Sony patents the "EyePad"

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a patent application, they probably wouldn't use that name. And I'd like to see them use that design, Nintendo would be all over them with a lawsuit for copyright infringement over controller design and if they used that name, Apple would sue them because of like-ness in name.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
The name wouldn't fly - they'd lose the very first trial against Apple (as such trial would be inevitable) simply because "iPad" and "EyePad" sounds exactly the same.

As for copying claims:
  • Who cares?
  • It's just a patent.
  • Everyone is entitled to manufacture a tablet with gaming-related controls except Sony - in their case it's copying.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody is claiming Nintendo invented tablets with gaming controls. I think the copying argument stems from using a tablet with gaming related controls as a primary controller for a home console being an original Nintendo idea. But yes, it's not the first time you and Guild have rushed to Sony's defense like this ;)

It certainly does seem like a twist on Nintendo's GamePad, used as a move controller for the home console. Sure, it doesn't mean they'll do it but Move followed the Wii remote and nunchuk in a very similar manner. You cant really blame people for thinking its a little bit of history repeating. Besides, i think they probably have this in mind for if the GamePad becomes popular and their innovation doesn't.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a patent application, they probably wouldn't use that name. And I'd like to see them use that design, Nintendo would be all over them with a lawsuit for copyright infringement over controller design and if they used that name, Apple would sue them because of like-ness in name.

Because Nintendo invented touchscreen and button controllers?

Considering that these devices are quite similar in looks and tech and only similar in the core concept, they have no leg to stand on.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Sounds like it's intended to be used as some form of AR (aside from all the other obvious tablet style features), in conjunction with the eyetoy and the ps3 .

Sounds like there's a fair amount of DEV gone into it although we only see a naff sketch.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like it's intended to be used as some form of AR (aside from all the other obvious tablet style features), in conjunction with the eyetoy and the ps3 .

Sounds like there's a fair amount of DEV gone into it although we only see a naff sketch.

I was thinking the same, something kinda like Wonderbook but a bit more expansive.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
dunno wtf a wonderbook is tbh ... :) I just read through the patent .

Snippet :

Hence, based on the above features, using the PS3, the EyeToy and the EyePad it is possible for the PS3 to obtain data regarding:

the absolute position of the EyePad with respect to an image captured by the EyeToy;
the relative orientation of the EyePad in six axes from motion sensors;
The status of any button or joystick controls on the EyePad;
The location of one or more touch points on the EyePad touchpad; and
The appearance and 3D shape of an object within the common volume occupying the space immediately above the touchpad.
Given this information, it is then also possible to calculate the position and orientation of the common volume as this has a fixed relationship to the EyeToy, and from this it is also possible to calculate the position and orientation of an object within the common volume.

In use, the EyePad can be treated firstly as an active augmented reality (AR) marker; the combination of the illuminated regions detected by the PS3 using the EyeToy and the telemetry from the EyePad itself provide accurate position and orientation information that is advantageously robust to common environmental problems that affect normal AR markers, such as adverse lighting conditions, partial occlusion or temporary complete occlusion, and small viewing angles.

The detection of the position of the EyePad using its own illumination, together with telemetry from the motion sensors within the EyePad, make the location and orientation of the surface of the Eyepad (e.g. the touch pad area) possible even in complete darkness.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo might not have invented the whole analog controls on a tablet thing, but they sure were close to it... The first Game And Watch things hit in 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_&_Watch

The screen might be better and there might be more buttons and CPU's beyond the wildest dreams of the day. But the basic concept is all there. Sound, Graphics, Portable, fun? Maybe... lol

There might be some sort of earlier portable game systems with controls and an LCD screen but I am not aware of them off hand.

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LAWSUITS. Lawsuits everywhere.
26000619.jpg

Good going sony ;)

Reactions: Chary

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In March the patent system is changing for the better in the US.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/16/first-to-file-a-primer/ One of the main changes resulting from the passage of the America Invents Act (AIA) is the transition of U.S. patent law from a “first-to-invent” system to a “first-to-file” system on March 16. With the transition a mere four weeks away, it is important to understand what this change to the patent system means for inventors and companies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it