Sony patents the "EyePad"

aalokishere

Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
Out of how many patents? I saw a patent for a fucking horse riding simulator peripheral for the Wii. It was literally a fucking virtual saddle.
Nicely said
wiisaddle1.jpg

Giddy up

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Christ, almighty. Is it really that hard to see what sony is doing here? No, this isn't some evil scheme, a ripping off game or anything like that. At best, it's hidden advertisement, but TBH I doubt that too.

Think about it for a moment. Patents are obviously made public (if not, there would be no way to sue anybody about it...those others can just say they didn't know about it). But, as a company, if you're only going to patent the things you're really going to make, the competition (and nowadays the media as well) knows what you're going to be making. And start thinking and making a similar thing (say...just different enough to get around the patent).

So how are you going to make an innovative product? Easy: by patenting more than you're going to make. Guild and others have already pointed out that there are thousands of these patents flying around. And TBH...with a new console from microsoft and sony being prepared, it's only normal that "false" patents are filed*. It's smoke and mirrors, really. The only way to keep things surprising for the audience nowadays is to influence the rumor mill with these kinds of stories.

And when looking at the picture or the name, I'd say someone thought it was a good idea to cause a bit of controversy, thus ensuring people are talking about it. I can't say it isn't effective. A sketch that's probably drawn in ten minutes and a name that draws the attention of any apple-users out there...good going. All they really need now is piss of xbox users. I guess that's something for another patent. ;)

And what's with all these "lawsuit" screams? It's a patent, damnit. If there was anything wrong legally, it would never have passed the (internal) certification in the first place. And it's not like apple or nintendo can file a lawsuit for a piece of paper (well...perhaps they can. But at best, they can get the patent voided, which isn't exactly profitable).

*it's between brackets because those patents are most likely as real as can be. But that doesn't mean the company thinks for a second that they're really going to make the product.

Reactions: Sterling and Qtis

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not likely as long as nintendo keep coming up with ideas they'll be there to steal them. They're fucking scum and I will never buy a playstation ever again. It's getting real close to I won't ever buy $ony products ever again too.

Please tell us how you really feel. :glare: :rolleyes:

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Christ, almighty. Is it really that hard to see what sony is doing here? No,

And when looking at the picture or the name, I'd say someone thought it was a good idea to cause a bit of controversy, thus ensuring people are talking about it. I can't say it isn't effective. A sketch that's probably drawn in ten minutes and a name that draws the attention of any apple-users out there...good going. All they really need now is piss of xbox users. I guess that's something for another patent. ;)

I don't think they actually sat there, drew a sketch, named it eyepad and thought let the fun and games begin, I think they probably put a lot of thought into the tech involved in such a concept, wrote a report on the possibilities, theoretically devved it, wrote a patent and submitted it .

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP2557482A2.html

The "Apple of my eye" is calling for a morning coffee, I must go make her one before I get sued for saying such a thing...bbiab :P

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's great to see that most people have no idea how the patent system works in the US or let alone the rest of the world. Also the patent was filed in 2012 (with development having taken place a long time before). If something is patented, the time and effort made to dev that device is protected. Have you people seen the iPhone design patents for example? They basically just outline the screen and anything else is just optional. This patent at least looks quite a bit like many other devices. Even a big PSP/PSVita. It's really amazing how much people look at the consumer market patents (phones, computers, tablets, game consoles, etc) compared to industrial applications. Everything and the kitchen sink (probably multi-sinks too!) are patented in one way and the other with copied concepts from every other manufacturer. A patent gives some levy to the first inventor, but it doesn't mean that they have to use that device straight away. It could just as well be a so called placeholder for a future design. It could even be a new gaming tablet from Sony, *gasp*! If some kind of Android/whatever tablet device was capable of integrating with PSN and able to play the games on a big screen without needing a TV, I'd imagine quite a few people would be interested.

So technically the device can be a big ass PSVita sans 1 analog (strictly according to the patent images), but everyone is screaming "WIIUUUUUU CLONNEE, IIIPPAAAD CLOONEE, LAWSUITS LOLL!".. Great job guys, great job..

Reactions: Taleweaver

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Christ, almighty. Is it really that hard to see what sony is doing here? No, this isn't some evil scheme, a ripping off game or anything like that. At best, it's hidden advertisement, but TBH I doubt that too.

Think about it for a moment. Patents are obviously made public (if not, there would be no way to sue anybody about it...those others can just say they didn't know about it). But, as a company, if you're only going to patent the things you're really going to make, the competition (and nowadays the media as well) knows what you're going to be making. And start thinking and making a similar thing (say...just different enough to get around the patent).

So how are you going to make an innovative product? Easy: by patenting more than you're going to make. Guild and others have already pointed out that there are thousands of these patents flying around. And TBH...with a new console from microsoft and sony being prepared, it's only normal that "false" patents are filed*. It's smoke and mirrors, really. The only way to keep things surprising for the audience nowadays is to influence the rumor mill with these kinds of stories.

And what's with all these "lawsuit" screams? It's a patent, damnit. If there was anything wrong legally, it would never have passed the (internal) certification in the first place. And it's not like apple or nintendo can file a lawsuit for a piece of paper (well...perhaps they can. But at best, they can get the patent voided, which isn't exactly profitable).

*it's between brackets because those patents are most likely as real as can be. But that doesn't mean the company thinks for a second that they're really going to make the product.
That's possibly the dumbest thing I've read all week. Patents aren't filed to throw other companies and the media off the scent. They're filed during the course of R&D as a means to protect a potential future invention (patent trolls aside). Filing a patent costs money. For the average person, this ranges for a few hundred dollars upwards to a couple of thousand. For companies with the best intellectual property lawyers money can buy, the patent search alone will cost a few thousand. That's not including the money being plowed into R&D in the first place. Yes, not every patented idea gets made, but they're filed so that nobody else can do it first.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Interesting posts there, Qthis and McHaggis. It sure puts some context in this thread. :)

However...McHaggis...
Yes, not every patented idea gets made, but they're filed so that nobody else can do it first.
this sentence kinda ruins the rest of your post. I'm honestly trying to take it seriously, as I know you mean it that way. But...do you agree this sounds a bit...strange in this case?

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
well a controller with screen for gameplay is nintendo idea
Actually based on your definition right there... WiiU ripped off Dreamcast as some games involved parts played on the VMU when plugged into the controller... I.E. Quake 3 Arena had one

Regardless of the quality of the game on the VMU based on what you put there Game on Controller :P

dc.jpg

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I had an idea, maybe this patent has nothing to do with Playstation products.
They make mobile gaming devices too you know (Xperia Play).

A true tablet would compete with the Vita. (Have you noticed that they haven't refreshed the Xperia Play?) Sony would have to give up on the Vita before they came out with another device that had gamepad controls.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A true tablet would compete with the Vita. (Have you noticed that they haven't refreshed the Xperia Play?) Sony would have to give up on the Vita before they came out with another device that had gamepad controls.
Not unless the new device is a big ass tablet. Big ass tablets always have their own market. Otherwise we wouldn't have an iPod, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, etc. All are basically the same thing with some added or missing features compared to the others.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
and ..once again..Sony has to copy what others do first...
You mean like how they created the first console which adopted the DVD format and played movies, the first controller to use a dual analog setup which then became a staple of video game controllers, also equipped with pressure-sensitive buttons unlike any controller before, the first camera Add-On which was actually used in games rather than just for taking photos (like the Dreamcast's camera) and how they were the first to introduce HDD's in consoles with their HDD and Network adapter and more? Oh yeah, Sony doesn't innovate.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean like how they created the first console which adopted the DVD format and played movies, the first controller to use a dual analog setup which then became a staple of video game controllers, also equipped with pressure-sensitive buttons unlike any controller before, the first camera Add-On which was actually used in games rather than just for taking photos (like the Dreamcast's camera) and how they were the first to introduce HDD's in consoles with their HDD and Network adapter and more? Oh yeah, Sony doesn't innovate.

Depending upon how you phrase that I should note the Philips CD-i did play VCD back in 1991.
Dual analogs... to the best of my knowledge I will give you standard games consoles but various flight sims and some arcade stuff might have to appear if we are going for true firsts.
Pressure sensitive.... assuming DC triggers do not count then some of the arcade stuff had fully depress and half depress options for buttons.
On cameras if I was being cheap I should say the GB Camera but that was texturing so that does not really count vs eyetoy stuff which was an actual game controlled with a camera. The functionality was not alien to webcams though.
HDD - I want to say amiga but that would be an actual debate to hold that up.

Still I will +1 you as they did take it and make it work (aka the Apple model but done well enough and even more DRM heavy) where everybody before was largely a pack of unguided types.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Still I will +1 you as they did take it and make it work (aka the Apple model but done well enough and even more DRM heavy) where everybody before was largely a pack of unguided types.
With the analog sticks I was thinking about "nubs", meaning "not joysticks" that are used on a gamepad, that narrows the field a lot. :P

As for Dreamcast's triggers, I see a difference between a trigger and a button - they serve slightly different functions (for example a trigger like this would be great for accelerating in racing games wheras a button wouldn't work the same way since it has less travel. On the other hand, a pressure-sensitive button is great for pulling out a gun when lightly pressed and shooting when pressed all the way, like in MGS2 - in this case, a trigger would have too much travel and could cost you a shot) and the electronics behind them are different as well.

I haven't thought of VCD to be honest, I was thinking strictly about DVD's - VCD never reached a high level of popularity as far as I know and the CD-i... well... it tries to be a console really hard but it looks and feels like a "media player" of sorts, including the base controller. Wikipedia classifies it similarily - as a media player with the capacity to play video games, aka an "interactive CD player" rather than as a console with the capacity to play video.

I excluded the Game Boy Camera since it's a handheld console and, as I said, I meant a camera used for actual control of the game proper, not a device for taking and fiddling with photos.

Finally, the Amiga... I do believe it's a home computer, not really a console even though its primary use was video games.

I won't lie, Sony takes a lot of "ideas" from other companies and they do apply them in their products, but they do so in their own, very specific way. They take something that works and make it work "better", plus they add their own flair of innovation - that's hardly a bad thing. There are certain concepts, certain devices and certain designs that are meant to become common place - if not for all the "copying" we'd live in a world of monopoly. If a given concept can be utilized in a way that will in the long run make gaming better, I applaud using this concept by all three competitors - how else is gaming going to progress? I get the feeling that people put too much stress on "who did it first" without really thinking of "who does it well".

//Almost a "FAST-Post" in terms of length :P

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I get the feeling that people put too much stress on "who did it first" without really thinking of "who does it well".

I'm all for blatant ripoffs and improvements. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3, after all. I think that Sony isn't "doing it well" these days. (Move? Vita connectivity? All-Stars?) Maybe they are copying the wrong things?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm all for blatant ripoffs and improvements. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3, after all. I think that Sony isn't "doing it well" these days. (Move? Vita connectivity? All-Stars?) Maybe they are copying the wrong things?
  1. PSMove is hardly a copy of anything - it was in the works even back in the PS2 days. If they "copied" anything then perhaps it was the form-factor, but the core concept was born before the WiiMote, since that's what you think it "copies", right? Not only that, the WiiMote is not the first controller of its kind - Midway had an incredibly similar one in the works for the Dreamcast. That, and... well, the "WiiMote" technically "copies" every TV Remote in existence, going by that logic.
  2. What's wrong with Vita connectivity? Can you be more specific? If you mean "online" then damn, it's probably the best "online" portable to ever grace the planet, and I'm saying that with full certainty. PSN on the PSVita is da bomb and nobody's going to convince me otherwise.
  3. All-Stars is hardly a rip-off, it's part of a genre of games that's actually very popular in Japan. I had this conversation before and I think I managed to list, like, 20 titles that are very "Smash-Like" in 5 minutes. Not only that, the core mechanics of Smash Bros. and All-Stars are completely different. They may be riding on the popularity of Smash Bros., but don't you think that it's a little late for that? I mean, Smash Bros. was popular for eons and now they come up with the idea to "rip it off"? That's debatable.
  4. Galaxy S3 copies something? :unsure: I find the design to actually be relatively original. To be perfectly honest, I'd be glad if it "copied" the iPhone more accurately as I'm not a fan of the shape - I like "sharper" rectangles better than the curved ones... but that's a matter of taste, I suppose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...