Sony Patents Adding DLC To Emulated Games

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    One of the biggest potential features, and one of the biggest mysteries, for the PS4 has been Sony's Gaikai service. Little is known about what exactly Sony intends to do with it, though most have assumed/inferred that Sony will let users stream PS1/PS2/PS3 games in an effort to make up for the PS4's lack of backwards compatibility.

However, a recently published patent from Sony may shed some more light on their intention, but will it leave gamers... content?

No, probably not.

:arrow:IGN

Retroactive DLC, ahoy!

...Or not. Remember, just because Sony has filed a patent for something doesn't mean they will ever get around to using it. Sometimes these things just, well, split. Plus, just because developers can go back and add extra content to their old games doesn't mean they will. There's not going to be a whole lot of incentive to develop new content for age old games (no matter how much of a guaranteed success a "Let Me Explain Some Shit" patch for MGS2 might seem).

Then again, who knows what Sony is thinking...

2. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    I saw this a few days ago and my initial impression of it was that for games of the PS1 and PS2 era, it would mean nothing more than some kind of trophy integration into games. It would certainly to a degree give them a new lease of life for people who like that sort of thing.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Seems like a good idea to me, as long as it's actually decent DLC and not just horse armor.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Uhh...and why not? Adding new content to older games sounds like...a good idea? I don't see a problem with this.

5. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Because gamers aren't "content" with anything, especially if it's downloadable.

beta4attack likes this.
  6. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    DLC for classic and emulated games? Even if it is just stuff like extra trophies or adding achievements for old games, it will press on the nostaligc nerve of gamers. Im cautiously optermistic about this, Sony impressed me in 2013 in lots of ways. So im going to give them the benefit of the doubt here and say that this sounds like it could be a clever way to fill a void of a lack of games.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  7. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I want Crash Bandicoot extra Levels.
    I want extra Spyro Levels.
    I want new courses in Crash Team Racing.
    I want all these things that's will never happen, but I can dream right? ;w;

Oswarlan and EZ-Megaman like this.
  8. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    How low...? can YOU go!

Sorry but this is nothing but squeezing money out of gamers.
    Trophy integration, okay, they did a similar thing with Okami.
    But actual DLC for old games.
    No way.

jalaneme likes this.
  9. Oswarlan

Oswarlan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States

New courses for CTR? More Spyro? More Crash? I would pay for this. Even if it was still on PS1. Seriously, my wallet is right here. How much?

chavosaur likes this.
  10. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh

There was a project that introduced such a concept for CTR.
    I'll dig in my old HD and see if I still have a custom level from X3n.

11. Oswarlan

Oswarlan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    D..Don't get my hopes up like this man...

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    This is almost as bad as their patenting trophments for old games a while back ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-sony...ntegration-into-all-non-trophy-titles.344991/ ).
    If I have time later I will have a little giggle at the ineptitude of the patent office in question, that said the opening quote makes it sound like I could recycle my responses to that thread (it is basic computer science that is obvious to anybody with the barest clue how things work).

13. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Where are the trophies for older games!? Waiting for some P3P trophies!

14. Dork

Dork Newbie

Warning: Spoilers inside!

15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    What does "old games" mean, exactly? There's been DLC for some years, now. I guess they're just allowing developers who want to use Gaikai to have a way to sell the DLC on those games as well (rather than having it all-included).

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I think it's a cool feature. Sony's previously patented a way to add achievements in retro titles, DLC is welcome as well. :yay:

17. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I hope it isn't just "edit save file prior to loading the game"

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I have now read the claim, some good patent speak in it by the way,.... it seems the "do it over a network" is the new "but I built a chip to run this maths" end run around doing something blindingly obvious. Sadly I am told I have to shoot down every claim rather than just the fundamental ones if I am trashing a US patent and I am not prepared to do the lot right now.

Still
    Or if you prefer
    Have any of you ever loaded a savestate/savegame or loaded some cheats and then passed the controller over to your friend and said "beat my time"?
    Have any of you ever saved a game and then tried to see if you could kill all the townsfolk/go nuts before loading the normal game and carrying on?
    Have any of you ever saved a game and then replayed a section a few times because you liked it?

Wait, you have done all three? In that case congratulations you have invented this before Sony. Have you ever sent your save to a friend in an email, on a USB drive, over a network share.... the congratulations you have done the other part.

Everything else seems to be able to be answered by *points at kaillera* or any emulator with netplay. Alternatively *points at VNC/RDP/teamviewer/any remote control application that transmits a screen around*.

If it ever came to court I would have to argue that a control system, being largely outside the chip doing the crunching, operates over a bus and a bus is then basically a network.

Sterling, wrettcaughn and Veho like this.
  19. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    While I would normally agree, looking at how Age of Empires 2 got a new expansion pack (albeit a repacked fan made mod) after 13 years and it was a fantastic game add-on, I like the idea. It's not like you have to buy the expansions. The original content would probably be there in full.

20. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Fan made stuff etc is mostly always free of charge.
    I van see this "DLC" costing up to 20 quid.