campaign with a 1980's style nintendo commercial complete with a white kid rapping horribly and it'll sell like hotcakes! On a more serious note: I had a feeling that a portable PS3 wasn't going to garner the attention of many, especially with such a limited library of games that are pretty much just ports of PS3 games. Yes I know there are a few exceptions but there's nothing it has that grabs the attention or tries to bring new ideas or really complement the Vita at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...